Worth it to pay for 320k tracks?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dancemb, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dancemb

dancemb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    At the moment on my computer I have a lot of varying bitrates for all of my songs as I have sourced them through various resources through the years.

What I am asking is would it be worth me paying to download every single song @ 320K if I only have, say 160K or 192K of certain songs? I am asking because I have a Sony A808 8GB player and want to get the best quality that I can as I will be getting custom moulds for my Westone UM2.

2. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    The difference between 128k and 320k mp3 is pretty large on a hifi, with 320k sounding pretty damn close to the cd original.

However on a portal player i think you will be hard pressed to notice the difference between 192k and 320k.

I am not sure about 160k though (never used it), there may be more advantage here.

I would get a couple of cd's and burn a selection of files (4 or 5, don't do an individual track since compression effects different songs differently) at the various bit rates and see if you can here any difference on your Sony.

3. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    See my response in other thread - nowhere legally sells MP3 at 320kbps currently.

4. GeoffWork

GeoffWork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ministry of Sound sell dance music tracks at 320k, they are higher priced but sound good.

5. dancemb

dancemb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was hoping that was the case. Im sure that if people are prepared to pay that bit extra for the CD-quality sound that they will do, especially if you have a decent pair of headphones. I have Sennheiser HD 600 indoors and will have Westone UM2 for my new MP3 player, so if you have these decent earphones then its only right to have the CD-quality music as well!

6. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    I stand corrected :)