Worth getting my tag f3 serviced and another Tag question :)

dinoprada2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering as I picked up a near mint looking tag f3 100x5r if it would be worth getting it serviced?

Not sure how one can tell when this is or needed tbh as this is my first power amp? Also wondering how these old amps compare to modern class a/b amps and how much I would need to spend to better my Tag?

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

First off, it's a cracking amp, so well done on joining the club. Come on down to the TAG section towards the bottom of the forum home page.

Apparently, it is worth having it serviced. Kevin Green at the Audiocellar can do this for you for a far more reasonable price than IAG will charge and probably in significantly less time. He also offers a variety of upgrades which you can discuss with him if interested. That said, as this is your first power amp, I would just opt to have it serviced and then sit back back and enjoy it.

Thanks again mr orange :) how would the f3 compare to more modern amps in your opinion like the emotivas , ATI etc

I can't compare with those amps as I have never heard them. I went from a Yahama receiver to an Audiolab 8000X7 (a TAG 700:7R in an Audoilab case) to the 100x5R:7. The first upgrade from receiver to pre/power was obviously the biggest step, but upgrading to the full fat TAG amp was also a move I have not regretted.

There is a power amp shoot out thread on here (a bit old now) which would be good reading for you but I don't think it included any TAG amps. ISTR, the Emotiva did quite well.

Shame no tags were included :( what would a service do for my tag I mean if it's working and "seems" fine ?

I feel the same way as you. Mine is working and if fine. Also I live in Australia so getting it to the Audiocellar is cost prohibitive. A service will replace caps, which do die, check for dry joints and comprise a general clean up. Folks have reported that the amp sounds renewed afterwards, and you have confidence of many more years of service left.

In the pre-throw-everything-away-every-couple-of-years era, most manufacturers recommended having amps serviced, although that might have just been revenue generation ;).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom