1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth replacing PWD6 with PHD8?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GAmbrose, Sep 26, 2005.

1. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hello people.

I've had my Panasonic PWD6 for just over 2 years now and it's still going strong.

However, with the Xbox 360 on order (December 2nd) and Sky close to rolling out their HDTV service, I'm wondering if now would be a good time to join the HDTV 'revolution'

I was looking at the 42" PHD8 but I notice that the resolution is only 1024x768. I'm pretty sure 720p is 1280x720 so how can this be considered HD ready?

Would you have to go for a 50" model to get the true 720p display without any downscaling? If so, Is it really worth the extra £1500 for a few extra pixels?

Or do you think it might be best to wait it out for another year and see what develops? It's all a bit confusing.

Gary A

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Why bother? You have a PWD6 argueably the best of the Panasonic SD panels, apart from your Xbox there is precious little else to display on a HD panel at the moment. If I were you I would save the pennies you have now until we're a year or so into Sky's HD offering. Enjoy what you have and look around for the next generation of panels that will be available then.

On the other hand, if money is plentiful............

3. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yeah, you are probably right...Just money burning a hole in my pocket as usual :)

I just spend a fair bit on a Concept 2 rowing machine, So I can probably do without another 2.5k on a TV when I have a perfectly good one.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly HDTV takes off in the UK.

Gary A