Worth going HD? (currently have 720p tv and upscaling dvd)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kp278, Jan 11, 2008.

1. kp278

kp278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi, i've read a couple of threads on "will i see the benefit if..." but didnt find anything conclusive.
    i currently have a toshiba 32c3030db (720p/1080i) and a samsung hd870 upscaling dvd player. viewing distance is about 5-7 feet.

will i see any benefit if....

i go hd/blu-ray (more likely blu-ray now) on this tv or should i wait a year or two until i get a bigger tv/1080p?

2. orc brute

orc brute

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    you will see a difference , but as they say big is always better :D

3. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    HD audio is also better as is even core audio to a 5.1 sound system.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Given that you will notice minimal difference on a 32" set and with the prevailing Hi Def uncertainty, save your money for now and see where we are next year.

5. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    I don't think you will see a difference on 32in 720p... maybe 1080i you might... wouldn't be much though.

6. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    I could see a difference on my 32" LCD with the Xbox Addon, However it certainly wasn't night and day, but even at my usual viewing distance of about 7Ft it was an improvement, the Audio was also of course improved. I don't think however I would have bought as many discs if my viewing had been limited to the same LCD, when you consider the price of HD media at the moment compared to SD, I think your money could be better spent on other areas first... perhaps a larger screen? Have a look here... ;)

7. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,249
    Will you get a bigger TV in the future? Do you want to keep buying DVDs?

8. Rourkey

Rourkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The improvement will not be worth the £10 extra per disc imo. I had a 32" tv about the same distance and it was better but not much better than a worse DVD player than you have.

Get a bigger tv first.

9. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    i have a 32" samsung 720p and HD material (blu ray) is vastly better on it than upscaled DVD via a denon 1930 at 8 feet

10. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Picture wise if I only watched on my 32" LCD I wouldn't bother with HD, the difference isn't large enough to be worthwhile (I'm 11 feet away from mine).

Sound quality depends on what sound system you have and at what volume you generally listen at.

11. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to agree with the majority here. I have HD DVD on my Sharp 32" LCD and although there is a difference, it's not a huge difference compared upscaled DVD.

Personally, I'd get a bigger TV first (which I plan on doing in the next few months). Can't wait to see HD on a nice 42" screen(or 50" if the Mrs. will let me!).

12. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have similar with a tosh and it is a different league to SD material, although I do only sit 5 feet away from screen when HD is on.

I will get a new screen but I was expecting a little longer than 2 years from my current one.

You can enjoy HD / Blu-Ray with a 32" screen but know about your viewing distances.

13. mikehb

mikehb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    well i can certainly see a vast improvement in pict quality on my sammy 32" between HD & DVD, many of my friends have instantly noticed the the better picture improvement. As to the much better sound formats thru my 605 its greatly improved.

Yet i do realise that to enjoy these better i'm going to need a bigger screen 1 day but as this current sammy is only 2yrs old maybe towards the end of this yr i'll change up. But until then i'll keep on using my present gear and enjoy my 70+ HD-DVD discs & still keep buying.

14. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 42" Samsung Plasma which also has 720p/1080i, and I sit at about 10 ft away. My Denon 1920 does a great job at upscaling - and I'd be hard pushed to notice the difference between BD from my PS3 and an upscaled DVD. I think my Denon handles sound better on normal SD discs. The PS3 creates a bit too much base on SD discs. I'll only by BD discs if they are in really good deals that give a unit price of about £13 each. I won't pay an extra £12-16 just for BD.

15. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    just get it delivered when she is out and when she gets home tell her you asked for a 42 inch set, but there must have been sme mix up and the expense of getting a return delivery would be massive - and anyway you have unpacked it now so we might as well have a look at what it is like plugged in......
    :D

16. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,478
    That sums it up in once sentence:smashin:

My Panny 37" Plasma - SD/HD at 6 feet. Big difference.:D
    My Panny 37" Plasma - SD/HD at 9-10 feet. Much less Big Difference:rotfl:

I really should have got a 50" screen last year:rolleyes:

17. Letsgetalane

Letsgetalane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You will see a difference between with a blue-ray player, but I don't think it will be big enough to warrant spending the cash now.

I have a PS3 and upscaling Sony DVD player with a 40" 720P set and I'm enjoying upscaled movies as much as Blue-Ray discs. The new SD Bladerunner version looked really good.

Blue-Ray players are at an expensive premium at the moment and the discs are pricey. For the price of one Blue-Ray disc on the high street, you can get up to five classic movies on SD DVD.

If you wait a couple of years you will probably be able to get a better value package with a full HD TV and a blue ray player and hopefully we will all start to benefit from the economies of scale in a blue-ray disc mass market.

If you can't then the chances are Blue-Ray will have gone the way of the laser disc :rolleyes:. and you can smile smugly all day.

Also Blue-Ray specification issues may have been be resolved so you won't have to worry so much about updating, legacy technology to do with Version 1 or 1.1 and whether the 24fps actually works.

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Lasersics, that 'niche' format that launched a HD variant in 1991!

19. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    i think you can sumise that we all see things differently

best thing to do would be to borrow a HD source and try it for yourself

20. nl7474

nl7474
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends on the film.

I too have a PS3 and I also have a Tosh HD - ep10.

Some HD disks have blown me away others however could easily be mistaken for upscaled DVD.

21. kp278

kp278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi, just measured, viewing distance is 7.5ft. i have v+ so i get the bbc hd channel. i'll try and catch a film on bbc hd (or record one...) and see what its like. so will blu-ray be visibly better quality than bbc hd?

i have a sony hts1100 amp/speaker set.

i'm not looking to buy a new tv just yet. current one is only 6 months old.

22. Letsgetalane

Letsgetalane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You will notice a difference on a 720p. I just watched the first half of Bladerunner on Blu-Ray, having watched an upscaled version of friend's SD version . The Blu-Ray picture is sharper and the colours more vibrant. Too good in some instances as "shortcomings" of special effects become apparent. The matte backgrounds start to appear as matte backgrounds which rather ruins the suspension of disbelief.

Blu-Ray players are in a state of flux at the moment as the new 1.1 specification comes into force ( I don't fully understand what it means). There are not many players that support the new spec on the market at the moment (the PS3 and ...anyone?).

You could probably save yourself a lot of hassle and heartache by waiting for manufacturers to release players/solutions to meet the new 1.1 specification, or you may end up with a player that cannot play the most recent releases.

23. roman-r

roman-r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    If colour banding is apparent in your setup and you find it annoying the HD will resolve that issue :thumbsup:

24. Albion

Albion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As confirmed in the podcast interview with the Blu-ray group representative from Panasonic,all Blu-ray titles will play in ALL Blu-ray players.

It's just that older spec machines will not be able to do Picture in Picture or deal with web content, that sort of thing.

I thought perhaps the interviewer in the PODCAST should have highlighted to the Blu-ray rep about why this was a problem,as HD-DVD was already fully spec'd from day one.

25. kp278

kp278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well, i sold the 360 and bought a ps3. the ps3 is alot nicer than the 360. much more refined. does more, like the internet browser, thats a nice touch. and the controllers are nice and light compared with the 360's (i never liked vibration).

i only have one blu-ray film at the moment- pirates of the caribbean: dead mans breasts, and while the picture was much nicer than upscaled dvd it didnt "wow" me. maybe i was expecting too much? its definitely an improvement though. the menu screens are razor sharp so i know its all good, and the panning shots of the black pearl across the water are just superb. i'd like to get hold of a blu-ray of a dvd i already have so i can compare it directly.

one thing that annoys me (not just hd images) is that i still get letterbox. i dont want to zoom and lose the edges or stretch and get skinny people in case i lose pq. why cant manufacturers make a tv that is wide enough to handle proper widescreen format and not this 16:9 [email protected] even if broadcasts are in 16:9 i think i'd be happier with black bars on the sides and a proper widescreen format for games and films.

26. radriderx

radriderx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Having read loads on this topic, the current opinion appears to be that HD isn't worth it on 32" or smaller tv's.

Does this mean that anyone who has purchased one of these HD-TV's has been conned by the electronics industry?

I've seen tv's as small as 15" advertised as 'HD' or 'HD Ready' and lets face it nobody likes to think they've been taken for a ride :mad:

I've got a 32" Sharp and I don't want a larger tv - does that mean I have to loose out on HD?

27. kp278

kp278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hd is definitely worth it on a 32" lcd tv, more so when its broadcasted. bbc hd/sky sports hd/ etc look a million times better than regular sd broadcasting. and upscaled/hd dvd through hdmi looks better than sd dvd through scart.

28. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    No one has been 'conned', you just have to use any equipment within it's 'limits'. You don't use a laptop from 10 feet away, it is no different for a tv if you want to see HD.

29. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    I think you need to understand a little more on aspect ratio's for films. :rolleyes:

30. Albion

Albion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The showman in us should really watch HD on a large screen.However I got into DVD via a DVD drive and watching from 12 to 18 in on a PC monitor.

Using the same arrangement I have managed to get into HD using a Blu-ray and HD-DVD Drive.This is in your face viewing that has a experience all of its own.Of course only one person can watch it,so for a shared experience youv'e got to go normal HD TV.

But noone in our house is particularly mad on HD-DVD/Blu-ray yet,so It suits me at this time

It may be a perception thing but smaller screens appear to produce higher quality images,and its also damn cheaper.
    On a CRT monitor (and CRT monitors are the best as far as I am concerned-just a pity the market is not investing its time in producing a decent HD CRT Television) the images I see are just wonderful.

Suffice to say smaller is not necessarily a bad option,not by a long way.