Worth hooking a HD-DVD player upto a creaking Lumagen Vision Pro .....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lighty, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Hi Guys

My old Sharp z9000 projector, Lumy Vision Pro and SDI Philips 963 are still going strong ....
    sdi - 720p to my sharp still looks good to me :smashin:

I am tempted though to buy a relatively cheap Tosh HD-E1 to try out some HD content.
    Optical out for sound into my amp, and component out from the E1 into the Pro.
    DVD would probably still look better from the 963 sdi...

Would it be best to let the Pro do all the scaling and just output 480i from the E1?

the sharp is 1280x720 so i feed it 720p (it will take 1080i but i haven't experimented!)

Can't really afford to sell the lot for buttons and go the whole hdmi route, and i'm not sure i want to either.

Cheers for any help :lease:

Lighty

2. EddyHorn

EddyHorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    If watching HD content on the E1 outputting at 480i would mean the player would be downscaling so you would lose information, you should output at either 720p or 1080i.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
  4. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    What benefeit would the scaler add to the HD DVD image?, if you have a native 720P display then send the signal out of the HD-DVD player at 720P, if your display has a higher res than 720P and lower than 1080P then out the video at 1080i.., always better going for the exact if not highest res your display supports... don't think the sclaer would add much, unless you need some kind of post processing...

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Sorry, Just realised we are talking about an ORIGINAL Pro. It is an SD only scaler. You should try sending 1080i to the projector direct and also 720P. The reason being that the Z9000 has, I think, inverese telecine for 60Hz 1080i film source material. This may, or may not, be more robust than the de-interlacing internal to the HD-DVD player and you would want to see which is better at downscaling the 1080P to the native of the display.

meansizzler:I think it is wrong to assume you should always come out of a source at the native res of the display you are going to. You need to look at the source material as well as the display and work out where it is best to do the different stages of conversion, ie De-interlacing, scaling and any post processes like you mention (nr and detail enhancement).