1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

worth the price jump?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WeirdFish, Oct 23, 2003.

1. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like I've fallen foul to some misinformation from the projectorcentral calculator for the Z1. Its giving different results to the calculator on the sanyo website, which I'm guessing is more likely to be correct.

I was all ready to order but my lens throw measurements are now out by about 6" which is kinda awkward. I can get around it, I think, but a PJ with a longer throw is the better solution for keeping the lounge looking wife friendly.

The Sony HS10 fits the bill in that respect but is it worth the extra dosh or am I better off working around the positioning problem of the Z1.

:)

2. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    isnt the issue working around the wife :)

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    How accruate does the throw of the lens have to be? I mean if i want to put a projector 15' away from the screen do i buy a pj with minimum throw 15' or between 10' - 20' or what shout i being looking for??

Thanks

Snowman

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

errr, that would be a YES :blush:

Like most people I'm trying to avoid having the PJ mounted in the middle of the ceiling by mounting it on the rear wall, Using the projectorcentral calculator everything was good, PJ on rear wall, 6ft screen 3.2m (10' 6") away with a viewing distance of 11'.

The Sanyo calculator says the furthest the PJ can be is 2.96m (9'8") which means either screen or PJ has to move. I'm reluctant to move the screen as it would then not be sited within the bay window area and, i'm told:blush: , look terrible.

So I'm left with moving the PJ forward and mounting from the ceiling which is not helped by the ceiling fan being in the way. Which I have been told:( has to stay and even my argument that we couldn't have it on whilst using the PJ coz it'd blow the picture downwards and spoil the geometry :p fell on deaf ears, cant think why:D

I could go up to a 7' screen but thats getting a bit big for the viewing distance, whaich would still only be 11' at the most.

problems problems:(. It was all going so smoothly too, I had found a Z1 & Owl electric screen for 1499 which I thought was pretty good.

5. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Is the Z2 any better on throw dist 'cos it's shipping soon and Ivojo are doing it for an increadible £1,185.58. www.Ivojo.co.uk

Cheers

Croc

6. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeh I've just seen that.

I've had a look at the throw details on the brochure and I might be able to go with plan A. If not, for that price I'll move the fan again. :smashin:

7. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd move heavan and earth personally. The specs. suggest the Z2 is likely to be a much better PJ.

Cheers

Croc