Worth The Money?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Yantsu, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Yantsu

Yantsu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm relatively new to gaming PC's I play a lot of LoL and Civ but recently started playing The Witcher 3 and my current PC can't handle it, it's about 5/6 years old so I'm looking to upgrade ... I've never built a PC before so ideally I'm looking for a complete system unless building one would save me a significant amount of money, I'm looking something that will cover me for the future as best it can.

Could someone who has a better idea of what I'm looking at give me an opinion on this PC, it's from Chillblast based on their Fusion Firebird but I changed a few things:

Fractal Design Define R5 Low Noise Case - Black Pearl
    Intel Core i7 4790K Haswell Refresh Processor 4.0 GHz (Overclocked to up to 4.4GHz)
    Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid Cooler
    Generic thermal paste
    Asus Z97-A Motherboard - Haswell CPU only
    16GB Corsair/Crucial/Samsung PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks)
    Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card
    250GB Samsung 850 EVO Solid State Drive
    Seagate 2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps
    Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive
    Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU
    Onboard High Definition Audio
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Windows Optimisation Service
    Standard Chillblast Cable Management
    5 Year Warranty with 2 Years Collect and Return (UK only)

Price - £1466.60

How is this in terms of value for money, spec? Any feedback or recommendations would be great.

Thanks,

Adam

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    The PC itself is a good choice, but you would save about 300 quid if you built it yourself. Quite a few beers down the pub or a significant upgrade for the graphics card.

Here is the real cost of the components from Scan, not that I recommend buying there, but it was the easiest to put together.
    PCexample.JPG

3. Yantsu

Yantsu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, that's a lot cheaper than buying it from Chillblast! I think I may have to attempt to build it myself. Could I be getting a better graphics card than the GTX 970? From what I've read it seems pretty good but I am not really clued up on it.

4. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,320
    970 is a good card but if you can try and get the 980 or if you're feeling really flush the 980ti

5. AlpsUk

AlpsUk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
  6. Yantsu

Yantsu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm going to go ahead and build it myself. I've got to start sometime. Is there anywhere anyone recommends I should buy the parts? And will I be alright following YouTube videos and articles online to build it? Thanks again for all your help

7. AlpsUk

AlpsUk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
  8. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,391
    If you're going to build yourself, I'd recommend that same Fractal R5 case, and an extra 140mm fan (2 already included). Great cases for the money and easy to work with, with lots of room inside.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  9. PocketBunny

PocketBunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +680
    Good advice already provided. When building your first PC it can be a bit daunting, even though its really simple. A couple of points worth remembering:
    • Fit the PSU into the case first and then plug it in to the wall (dont turn the socket on). Your case is now earthed, so just keep touching that before picking up your mobo, cpu, gpu etc.
    • Dont force the CPU in. It should just drop in. Forcing it will bend the pins and knacker the cpu
    • For the rest of it, if the lead doesnt fit, you are putting it in the wrong place, or upside down
    Have fun with the build, and post pics when you have finished. We all enjoy looking at someones new build :D

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Personally I would buy a bigger PSU than 650w. You probably don't need it now, but once you get into PC gaming again and particularly if you build your rig, the upgrades might never stop :D

If you ever go SLI you might need a bigger PSU, so I'd buy a minimum of 750watt...it will only cost a few £ more. I'm not sure how good that CPU cooler is, but you might want to budget for a replacement fan to keep noise down. I have a Corsair H80i IIRC and it definitely needed replacement fans, although I do have the Corsair Air 540 case which isn't the quietest, and it's close to me so I'm more sensitive to noise. As @Joe Pineapples said, depending on case you might need to budget for additional case fans - I previously had a Fractal design R4 and needed to add a rear outtake.

Also, I'm not sure what else you'll be using the PC for, but for games I'm not aware of any where 16GB of RAM is needed.

Finally, you can buy legit windows 7 keys from Amazon for about £25, and then upgrade them to windows 10 for free via Microsoft's programme :)

11. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,486
    Building a PC is easy peasy nowadays (but see below). For my first time, I borrowed a mate's guide but there are plenty of on-line resources. As above, the advice is sound:

Fractal cases are ace and perfect for cable routing and ease of installs. They are big and heavy though (well, mine is) but my old Antec 300 was dusty and too small for today's GPUs.
    Bung the PSU in first. If you're getting a Fractal then I'd pay less and go non-modular. There is plenty of room to hide the extra cables, and you end up using most of them anyway.
    Put the motherboard risers in the right place. Install the motherboard. Don't forget the risers!
    Install RAM, CPU (should go in easily although that said, my old i3 needed serious pressure on the gate to close it, wasn't just me).
    Take your time plugging everything in, especially the tricky case cables.

Now here's the controversial bit - your CPU cooler. I started with an Intel stock cooler, one of those push-pin things with the thermal paste pre-applied. It needed a bit of beef to get in but ultimately was pretty fool proof. Then when I decided to overclock, I upgraded to an Evo 212. Great cooler but man oh man, if I'd tried to install this when I was first starting off I'd have thrown the entire lot in the bin. It's a right pain in the backside, even when you know what you're doing, and when you're doing a first build you want to know it works quite quickly without faffing around for hours with one thing.

So my advice for your first build is - just use the stock cooler. It's easy enough to install and you can't go too wrong. Just make sure it doesn't wobble and make sure the pins are sticking through the motherboard correctly. Then when you've got confidence, upgrade (if you need to, the stock one might do you fine).

Good luck!

12. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Good luck with the new build fella, that's a petty decent list of parts so you should end up with a nice little setup there.

Just to throw in my two cents on it.. couple of suggestions.

Consider switching the H55 for another AIO. Its decent enough but if your going all out, you might as well get something that'll keep it a bit cooler with or without any Overclocking. I've got an Coolermaster Seidon and an H80, both work really well and both cost me about £40.

Don't forget to buy case fans if you need them and try to work out your AIO placement before setting it up to get the right airflow (it'll save you a lot of time later... learned this the hard way) I always end up going Corsair on this but its all down to preference.

Bin off the Blu ray Drive unless you really need it.

If your never planning to Overclock the CPU, you might save a few quid looking at the regular version over the 'K' version.

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    On the whole coolers theme, if you do decide to use the stock cooler until you have decided if you want to overclock, then scrape off the thermal paste that comes with it and apply some decent stuff. It makes a massive difference.

Personally I run a stock cooler, because I don't overclock my CPU. Overclocking the CPU does not make a huge difference to games performance (with the exception of maybe one or two games that are CPU bound), theoretically lowers the life expectancy of your CPU and increases power and heat requirements.

I used to overclock and it is a lot of fun playing with the settings. However, it is not really essential to PC gaming and is more of a hobby, getting the most performance out of your CPU. It can be pretty useful if you are into video encoding and the like, that can really benefit from it. Another point to consider is that the chip you are purchasing will not currently benefit with overclocking, however, in a few years, it might help it through another generation of CPU's before you need to upgrade. Overclocking a CPU only makes a difference when the CPU starts to hold up the GPU, which is something that could happen in the future.

Overclocking the GPU makes a larger difference to gaming.

Finally, saving money on the CPU/mobo/coolers by not overclocking and then feeding that into a better graphics card, is also worth thinking about.

14. Yantsu

Yantsu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,391
    That link gives an empty list.

16. Yantsu

Yantsu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I thought that might happen. I've just copied it into the post.

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    What resolution are you planning to game at by the way?

I ask as @Sinzer makes a good point about the cooler. If you're going to game @ 1440p or above, then SLI 970s is worth considering, and the Corsair cooler is almost 40% of the cost of an additional GPU - plus you're going to need to replace both fans (so add another £20) on the H100i...unless you really don't care about noise.

18. Yantsu

Yantsu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds stupid, but as best I can without breaking the bank. I'd like to run 1080p comfortably. I hadn't really thought about it to be honest

19. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,486
    If I were you, I'd bin the coolers for the time being, save yourself some money or plough it back into a better something else. You won't be overclocking your CPU for a good while and the stock cooler will probably not be audible with that case. You might not need additional case fans either at this stage, I added another to my R4 but I'm not convinced it made a lot of difference and things aren't too bad inside even with a hefty OC on my GPU.

As mentioned previously, internal optical drivers are a bit of a dinosaur these days. You can get external USB ones for the same price. Easy enough to install your OS from a USB stick.

20. Yantsu

Yantsu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet, so if I bin the cooler and sack off the optical drive I'm down to £1004. Recommend any upgrades to anything with the extra 200 quid?

21. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,391
  22. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Swap out the GPU for a 980 or 980ti?

23. Yantsu

Yantsu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Wow that's cheap!
    I've not gamed @ 1080p for ages so I don't know the answer to this question, but isn't a 980ti overkill for 1080p?

25. Yantsu

Yantsu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 4k tv that I'll use for the witcher 3 so I could go beyond 1080p.

26. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    No harm in a little future proofing

27. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,391
    I'd just get one Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan to join the one in the front included with the case (already includes a rear), set to medium speed (silent) and you'd be good to go.

Fractal Design GP-14 Dynamic Case for Cooling Fan - White: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

28. AlpsUk

AlpsUk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
  29. bocty

bocty
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you have a 4k tv, you have to go for the 980ti. You will NOT regret it. It'll be the first time you get to see what your money paid for

p.s I have a 970, great card for what I game at 1080