Worth updating my 2014 Sony KDL-42W815B to newer 43"?

blackhammer

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading my 7.5 year old 42" LCD Sony W815B with a newer model but after reading the impressive and informative guides from @Dodgexander I'm now not sure it's worth it.

I'm limited to 43" max screen as it sits in an alcove and my logic to upgrading is I have various 4K sources available to me now through Virgin Media, Netflix, Amazon prime video and a Firestick 4k. I watch a mix of movies, series and football work done occasional gaming.

I've seen and understand why no recommendations have been made in the 21/22 guide for this panel size but still wondering whether a newer IPS panel for my wide viewing angles would be worth it.

I feel I may have already answered my own question here but would appreciate any other thoughts and opinions esp. from those who might be in a similar position.

Cheers all

Last edited:
I can only speak from my experience of having owned an 42" LG plasma (it had a really great picture tbh) but was about 10 years old. It developed a fault & as its only really used in the lounge by my wife, (we have a larger tv that we can both use in another room (but I tend to use that one :D). Cut a long story short she went to Currys and bought a jvc fire tv edition 43". Now in the shop this had an ips panel but when we got it home we found it was a va panel. Straight on & for all people viewing in the lounge its very good, far & away better than the plasma for black level & contrast (which surprised me tbh) BUT as is the case with va anything off axis you do lose clarity. I went back to Currys to check on the store model & even in store I realised the blacks & contrast were poor (I was allowed to take it out of store mode & set it up with the remote to try & get a decent picture). Wife likes the tv & doesnt want to swap it so have decided to keep it. I am quite impressed with how it handles low quality sky tv as well (wife watches most in sd :( ) so should imagine any decent source should improve this. It was cheap (£300) but seems ok tbh. If it was me I may have opted for swapping it for an ips panel (I posted on here how I was not impressed with the viewing angles) but now comparing the difference I am not sure so think I would have paid a bit more for an oled but she liked the design & didnt want to spend any more etc YMMV

if you not able to fit in a 48 inch LG Oled I would wait for the 42-inch size to come out there will be better but LED not much point at this size the sony x90j will be an upgrade but its 55 inch.

Your current TV is using a VA panel, so if you find the viewing angles poor on that a new TV with an IPS panel will be an improvement. Although you may find the viewing angles on your TV quite good for a TV that uses a VA panel compared to TVs that use VA today, and you may need to consider Sony or Philips models to get a TV using an IPS panel from BOE to guarentee the very best viewing angles.

Problem is you take steps back moving from VA to IPS, and you take steps back moving from HD to UHD, especially when it comes to HDR content.

On your current TV, everything you play regardless of whether HDR is included or not, plays in SDR.
On a new TV, that content will force HDR on the TV, with no option to disable it.

If you have a plan set in place to avoid HDR material there's nothing wrong with buying a cheap TV today, but spend less, rather than more because you're never going to be able to find something good value for money.

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated.

Think I'll hold out until the 42" OLEDs arrive and reasses then

Whilst an OLED will give you a superb experience. Its probably going to be a while before they get to led prices. In my view the only led worth buying at 43 is the Sony x89 which can be picked up for £599 new or the very similar x85 is £479 for a refurb. I have this TV and the picture is very good true an oled will give you some advantages that's if the 42 inch models are not coming crippled by poor processors. They are also likely to be pricey my guess is they will be £1000 at launch more for higher spec models. 48 inch OLEDS are not much cheaper than 55 inch models.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom