• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Worth it?

Volkodlak

I was recently offered to purchase this setting (second hand) for 370£, now, being not the most knowledgeable in the ways of computers... I thought I'd ask here :thumbsup:

the specs are:
Vostro 200 E4400 Core 2 Duo Processor 2.00GHz, 800Mhz FSB, 2MB cache
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz
13-in-1 Media Card Reader
Hard Drive 250GB / 7200 Rpm
16X DVD+/-RW
Video Card - 256MB nVidia GeForce 8300GS
Monitor: 19'' Wide Flat Panel / DVI-D
Keyboard Dell Entry Quietkey USB (QWERTY) Black
Mouse Dell 2 buttons
Software included: Power DVD 7.0 - Vista & XP 1, 429-12688 Roxio Creator / MYDVD 9.0 (Vista & XP)

Is it worth it?

Volkodlak

So what price would that be worth?

y2k

So what price would that be worth?
I dont know but you can buy a Dell Vostro 200 new for cheaper than you are being charged with a better processor, bigger hard drive and more memory, and I dont know if there would be much difference in the onboard graphics and the 8300 in the one you are thinking of buying.

y2k

I just made one up new from this link http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&l=en&oc=D052008&s=bsd

All for £388.93 delivered and im sure there are a few dell discount codes floating about :thumbsup:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4500 Processor (2.20GHz,800MHz,2MB cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English

3072MB 667MHz (2x1024 + 2x512) Memory

Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)

19in E198WFP WIDESCREEN UK/Irish Black (1280X800) TCO99 DVI-D

Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100

500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache

No Floppy Drive

Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse

16x DVD +/- RW Drive

Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio

McAfee® Security Centre™ 9.0 - 24 Month Protection - English

Volkodlak

y2k

How about this - http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=358685

I'm looking mainly for a general use PC... If I was to play games they'd be medium ones like Age of Empires 3, Neverwinter Nights 2... I've got my 360 for gaming :p

My budget was previously 350 pounds but now it's 400 and I need a complete pack with a screen and all, doesn't matter if its second hand:( any suggestions?
The dell one I picked out in my last post for you is better and comes with a 19" monitor, more memory, bigger hard drive, the graphics should be better because its one of the newest onboard graphics chips but yours does not mention what type of onboard graphics, better processor because the processor in the one you picked is a 1st generation dual core proseccor you should be looking at core 2 duo because they are newer and should run better, the dell one is also cheaper.

You should be able to play the games that you listed but would get low frame rates but it would be playable.

EDIT: The graphics should allow you to play them 2 games but I have no idea if them games are compatable with windows Vista.

Volkodlak

Well I don't need a big harddrive (200 is enough) - and windows xp rather than vista.. if you change those 2 on the one you listed is it possible to get a better graphics card?

y2k

Well I don't need a big harddrive (200 is enough) - and windows xp rather than vista.. if you change those 2 on the one you listed is it possible to get a better graphics card?
You make the computer yourself on the link I posted, you pick windows xp pro instead of windows vista at no extra charge, you can also choose a different graphics card and im pretty sure that the other 2 cards you can choose would play those 2 games easily but I know nothing about ati cards tbh. If you are gonna buy that one from dell look around the net for a voucher because there are normally a coule of different ones.

I know a 200gb is big enough but you get an extra 180gb for £4:50, you could probably do without the extra 1gb of ram because your using xp and that would save you £27.

Volkodlak

Thanks mate :thumbsup: ill report back when I finish work.

Volkodlak

Will this be any good?
Also, is that graphics card any good? is it worth the 95£ or can I get a better one for that price seperate and have it installed (You'd figure that by the questions I'm asking I wouldn't be capable of that, and you're right :rolleyes: but my mate can :thumbsup:)

I know it has no monitor included but someone offered me a 15" dell monitor for 60 and im trying to haggle it down a bit :clap: I know its small but its cheap :rolleyes:

ComponentsIntel® Core™ 2 Duo E4500 Processor (2.20GHz,800MHz,2MB cache)

Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English

Display Not Included

3072MB 667MHz (2x1024 + 2x512) Memory

500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache

256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2600 XT graphics card

16x DVD +/- RW Drive

Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)

Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse

I've also been offered this for 230 pounds, any good?:
2x2GHz Intel Dual Core Processor
* 2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
* 250GB SATAII Hard Drive
* 512MB Geforce 8500GT
* 20x Dual Layer DVD-RW
* Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse

y2k

If they were about the same price then I would go for the top one, they will both play the 2 games you mentioned.

Volkodlak

Oh sorry, forgot to mention the price - the top one is £295.50 with a keyboard and a mouse, the bottom one has neither.

Also like you said, i'm assuming theres some discount codes around the web for dell :p...

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Ouch, £95 for a 256mb 2600XT? That is definitely not worth it. For that price you can get a much better 512mb Geforce 9600GT or Radeon HD 3850.

If you're only going for a tiny 15" monitor though then the resolution will be low (1024x768?) and the cards won't have to work as hard so you won't need a really nice card. In that case then a mid-range 256mb 8600GT or 3650 would probably play those games and save you £45.

Volkodlak

>.>.... I'm so confused now, and VAT totally messed up the price as well, any recommended PC retailers to look at?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom