1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth upgrading from 3801 to 3805?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by garrad, Aug 4, 2004.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In early 2002 i bought my Denon 3801. I asked the sales guy if a new amp was coming out soon and he said no. After a month the 3802 was released so I was a little pi**ed. I got over it. I was happy with my 3801 and Kef Home Theater speakers in my 7.1 setup.

Now I see the Denon 3805 is coming out soon and with the new audio decoders built in is it really worth to upgrade to the latest amp?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I don't have any direct experience of that receiver obviously,but any decision to change is going to have to be based on how happy you are with your existing setup,and how much better(if at all) the new one performs with your system.

The best way is not just to ask here and elsewhere,but to take one home on demo,and try it.....if it is much better,the question is answered....in the fast moving world of AV receivers,there is always going to be a new model not much more than 6 months away,and sound improvements are often incremental rather than immediately obvious.

I still hold on to an set of pretty ancient Krells,not only on cost grounds,but also for the sound quality...the new ones may be better in some respects,but the bass power of the older models remains superb...just an example.

3. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I'm just annoyed that I'm missing some proper 6.1 setups. The only offical setup is DTS 6.1 and the Dolby 6.1 you have to change an option and you need to know if your movie is 6.1 before you do otherwise the rear sound is terriable. That's the main reason why I'd like to change.

I am very happy with my amp and will probably keep using it for a couple more years, but was more curious than anything else.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I see what you're getting at there....my processor is a plain 5.1 TAG,and currently I have no wishes to upgrade to 7.1,as there are so few titles encoded in 6.1 or 7.1,plus it means extra speakers etc....if you're happy,stick with what you have,and upgrade to something much better later on.

5. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I have my extra speakers already. I love the idea of THX even though you pay extra for the three letters, but I think I'll wait for a few more years and upgrade all to the THX standard.

6. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garrad

You don't really need to change any setup options each time. Just leave the AFDM (Auto Flag Detect Mode) OFF and then manually switch ON or OFF the Surround Back speaker/s (done from the remote). If you don't like the sound with them ON then leave them OFF. The main problem has always been the lack of EX/ES flag encoding on the DVD's themselves. Even some of the later DVD's still don't have the flag encoded that would automatically switch ON the Surround Back channels.

The 3801 has Dolby EX but because of a licensing problem at the time it could only be called 6.1 Surround. DTS ES Discrete and Matrix will display as they should do.

The 3805 is also a noticeably superior amp to the 3801. It's been changed in almost every department.

7. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I upgraded from the 3802 to the 3805.
    In my opinion its stunning, way ahead of my old 3802, much more powerful and dynamic, much better detail, vastly better stereo performance and the mic auto setup is fantastic! It looks awesome in Silver! (Don't think they do a Gold one anymore.)

There's loads of enhancements for 6.1/7.1 speakers not just for DVD but for normal broadcasts and stereo. The new Pro Logic IIx and DTS Neo 6 modes are brilliant for converting 2 channel to 7 speakers. It also seems to improve the rear speaker spread of sound in Dolby Digital and DTS.

Arcangel is right you don't have to keep changing setup options once you have set them. I leave my centre rear speakers on all the time because PLIIx & DTS Neo6 do such a good job upmixing to 7.1 with all sources analogue or digital. I watch 70% Sky, 30% DVD.

You can access all the functions thru the display on the amp without the need for the on screen display which I couldnt with the 3802. It has adjustable lip sync, ideal for if you get a plasma, and for the dreadful low bit sky channels!

Go get a demo, only your ears will tell you. I did and bought there and then! :thumbsup: