Question Worth upgrading AC90?

WarPro

Standard Member
Hi all,

Have been using the Panasonic AC90 for over 12 months now and its been an excellent camcorder in the time I've had it...

But the new X1000 has just caught my eye and I'm wondering whether to upgrade. Both camcorders appear to be identical with X1000 having some newer features. The question is: would I see a benefit/advantage to getting this X1000 and replacing the AC90 or... would I be wasting my time?

Please share your thoughts!

rogs

But the new X1000 has just caught my eye and I'm wondering whether to upgrade. Both camcorders appear to be identical with X1000 having some newer features.
Not really that identical.. the new X1000 is a 4K camera, while the AC90 is just HD. So the images from the newer camera will have 4 times the resolution.... Which is quite a lot!
Now, whether the rest of your kit (computer, editor, Monitor can handle the images well, only you know?.....

But if you have compared 4K footage with HD then you'll already know that - with the right replay kit - the extra image quality definitely has that big 'WOW' factor.....its quite a step up!

WarPro

Standard Member
By similar I mean the shape, size, controls, most of the features and the UI is comparable. The sensor is as you say a notable upgrade - 4K, but nevertheless a smaller sensor to the AC90.

All the kit I have is more than capable.... I'm rather tempted!!

rogs

The sensor is as you say a notable upgrade - 4K, but nevertheless a smaller sensor to the AC90.
Not sure how much smaller though.... the original AC90 marketing spec suggested 3 x 1/2.3" sensors - which would have been really impressive. IIRC, it actually actually turned out to be 3 x 1/4.7" effectively. Not quite so impressive.

The X1000 seems to have a single 1/2.3" sensor - but although size can be important (where have I heard that before? :)...) it's not the be all and end all for sensor specs. I think the reviews will probably give a more accurate result of how it actually performs...

chrishull3

HC-X1000E 4K Ultra HD Camcorders | Panasonic UK & Ireland i cant believe you are not sure the upgrade is worth it,i had one briefly but reluctantly sent it back,solely because the 20x zoom was not enough for my wildlife filming,if it had i zoom like my FZ1000 it would have been a no brainer but there is only i zoom on 1920x1080P,with my FZ1000 i get 1148mm on i zoom in 4K mode,in all other respects i would far rather have the HC-AX1000.
The sensor on this cam is not large which is one downside but as as camcorder it fits the bill in most respects.

Last edited:

12harry

"Sensor-size" can be confusing; as we read that larger sensor has shallower* DoF and less noise - however, the performance depends more on the technology IMHO, than size alone.
In the early days of Video ( eg TV broadcast) there was an easy way to update from B7W by having three colour sensors, with filters for each channel. However, this required quite a lot of setting-up and tubes drifted.
Nowadays, it seems unnecessary to have additional complication, when single-sensor DSLR work very well. Digital has changed things forever, since you can always go-back and fiddle with the figures . . . . provided they are as "good as possible" in the first place. Data-rate is rather important in this . . . . hence the popularity of BlackMagic single-sensor kit. . . . The 4K GoPro is also single-sensor.

So nowadays, with CMOS the situation has changed and it's unlikely ( Although NOT impossible! ), that a world-class manufacturer would put out an update-model that was worse than the one it replaces ( Techy folks might notice rather too quickly ). . . . However, this is not unknown. -Anyone?

Yet, with the major difference being "4K" - there is a small risk that other factors are being side-stepped. So I suggest you take yr present model along to Pana and ask them to let you compare the output.
If you are going to change - better do it quickly before the s/h price is scuppered - OR - you could use it as a back-up, ( and cutaways, etc ), knowing that the handling, menu, etc. are almost identical - - - thereby removing some risk that xxxx is set incorrectly, due to confusion under pressure.

Whilst 4K is "moving forward" - you have to consider your customer/ audience - if yr output is DVD-consumer - then maybe wait until 4K is mainstream and Mfrs have added some extra features.
Some folks still like film, don't you know?
Hope that helps.

* it doesn't - DoF is a function of aperture, focal length, sharpness ( circle of confusion), and the final image-size; you only have to read the history of cameras (from whole-plate), to realise this repeated fallacy.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG SN7CY Soundbar Review, Hisense 55U7Q, LG Nano90, Best of the Month, B+W Sigourney Weaver
Top Bottom