Worth updating DVD player + what connections?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ajf, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ajf

ajf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a new 32" Philips LCD -32PW5531D.
    Debating whether it is worh purchasing a newer DVD player to replace my 3.5 year old Panasonic - DVD-S75.

How good is the upscaler in the Philips LCD?
    Either way would I get a general improvement in quality from a new £100 to £150 DVD player compared to the Panasonic?

Also, I currently connect it using RGB scart. Is it worth swapping it to the component connection?

What about progressive scan? The Panasonic says it can only do it on NTSC discs. Is this true of all players? If not is it worth getting one that can?

Sorry for all the questions!

Andrew

2. psenior1

psenior1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Can't comment on the screen but I've just switched from RGB scart on an Cambridge Audio DVD player to a Tosh 360e using HDMI and the improvment in picture quality was massive (via 37" LCD and 42" plasma) and well worth the £70 for the player and £10 for the lead.

3. ajf

ajf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    The Toshiba does seem to be good for the price.
    I have also found the Denon 1930 for a good price (£185) Anyone any thoughts on whether it is worth me spending this much for use with a 32" display?

Other thoughts on my original posts?

Thanks.
    Andrew

4. ndroo

ndroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Under the £200 range yr best bet is the Oppo 971h.. the Toshiba is a good budget dvd player, but the Oppo is the real deal.. i just got one and the improvement is really really noticeable (and i m not a proper video geek:D )

you will see a massive improvement in picture quality mate.. and yes you can set it to progressive scan for all dvds

re: the component and scart, you will see a slight improvement in PQ but yr best upgrade will be getting the Oppo 971 over the 4yr old dvd player

www.livingcinema.nl have excellent service and support and they sell the Oppo in europe