Worth getting upscaling HDMI DVD player - Panasonic S97

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the_oldhams, Feb 3, 2005.

1. the_oldhams

the_oldhams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am new to posting on these forums and was wondering whether it is worth getting the new upscaling HDMI DVD players like Panasonic S97 when I have already got a decent player - Pioneer DV-656A (non progressive scan). I am using it with an AE700 projector. To be honest the image seems very good anyway and how much better would it be if at all as all I can see the upscaling player does is to do the scaling rather than the projector - is the scaler really any better in the DVD than the projector ? I am also concerned that it will not be worthwhile given that high definition DVD is on the horizon ( yes I know they will be very expensive initially)

Thanks Mark

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I guess there would be a difference (not saying necessarily better) in using a digital connection (HDMI)

3. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have posted similar questions Mark, what it really boils down to is researching the quality of your projectors upscaler. If it is better then I am told there is no real benefit whatsoever. In which case you might as well wait for HD/Bluray

Matt

PS I would probably contact Panasonic UK and find out their opinion on the scalers qualities.

MattPanasonic