Worth updating a 2013 optima HD131Xe?

Robin66

Novice Member
Reaction score
My projector seems to work fine but is ancient in technology terms (2013). Projector prices have come right down and I’m wondering if it’s worth updating ie. has technology noticeably improved? However I don’t think it’s worth getting a 4K projector (which are still quite expensive) bc I hardly watch any content in 4K. So it’d be another HD projector. But I’ll have to make sure the throw of the new projector suits my set up so I don’t want to waste time unless there’s noticeable improvements. What do people think?

My projector seems to work fine but is ancient in technology terms (2013). Projector prices have come right down and I’m wondering if it’s worth updating ie. has technology noticeably improved? However I don’t think it’s worth getting a 4K projector (which are still quite expensive) bc I hardly watch any content in 4K. So it’d be another HD projector. But I’ll have to make sure the throw of the new projector suits my set up so I don’t want to waste time unless there’s noticeable improvements. What do people think?
If you venture on to the second hand market the likes of Sony hw40 would be a night and day upgrade one sold on here just recently for £350.

Ok, so don't bother getting a £200 one from amazon. If I want to see an improvement I need to look at the +£1k market
Oh god don't get them things from Amazon.lol.
How much you want to spend depends on how much of an upgrade your looking for.

I spent £500 8 years ago. My question was really if I spend a similar amount today am I going to see a big improvement. I could have spent £10k 8 years ago and got a much better projector but I could never justify it.

Honestly on a new pj at £500 I don't think the money well spent at all the upgrade certainly won't justify the spend IMHO, but like mentioned earlier the second market then yes.

I myself owned the optoma 131x and upgraded to a Panasonic pt-at6000e the upgrade was night and day, I always felt that with the 131x that I was watching a projected image the Panasonic plays more like a huge plasma screen the Sony hw40 at the time was the like for like competition both pj's can now be had second for under £500, but second may not be of interest to you, as of course buying second hand can come with risk.

Yeah it is a risk. I might go down that road though if it’s “night and day”. The processor is so slow to respond to a new input on the 131x and the picture quality is not great.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom