Worth it to replace the onkyo tx-nr717 with tx-nr 646

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by eblackadder, Jun 11, 2015.

1. eblackadder

eblackadder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mean reason for it is Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. I would love to hear your opinion!
    Thanks!

2. eblackadder

eblackadder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply! When i will order the TX-NR646 then i will get the ONKYO SKH410 for free.
    They are Dolby Atmos speakers. If i'm right DTS-X doesn't need extra speakers.

I've heard a lot of problems with Onkyo with the hdmis but i never faced that problem. I am happy with the performance of the 717. I have alwyas had an Onkyp since the first dolby digital receivers back in the 90s and alwyas have been satisfied with Onkyo.

Thanks again for your reply! :)

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and Auro3D all require additional Loudspeakers and Amplification over and above you current 5.1/7.1 layout.

Where you use upward firing speakers to add in the overhead and height channels the shape of the room/ceiling and seating layout will determine how effective the height/overhead channels are going to be.

Another consideration for any new AVR is the requirement to be compatible with the New UHD-Blu-ray standard if that is something you plan to add to your system once it becomes available in 2016.

Joe

4. eblackadder

eblackadder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe, thanks for your information! I think the room that i'm using is 4 by 5 meters. The room is bigger but because the front and back are having a sloping wall. So all my equipment is in between those 4 by 5 meters. My rear speakers are on the side walls next to wear i'm sitting, so they are not behind me. I read that those Onkyo SKH410 speakers can be placed on the front speakers. They are floor speakers bu the way.

I am for sure planning to buy an UHD blu-ray player when it comes out. I guess that the TX-NR 646 will be compatible with it?

The only "big" difference with my present receive is that the TX-NR 646 doesn't have THX select 2 plus certification but i don't know if that makes a lot of difference between them when it comes to quality.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I would not worry about the THX certification to be honest since there are many non THX branded receivers that far out perform THX ones.
    That said the 646 is in theory a downgrade from your current receiver since it is a level below it. Hence, although you may be more features (bells and whistles) you may well be downgrading your raw sound quality.
    Also current 4K compatible receivers are not as compatible as you may want them to be when UHD is finalised and released. If not bothered by it then great otherwise wait until later this year/early next when everything should be fully compatible.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    Note this line from the Onkyo webage for the AVR.

'All HDMI terminals support 4K/60Hz, as well as HDCP 2.2 for next-generation UltraHD streaming and broadcasting' - no mention of Ultra-HD Blu-ray Playback!

Joe