1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth upgrade to Studio 8?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by steev, Dec 6, 2002.

1. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Pinnacle Studio DV package about a year ago. Since then I've only got around to editting one tape due to lack of time. With that one I used TMPEGenc to make an MPEG2 and VCDEasy to make an SVCD. This plays fine on my DVD.

I've had all the mails from Pinnacle offering an upgrade to V8 which I believe has all the VCD authoring built in. Is it any good for this? I know the older versions had an average MPEG2 encoder which is why I used the other software. Obviously doing everything from one package would make life easier.

All I really want is the ability to put some home video on a disk with perhaps a simple menu. I think it can create DVDs as well, but I can't justify a new burner just now and SVCD is good enough.

--
    Steve
    www.bagofspoons.net

2. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered this from Amazon and I also see that you can get it in the US from outpost.com for $50 with a $40 rebate!

Anyway, I have read that the DVD burning features are very very buggy and only just going away with the latest beta patch so probably best to wait until that's settled down.

C

3. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took a look at the Pinnacle forums and people seem to be having a lot of issues. Maybe I'll wait for V9.

I can do it all with other tools. I'm just after an easy life.

--
    Steve

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The MPEG encoder in Studio 8 is good, but still not as good as TMPGEnc at it optimum settings, especially at low bitrate streams.

If you are happy with Studio DV, stay with it and continue to use TMPGEnc. Studio 8 is still buggy, but getting better. Studio 7 is still better for editing.

5. thehypnotist

thehypnotist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I bought my D8 camera it came with pinacles studio dv 7

I too was considering version 8,but they have been lots of bugs reported regarding users with windows se

I also purchase unlead studio 6 but I find its easy to work with pinnicle

6. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually fired up my copy of Studio last night. What I have is version 1.2.6 that came in the Studio DV package. Am I entitled to a free upgrade to v7? I see 7.15.1c on their site. I suppose it's a matter of whether my serial number will work with that.

BTW Studio popped up a message about checking for upgrades. It takes me to a page that says I can upgrade to v8, but also says there is a free upgrade if I click on a link. Problem is I can't see that link.

--
    Steve
    www.bagofspoons.net

7. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I would not think that you can get a free upgrade to Studio 8. Everyone else has been offered discounted upgrades to Studio 7 and then to Studio 8. Studio DV is now about 3 years old.

You will be able to get a free update to the latest Studio DV release.

8. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    personally, i've never liked pinnacle products all that much. try see if theres a trial of Sonic Foundy Video Vegas. the new version (3.0c i believe) is excellent, and offers around the same power of editing as premiere, and i find it easy to use whilst being that stage above pinnacle.

unless you wanna fork out £2000 for Avid :)

9. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    $1700 actually - so only one arm & one leg, rather than both :) Does look impressive mind, to my uneducated eye. While I hate piracy, you can almost morally justify ripping it off from a warez site, since I'll be reducing their revenue not at all since there's no way I could ever pay for that. But I guess it ain't right to get something for nothing, that someone else had to shell out their hard earned wonga for.

C

10. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    the $1700 version is the standalone version iirc.. the full version has a "powerpack" with it, which adds the price up even more ;)

also, i have no problem with downloading a piece of software that costs that amount of money. the reason its that expensive, is because its for semi/pro level people who use their editing as their profession. the normal hobbyiest is not the target audience. if you download their software just to learn how to use pro level tools, or to do a few family videos, i can't see why thats a problem.

however, if you run a studio, and you make a large turnover, then i see why they'd come down on someone using a pirated copy.

11. shauny1

shauny1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im using windows xp on a compact with a dvd rewriter will the bugs and faults effect me
    all i want to do is put my home movies onto dvd blank discs to be played on my tosh sd 420e
    the dvd rewriter is a dvd-r/rw
    thanks