Worth upgrading AV32R 24/96 to 24/192?

P

Pooley

After my recent dealings with the IAGUK Helpdesk, I was surprised to see that they're still offering upgrades to some of the kit.

My AV32R has the standard 24/96 DAC's, so one upgrade I'm considering is moving to the 24/192 DAC's. Not interested in the DP or the Bypass upgrades as they're expensive and I'm not looking for those features (at that price anyway).

Does this upgrade significantly improve the sound quality for stereo CD's and has anyone done this upgrade so they can advise on the benefits? Also, can anyone tell me just what this upgrade does, i.e. analogue inputs are now sampled at 192kHz rather than 96kHz, any benefits to CD's 44.1kHz rate with regard to some form of upsampling, etc...

Thanks,
Pooley.

Hi pooley,

It is worth the upgrade price, had mine done for a little while ago, when it was in for a repair. If you don't do it, you will regreat it anyway ;-)

But I discovered something nice, when my AV32R was on "holiday", the DAC1 from Benchmark, I used it as at DAC+Preamp. with my DVD32R for CD playback... WHAT A DIFFERENCE... everything is more crisp and detailed, try one, and you will never return it again.
Today I use it in DAC mode only, the sound is better when the AV32R192 handles the volume control. (And yes I know the TAG is digitizing the analog inputs, put it still sound MASSIVE better than TAG alone, and when DAC1 was used as a preamp also.)
The secret must be the better jitter control from the DAC1, even though I use T2L.

Pooley said:
After my recent dealings with the IAGUK Helpdesk, I was surprised to see that they're still offering upgrades to some of the kit.

My AV32R has the standard 24/96 DAC's, so one upgrade I'm considering is moving to the 24/192 DAC's. Not interested in the DP or the Bypass upgrades as they're expensive and I'm not looking for those features (at that price anyway).

Does this upgrade significantly improve the sound quality for stereo CD's and has anyone done this upgrade so they can advise on the benefits? Also, can anyone tell me just what this upgrade does, i.e. analogue inputs are now sampled at 192kHz rather than 96kHz, any benefits to CD's 44.1kHz rate with regard to some form of upsampling, etc...

Thanks,
Pooley.

Pooley, no it is not upsampled with more than before. These are DACs only for DAC not for ADC.

Also, I would not upgrade it if I were You. Still this is only my opinion that might differ from other forum members.

Hi Miron,

What reason do you give for not upgrading?

One thing that did make me consider upgrading was a friend's decision to listen to some new equipment, which we tried in a local dealers and then "borrowed" so he could try it at home. The kit in question? A Naim Nait5i CD and NAC112/NAP150 pre/power. I was quite impressed with the sound quality from the Nait5i, fed through the inputs to my AV32R when we tried it at my place. There was a noticeable difference in sound quality from the Nait5i over the Pioneer DV737 I'm using as a temporary transport until the DVD32R returns. Okay, I know the Pioneer isn't anywhere near the DVD32R in cost/quality/performance, but it did make me think about an upgrade.

Why are we never satisfied with what we have? (no pun intended!)

Food for thought...

Pooley said:
Hi Miron,

What reason do you give for not upgrading?

I simply think it is not worth the money.
You might try to get used DP rather instead, prices will get lower and lower...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom