1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth switching to Bulldog??No usenet/newsgroup.

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by dean randle, May 25, 2005.

1. dean randle

dean randle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am currently with NTL on 1mb broadband and phone line for about £29 per month. I use Azureus for downloads, plus NTL's newsserver to access newsgroups.
    If I switch to Bulldog, I get 4mb plus phone for £30pm, but no usenet service. Will the increase in speed make up for only being able to use Azureus? Or if I need to join a charging newsserver, who and how much??
    The initial excitement of 4mb speed has worn off now (especially after only recently discovering the speed of newsservers on NTL.)
    Any thoughts/advice will be gratefully received.

Regards,
    Dean.

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Ive had Bulldog 2mb for over 18months now and the service has been fantastic. There was a small blip about 9months ago, but apart from that I normally get full 2mb throughput.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    hi dean,

I've got bulldog's 2meg service and have found it excellent from day one. It doesn't have newsgroups as part of the package but I have always used www.newshosting.com , I pay about £8 per month for unlimited access with an 18day retention. I pretty much always max out my 2meg connection when downloading from this service.

The one thing to be careful about is whether the bulldog tarriff you've seen has a download limit, my brother was looking for a new isp the other day but went with tiscali in the end as didn't like the d'load limit on the bulldog one he saw (don't know any details I'm afraid and it wasn't a 4meg one). If that's £30 for phone line and unlimited 4meg then its a great deal and I'd bite their hands off and get newshosting with it :)

hth
    owain

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    If its the one I'm switching to at the end of the month its unlimited 24hr a day 4meg done 512 up ( the 512 upload will be nice for gaming).

I've had the 2meg evenings and weekend for about 2 years. The 4meg is the same price. More product ...same money ...always good.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi mr.d,

thats the 2meg connection I've got, don't know about you but I've never found mine to be capped to 512k during peak hours like its meant to, it seems to just be 2meg all the time. still who's complaining? :)

Is there any delay when changing between bulldog products? I know switching ISPs was a long drawn out process for me but can you upgrade to another bulldog product easily?

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    NTL's broadband service was 512k for £24.99 per month, the speed got upgraded to 750k ages ago for free, adn now is about to be upgraded to 2Mb again for the same £24.99, you can have the service "downgraded" to 1Mb for £17.99. The letters to most existing customers have already gone out.....

7. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    yeah...i've found that mine had been more like 2mb all the time as well....
    neer really had a problem with my connection in the past year and half...

however - word of warning, Bulldog customer service and support is one of the worst ever.....

i've also ordered thier 4mb superactive service - been waiting 4 weeks so far for them to get it sorted....!!!

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Bulldog corporate are actually worse, we are now dealing direct with the top bloke adn we still have little faith...... Don't get me started on NTL customer service though as they really define the word crap..... Like most things in this world, they are all fine until they go wrong....

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Its funny, for the few times I've had to call bulldog they seem to vary wildly, sometimes they seem really stupid (almost like they're trying to be dim) and others they have been fantastic, really knowledgeable and sort the issue out straight away.

Still I doubt there's many ISPs with consistently good customer support :(

10. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Anyone use UKonline? It's £20/month for 2mbps uncapped from what I can see and 8mbps with a 500Gb cap. BT are introducing caps at the start of June so I was looking to swap though it's an engineer installed service from way back when :)

I use giganews.com for my news server, very fast and good!

11. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the 4mb Bulldog package. It is unlimited download and I get very good speeds. The upload is meant to be 512kb but during tests it runs at over 700kb. Download tests report it as 4.2Mb and my modem shows a connection speed of 7Mb.
    In the 2 months I've had it I have had 2 occasions where for about 12 hours I have had no connection. Other than though it has been very good.
    I was waiting ages for them to activate my exchange and when they did, they took my order and said it would take four weeks to get connected (beacuse I didn't already have a broadband connection, otherwise it owuld have been sooner). However after about four weeks they said they would have to build some sort of extension at the exchange and had no idea how long it would take. Luckily 2 weeks later I was up and running.
    They still haven't billed me for anything yet, I've only just got a bill showing my £1 connection fee that I paid in Feb.
    The contract is also only 1 month so you cna change to one of their other service at quite short notice.

12. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Is'nt Bulldog just Telewest/NTL in disguise?

13. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I believe that Bulldog was brought out about a year ago by telewest but seeing as it a ADSL product it is different than there normal BB, in not being geographically limited and needing a BT line

14. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Stupid question time.

My one year sub to wannado 1mb ends in June (£22.99 package)

Seeing as Wannado don't appear to be stepping up speed would I be wise to switch to a faster isp, and if so would I encounter any charges from anyone for changing? And I supose after 2 years they would take the modem back after all it's their property, isn't it?

:eek: i've just been seaching for info and found a forum discussing isp speeds and can't believe what I've read. I won't post the address here as don't know if it's a correct thing to do but they are talking about Germany 25mbps, Japan upto 100mbps and so on and how other countries pay less for more Sweden £15 for 25mbps.

If that's all true why are we so far behind?

15. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I have been told, BT own most of the telephone lines. So any ISP have to pay a cut to BT, so BT have quite a lot of control in prices. However, Bulldog have thier own lines and therefore don't have to pay any money to BT which is why they can offer 4Mbps for the same proce as others (who do use BT lines) are charging for 1 or 2Mbps. I may have been misinformed of course.

16. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    telewest...?
    i thought the were bought by cable & wireless...? hence the C&W phone lines...?

17. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, Bulldog is owned by Cable & Wireless.