1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth the wait for High Definition?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Godvrey, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I'm looking to upgrade to a new DVD player and will probably be spending somewhere in the region of £500-600. Most of the current players in this price band are 'upscaling' players and so offer the ability to connect via HDMI to a 720/1080 display - although I accept that this is not defined as 'true' HD.

I've been reading about the advent of Blu Ray and HD-DVD though, which seems to be billed to make an appearence at the end of this year, and now don't know what to do.

On the one hand it seems pointless to shell out £600 on a player that will shortly be unable to play the new formats - but on the other hand surely players offering the new technology at the same quality level as a £600 current player will be much more expensive at first? How long will it take for prices to drop to a reasonable level? Also there is the Blu Ray vs HD-DVD battle which remains uncertain and could mean a wait to see which comes out on top, or until manufacturers produce units that can play both? How long is it likely to be before that happens?

I guess what i'm asking is is it worth the wait, or should I just go ahead and get my player since it will probably be a couple of years before I can get a HD player of the same quality for this kind of cash anyway?

How much better is HD than an upscaled normal DVD anyway????

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I dont think there is a correct answer to your question. Whilst normally I would say that in the AV world there is always the next versions of equipment just arround the corner - most equipment seems to have a shelf life of 12 months or less - and therefore if you wait for the next one to come out and price to drop from initial launch RRP then you will be in the same situation again and end up never buying something.

The difference between SD and HD is however will probably be much more significant and so throws a spanner into the works. As you say the first generation of the new players will undoubtably be much more expensive and almost certainly not up to the maxium of the formats potential (they are still releasing new turntables that improve on previous models after all) - I would also possibly question about their reliability or number of bugs they may have.

Havent seen any HD DVD (of either format) but have seen HD satalight signals on a plasma and I would say they were very significantly better quality picture than a DVD upscaled picture.

I was in a similar boat to you a while ago and finally decided to buy a cheaper DVD player as a stop gap until the technology settles down a little more - was also probably due to the S97 halving in price overnight though :rolleyes:

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Experience has shown that it is not necessarily the hardware that determines if a format will succeed. I would suggest getting something that will last a year or two and see what is what then.

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    As you pointed out there will be 2 new formats. Blu Ray and HD DVD.
    Its hard to know at this point which format will become the more popular.
    Some say HD DVD will be better as it will be cheaper, others say Blu Ray will be better in quality and capacity therefore the more popular choice.

I for one will be waiting for a while after these formats are released. One reason is that a decent enough library of Films and TV shows will take time to come out on both formats.
    Second, the first batch of players wont be the best to come out. I preffer to wait for companies like Marantz, Pioneer and Denon to release their own machines. They may even make dual players capable of playing both formats. That would make things much easyer for everyone.

Its going to be a while yet before these new HD formats establish themselves and a clear superior format emerges.

A good DVD player will indeed upscale and will always be a good way to watch all those DVDs you may have collected up till now.

Many people are buying cheaper players just now (like a Denon 1910 or a 2910 instead of a 3910) that can still upscale. And saving the rest for an HD DVD or Blu Ray player.

I beleive that these new Hi Def players will also be able to upscale DVDs so I guess that could be one good reason to get an early hi def player.

And say you get an HD DVD player and that format ends up loosing, you would still have a good upscaling DVD player!

Hard to say what the best thing to do is. It is true that the next big thing is always around the corner, but the step from SD to HD is a big step which wont be happening that often. Since we are close to that change, it might be wiser to save those pennies.