Worth upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1 Speakers

sapper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I currently have a 5.1 system based on my Arcam P7 power amp - with my front monitor Audios bi-amped, and the thre remaining channels driving my gold Centre and my Silver rears bought in 2004.

I am debating wether to upgrade to a 7.1. I wasn't sure whether this should go in the speaker thread or amplifiers or....

But I chose the amps/receivers as there maybe many people out there debating whether the upgrade to 7.1 is a worthy up-grade?!?!?!?

There are several hurdles for this..

• I need to buy a new stereo power-amp to drive the new speakers.
  • I will need to invest in new speakers preferably in a cherry finish to match the room decor.
  • Finally unsure where I would mount the speakers.

Please refer to the link below for pictures of the room but essentially my room is approx.. 5 M wide and 4.5 meters deep and is effectively a square other than the little indent on the back left looking at the screen for access to the balcony.

I understand the speakers that i would be adding would be mounted along the sides. For logistical reasons this would be along the sides in-front of the main seating areas.

Because of the window, the one on the left hand side would have to be mounted below the window between a wall and a dining table! On the right hand side, due to a wooden partion door which is never opened the speaker would also be infront of the main seating postion and much closer to the ceiling.

So my questions are...

Is it worth the increase in the number of speakers?

1. If the answer is yes, where is the best place to mount them in my room?
  2. What sort of power amp should I look for, there are a couple of 5 channel power amps goind in the classifies but it all adds cash issues!
  3. Finally what speakers should I get at the moment? An extreme solution would be to buy a new pair of Monito Audio GRFX speakers and move the existing onse down the side

Finally I am contemplating an upgrade of my processor possibly the marantz AV7005 or the Onkyo SSC5008.

Comments, thoughts and suggestions please.

Adrian

Moved to processors and power amps as none of your question specifically relate to Av receivers, but you do ask specifically about upgrades for power amps and audio processors.

Moved to processors and power amps as none of your question specifically relate to Av receivers, but you do ask specifically about upgrades for power amps and audio processors.

Happy Days...

A i mentioned, I wasn't sure whether, speakers, amps or processors was the more relevant forum. I opted for the amps/receivers s that forum seems to have more visitors!

Adrian

Edit:

Whilst browsing the speaker forum, I came across this post, am reading/digesting now...

But it seems that having the surrounds in front of me is not a good idea, even with speakers behind me?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1283892-advice-positioning-rear-5-1-speakers.html

Last edited:
In a 5.1 the "surrounds" are supposed to be at the sides, but many people including myself put them somewhat behind the listener to give a more enveloping sound. 7.1 adds rear channels, so in this case your existing surround channels should be either side and your new channels behind you.

Sorry if you knew this already but your post read as if the new channels would be at the sides and the existing 5.1 non-front channels (for want of a better term) would be at the back.

:)

PS I don't know the answer to your question though. :)

You have two basic questions.
1) How do you set up the room?
This is best answered by reference to the THX biblehere. As you can see, the additional speakers will be on the rear wall, the 5.1 you already have are the "side" surrounds placed at 90°-110°. I can't help you correlate this to your room plan, as I can't find your room layout links. Generally though, if your room isn't amenable to 7.1, you might just as well stick to 5.1, and if your 5.1 isn't achievable, then 7.1 will hardly be worth it.

BTW, the easiest way to cope with doors, windows, open dining spaces, etc. is to mount the speakers on the ceiling or on the wall above the door, aimed down. This was my solution.

2) Is 7.1 worth while?
Let's start by assuming room compatibility. The only 7.1 sources are Bluray and some games. DVD tops out at a rarely used 6.1. Broadcast, DVD-A and SACD are all 5.1 maximum. So unless you're into BD, upgrading to 7.1 makes little sense.

Matching MA speakers makes the most sense. Since you have a P7, whcih is a pretty decent 7 channel power amp, I'd suggest just using that, and see if not biamping does make that much of a real difference.

Mark

Thank you for your reply, and it has confirmed what I have sort of picked up from reading various threads on this and other forums/articles.

Yes I do have a blu-ray player but I do not watch it that often really for the hassle and investment required.

I might however, though upgrade my rear speakers. As with a lot of people in these forums they are on the back wall due to the side walls being too awkward to mount them effectively.

Adrian

I would definitely recommend going for 7.1 rather than 5.1, depends what your source of music will mainly consist of however.

For games and films it's ace.

As with a lot of people in these forums they are on the back wall due to the side walls being too awkward to mount them effectively.
If you have already been force to entertain the serious compromise of locating the surround speakers on the rear wall, there seems little point in considering 7.1. You would gain much more merely by repositioning the surround speakers, if feasible.

Like you, I had problems with the lack of free side wall for mounting the surround speakers, and an open space behind me, meaning there was no wall for the rear speaker. I therefore purchased speakers with ceiling-mount facilities and solved the problem of surrounds and rears that way.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom