Worth getting a more powerful sub for small room?

R

rajkat

Hi

I purchased a Rel Stampede recently (slightly prefered the Strata sound, but dealer said as demo room was very large the Stampede would be ample for my smallish room at home 12'x15').

Fairly happy with the results, but was wondering if I'd see any benefitfrom moving up a few models to the Storm 5, which has greater internal volume, larger driver (10") and double the power (200w), given that my room is on the smaller side. I'd like to ensure a bit of upgrade proofing also. Size isn't an issue.

I listen as reasonable volumes (detached house :) ) but nothing deafening. Amp is AVR250. Fronts Ruark Prolouge IIs. Listening is 50/50 HT/Music.

Thanks

Richard

For that size room (which is fairly large for a UK house), I'd say you need a bigger (better) subwoofer. Does it have to be a REL though?

i use a Strata 5 in a room around 13 x 18 (approx)......and its lovely :)
the bigger the better as you can always turn it down...lol....

go whole hog, grab a Studio 3!...lol

Thanks. Sonically the Strata did sound more grounded than the Stampede in the large demo room.

Sub doesn't have to be a Rel, but after lots of research I've decided Rel is probably best for my budget & needs (high-level input). Like the look of the SVS stuff, but Stampede is exchange only not refund.

rajkat said:
Thanks. Sonically the Strata did sound more grounded than the Stampede in the large demo room.

Sub doesn't have to be a Rel, but after lots of research I've decided Rel is probably best for my budget & needs (high-level input). Like the look of the SVS stuff, but Stampede is exchange only not refund.

The BK XLS200 and Monolith also supports high-level input :lesson:

My rooms only 12' by 13' and i would say, the bigger the better.. :thumbsup:
I've had Servo 15's, SVS 20-39pc+ and now have a PB12-Ultra in my little room and i think they sound good to me.
Although i do think that Duel Servo's was a bit much, but then i am limited to where i can put them.
Maybe if i could have moved them round a bit more, they might of worked better.
If i had the money, i would of got a DD18 for my little room :eek:

You go for it......get the biggest Sub you can afford.
BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER.

I have to agree.
Bigger is better usually.
I have my all my stuff in my bedroom, (9' by 9' in a 6' L shape) and its brilliant. (the storm 5 i mean)

I would also add that if you're looking at it for mainly movie use and you do want a REL, stick with the Q-range, which are suited to movies :devil: than the music orientated ST-range. i.e. look at Q150, Q200, Q201, rather than Strata.

That said, if you like the sound, buy whatever you want.

IMO the Q series is pretty poor, there are much better subs out there for similar money.

Jeff said:
IMO the Q series is pretty poor, there are much better subs out there for similar money.
Not the Quake... at least is the only down fire Q...

But I would stick with the Stampede... ;)

rajkat said:
Hi

I purchased a Rel Stampede recently (slightly prefered the Strata sound, but dealer said as demo room was very large the Stampede would be ample for my smallish room at home 12'x15').

Fairly happy with the results, but was wondering if I'd see any benefitfrom moving up a few models to the Storm 5, which has greater internal volume, larger driver (10") and double the power (200w), given that my room is on the smaller side. I'd like to ensure a bit of upgrade proofing also. Size isn't an issue.

I listen as reasonable volumes (detached house :) ) but nothing deafening. Amp is AVR250. Fronts Ruark Prolouge IIs. Listening is 50/50 HT/Music.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Rajkat :) ,

I demoed the Stampede, Strata, & Storm. I would definitely change the Stampede for at least a Strata. If I had had a detached house I would have gone for the Storm, but in a terrace, since it does go lower, I would have been worrying about the neighbours too much.

T.

Hi Rajkat,

What is your budget and do you have any size issues?

The two questions I was going to ask too. :)

There are a lot of small, but really high quality subs out there.

The better the budget, the higher the quality.

Luckily size isn't an issue (understanding wife :) ). Budget is around the £1000 mark.

I'm collecting a Rel Storm V tomorrow, but ultimately I will probably sell it and get an SVS Ultra. I've got the Strata set up nicely now though - seems the key is minimising the resonance at certain freqs.

Just had a listen to a mates system who has an 12" Linn sub (don't know which model) and it sounds superbly punchy and deep. He's got a pro-installed £10k+ system though which I suppose helps!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom