1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth getting?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lizzybif, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi

I was thinking of getting a DVD recorder as I've had a problem with the picture I get on playback from programmes recorded from TV on my VCR and thought that recording on DVD would give me a much better picture.

However, having quickly looking through some of the threads I'm not so sure now! :rolleyes:

I contacted my local dealer and he confused me talking about + and - when all I knew about was Region 2! :confused:

Anyway he said he had a Sony which played both and it costs about £250 but I don't know the model no.

Would those of you who have DVD recorders say that they are worth getting or should I stick with my VCR?

Also how easy or difficult are they to use?

Would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
    Liz

2. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only got a DVD recorder (Panasonic E55) as it was part of a deal with my plasma, but I couldn't live without it now. The picture on the better recording options is, to my eyes, no different to the actual TV broadcast. They take a bit of getting to know to get the most out of, but they offer so much more.

Thoroughly recommend getting one. Don't know anything about the Sony one, but I had a Sony CRT and thought it was superb (until I got a plasma!).

David

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Lizzybif,

Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature. It will guide you through the purchase of a DVD recorder - which, as David says, is well worth getting. DVD Recorders are a world apart from VCRs!

4. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks both!

For a complete technophobe like me it's really quite confusing knowing which one
    I should get?

All I want to do is record TV programmes and play DVDs. I'm a simple soul and need as simple a DVD recorder as I can get.

I am a bit worried as it seems Sony can only record up to 2 hours and I record more than this at a time and Rasczak you say that the DVD Player will not be so good so a stand alone DVD Player would be best?
    This really defeats the purpose for me as I don't have the room for this and is why I want a 'combi' and also I can't afford to fork out for a DVD recorder and a DVD Player at the same time.

5. spacedout52

spacedout52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lizzie,

My situation is very similar to yours-----need to record TV programmes at high quality, and for 4 hours---and must be simple to use.

Following the advice on this forum, I have just purchased a Panasonic DMR-ES10, for £179+£10p&p, from https://www.discountaudiovision.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=DMRES10

It is simple to use, and I am very pleased with the performance----no comparison with a VCR, infinitely better!!

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    You could pay a bit more and get a dvd recorder with hard disk. this will let you record much more and you only put stuff onto DVD when you want to keep it. Depending on quality and hard disk size anything from 40- over a 100 hours can be recorded, enough for most

My wife is a technophobe but has coped with the RDXS32 which is supposed to be the least easiest interface to understand.

7. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Like VHS recorders, DVD recorders have LP and EP modes which allows you to record for more than 2 hours on to a disc. Many have a feature that automatically switches to the appropriate recording mode according to the duration of the recording time set. The quality is still better than VHS too.

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    You have to get a dvd recorder with built in hard drive. These are soo much better and more convenient than those recorders without hard drives. You can get a Panasonic E85 for well under £300 now and there are other great options from Pioneer and Toshiba.

9. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for all the info.

I've done some research and have narrowed it down to a couple of models now so it may be a case of eetle ottle black bottle!!! ;)

I take it that DVD Recorders which have Dolby Digital will give a good sound on Dolby Digital 5:1 DVD's?
    At present I have a Nicam Stereo VCR/DVD Combi and it gives a really good sound and I'm a wee bit afraid that I might lose that?

Now I am sorry but I need to ask some more questions. As it's the first time I will have a DVD recorder I want to make sure I get it right so please bear with me!

I have a Freeview box which has been tuned into Channel 5 on my TV and, at the moment, this is connected to my VCR by RF lead and to the TV by RGB Scart.

Will this set up work for the DVD recorder as well? I have read that an RGB Digital Scart would be best and wonder where that would go? :confused:

Talking of the Freeview box, the manual says that this should be situated so many centimetres away from the TV and VCR which I find a bit strange since it is a set top box!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Finally, should I get a digital flylead?

Thanks in advance.

Liz

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    A RGB SCART is a RGB SCART, I don’t know of any special digital RGB SCART. The easiest way is to put the DVD recorder in between the Freeview and the TV – i.e., the RGB out of the Freeview and into the DVD recorder, then RGB out of the DVD recorder into the TV. If you just want to record from Freeview that’s all you need to do. If you also want to record analogue TV then you will also need to loop the RF through the DVD recorder. You could keep the VCR as it is, just take the RF out of the VCR and into the DVD recorder.

Dolby audio you get should be good.

Digital flylead? I guess you mean for the audio; yes if you have a digital audio input on your audio system then you can connect either an electrical or optical flylead for the audio.

Mark

11. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks Mark! Appreciate the advice as always.

Why do you, and lots of others on the forum, say to connect the RGB Scart from the Freeview to whatever you record from?

At present I have a VCR/DVD Combi and the Freeview box manual states that the Scart should be connected to the TV and the RF Lead to the VCR.
    When I asked the engineer who installed Freeview about connecting the box to the VCR by Scart he said it would give a poorer quality of picture?

Also I can't see in the TV manual whether the two scarts on my TV are both RGB compatible.

By the way this is not a criticism but a genuine query from someone who knows zilch about such things and gets very confused by conflicting advice. :confused:

Liz

12. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Liz,

VCRs are not RGB compatible (they only output composite), so that's why you wouldn't want to loop the RGB through it.

But with a DVD recorder (if you get a good one) they do support RGB in and out, and can "pass through" RGB.

You don't need any additional SCARTs on your TV. Just take that SCART which is going from Freeview to the TV, and connect it to the input SCART of the DVD recorder. Then take the output SCART from the recorder and connect it to the TV.

Which recorders are on your short list?

Mark

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Forgot to add - the reason you want to do this is you will get the best quality recording from an RGB input.

Mark

14. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Mark

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I take it then that you wouldn't recommend I connect the RGB Scart to my VCR as I have been advised to do by others? :confused:

The DVD recorder I like the look of is the Panasonic ES10. It's had some really good reviews on the forum.

15. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    You can connect a RGB SCART (as long is it is a fully wired SCART cable - note there are some special RGB SCARTS which only have the 3 wires for the R, G, B) to a VCR and it will work, it just will be normal composite and not RGB. My Freeview box has 2 SCARTS, one is RGB (which I loop through my recorder, then to the TV), the second SCART is for a VCR (and is composite), and I have that connected to my VCR.

With the Panasonic, it will support RGB in and out, so looping the RGB through it will work fine. Yes it looks a good recorder.... unless you want to splash out and go to the EH50 and have a HDD...

Mark

16. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Cheers Mark!

Think I will stick with ES10 as I don't have enough pennies for one with HDD. I only really want to record TV progs and watch DVD's so should be fine.

Liz

17. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Me again!

When I do eventually get the DVD recorder do you mind if I come back to you again to make sure I get the connections right?

I don't have much confidence with this type of thing and want to make sure I get it right to get the most out of the machine.

I have to confess I'm not sure what you mean by loop?!! :confused:

18. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Of course - lots of us here to help.

By "loop", I just mean to put it in between. I.e. the Freeview connection goes through the recorder (in one SCART and out the other) on it's way to the TV.

Mark

19. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks again Mark! I am here to learn at the feet of the masters! :lesson:

Another question for you I'm afraid. I had thought that a gold plated RGB scart was best but have been told that "gold plated leads are not recommended unless being connected to gold plated sockets as two different metals have different resistive characteristics ".

Is this right? :confused:

Liz

20. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely - the hard drive feature adds a lot into the machines useability. I've just bought the Panasonic E95 and highly recommend it:

Price - I got it for £340 but you need to shop around and in my case a bit of dealing with a good supplier helped :)

Hard Drive - 160 GB - that equals around 70 hours of SP recording - whch is a good quality

DV Input - this auto chapters your camcorders recording, much easier then to edit it. A use of the hard drive is you can pull in your camcorder video, tweak it around until you are absolutely happy with the recording then either/and leave it on the HD and upload to the DVD.

Machine allows for 30 timer programs and around 500 actual to be stored.

There is an E95 thread a bit further down which goes into that Panasonics features in more detail.

Tals

21. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I've never heard this. It is important to get a quality SCART cable; that doesn't neccessarily mean gold connectors, though they offer lower resistance, and this is a good thing.

Here is a link to a good primer on SCART cables; these guys are a good supplier of cables (and a sponsor of this forum).
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/scartleads.html

Mark