1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth new speaker cable?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by silent lucidity, Feb 25, 2003.

1. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now been using my surround kit for a week.This consists of a Sony strde585 receiver and sa-ve535 speaker package.The amp is hooked up to a Toshibe sd220e with a qed qunex coaxial lead.However,I am at present only using the speaker cable that was supplied with the speakers.Question is,is it worth upgrading to something a little better?I was thinking along the lines of qed strand 79(can't remember what they call it these days!)
    Will I notice any difference?Ideas and suggestions welcome.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Not sure the cost of QED 79 strand now ... but worth taking a look at what Richer Sounds do ... decent enough quality stuff for 69p, 99p and £1.49 depending on thickness and construction.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, you want to use solid platinum wire, fork out at least £20,000 on cable. :clown: :laugh:

Or just get some some 4mm copper stranded wire.

4. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me re-phrase;sensible suggestions welcome:nono:

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following the near religious experience of hearing the Leema Acoustics speakers demoed at the Bristol show this weekend, I thought I'd ask one of the guys who makes them what speaker cable he uses as he's an ex BBC guy who, believe me, knows his stuff.

Anyway, he said it was an interesting question and one that the two partners of the company often debate. And just to make matters worse for all of us, both of these highly skilled and experienced guys have polar opinions:

One uses high end Nordost bi-wire cable, the other uses (and I kid you not) the exact same cable you find in the mains cable for cookers.

Interestingly, the same chap also said that although bi-wiring was subjective and could be different in every case, in his opinion is was a waste of time... and lo and behold, one of their speaker range isn't even able to be bi-wired and at the Bristol show, their two pairs that have bi-wire terminals were single wired with the links still in :eek:

That's certainly done a lot to change my views on these matters.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well I was sensible ... hence sugesting you take a look at Richer Sounds...

7. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks sounddog the advice was appreciated,it was nathan I was replying to with the "sensible comment".Not sure if he was just making a bit of a joke or taking the rise out of my kit.I realise it's not exactly high end stuff but it's my first a.v system and was a balance of what I could afford against what appealed to me.Don't like getting uptight about things so I hope it was a joke I took the wrong way:smashin:

8. Mallory

Mallory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the Leema partner who uses better cable, although I must say that Lee's system sounds great. Just as well, considering he does half of our product fine tuning!

I think Lee meant that bi-wiring at the show was a waste of time?! (The very poor room acoustics swamped the benefits)

We had to swap cables between different speakers a lot over the weekend and two pairs would have caused difficulty with our Xyp product, which is not bi-wire capable. The reason for this, by the way, is not a confusion in the Leema camp. The Xyp is our entry level product and the added complexity of a split crossover design, wiring and extra terminals would have added to the retail price. Although the Xyp is by no means a cheap product, manufacturing anything 100% in the UK and Europe is an expensive (and sadly, unusual) game and we had to reduce costs where possible.

Mallory Nicholls
    Leema Acoustics

9. graxxor

graxxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mallory,

Are you saying that, beyond halving the resistance of the wire, with obvious results, biwiring produces a noticeable difference..

I was under the impression that twin terminals were for bi-amping, which obviously produces a noticeable difference?.

I have been a firm believer in biwiring to keep the cable flat and easy to hide, rather than to improve sonic performance over a single core, double thickness, equivalently priced cable...

Ta,

Graxxor
    [​IMG]

10. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Mallory, nice to have you on the boards.

My dealer asked me for highlights from the show, Leema got an honourable mention, especially those little speakers, very nice :)

I thought overall, my favourite room was Wilson Benesch, their sound was simply amazing (with a price tag to match!). I checked the back of their speakers and they single wired with a speaker cable bridge from LF to HF which to me spoke volumes.

Good luck to Leema, you deserve success.

11. Mallory

Mallory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bi-wiring can help with sonics as it stops circulating current effects caused by the bass end interfereing with the much more delicate tweeter feed via the ground return. The main improvement comes from having a 'clean' ground feed to the tweeter and is akin to star earthing used within amplifiers etc. In fact, the improvement could be had with just three conductors i.e. Signal plus a seperate ground for the woofer and tweeter. The longer the cable runs are, the more improvement will be had from bi-wiring. Wilson B may have had the same reasons as us for not bi-wiring, i.e. less than ideal conditions at shows verses relatively small sonic gains.

I hope this helps.

Mallory

12. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean to seem rude to all you guys but you seem to have strayed off topic a little!That's all a little over my head as I'm pretty new to this game.Anyone have any answers to my original question?:rolleyes:

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just buy stranded copper cable, 2.5 mm cable.

Rega make some at £2.50 a metre, it's flat so can go under the carpet.

14. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nathan,is that likely to be better than the stuff that came with the speakers?Sorry if that's a stupid question,like I say,I'm pretty new to this game!

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You decide. Can you borrow a couple of short lengths, just try out stereo L/R, against your normal cable.

Have you got a mate with a stereo system so you can borrow some?

With bigger speakers and amps you do need thicker cable.

Nathan

16. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at maplin's speaker cable range.

i bought a 50metre drum for £80.
    This is well made cable and your qed equiv would be double this.