Worth getting an SACD Player

jwlawler

I have Karajan's 1977 BPO cycle on LP (still) and CD. I have the Böhm you had on LP as part of a 22 CD box, and another 5 cycles. I really must get Hogwood's and Brüggen's.

I guess people are nostalgic for the snap, crackle and pop, background noise, harmonic distortion, limited dynamic range, restricted channel separation and all the faffing about with cleaning and static.

I reckon it's cheaper just to use an emulator. For example, iZotope offers some of the above at a much lower price than real LPs:

I have seen packages that attempt the reverse. For a while, I considered digitising old 78s so I was researching the opposite. One fix offered was for an off-centre hole. I have not experienced that but I expect that it sounds weird. I gave up when I found that others had done the job already and much better than I could. So, for example, I have digital versions of old 78s of Beethoven's Violin Concerto and Symphonies 3 and 5. Also, Rakhmaninov himself playing his own piano concertos.

I have used similar distressing packages in photography.

Wow and flutter used to be an important issue for me. I would always include some solo piano music in equipment reviews as I find that the piano exposes this most clearly. It is no longer a common issue but the habit remains and my first test is solo piano music. My first SACDs were Mari Kodama playing the Beethoven Piano Sonatas.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom