Question worth getting a media streamer over a ps3?

Spacecat

Ex Member
Reaction score
I have a Kodi Htpc connected up to my main tv for my son to watch his movies on and it all works very well with my harmony remote

I recently set up a dedicated cinema room with a projector and use my PS3 for blu ray and media streaming future via PSM3 networking over 500mb A/V home plugs from my main pc. It all works well.

I need to put the ps3 back in the lounge at some point , is there any benefit to getting a media streamer such as a mede8er over another PS3?

This is not used day to day but for events like watching a movie.

Also your PS3 will have issues with some discs and Cinavia copy protection and just gives you a list of files over a nice GUI with proper info.

So far any mkv that I've streamed using ps3 media server from my pc has played without problems and the ps3 has a blu ray player as well

Then buy one, but it's neither a good streamer nor a cheap bluray player.

What's important is it's what you want.

Last edited:
I was just seeing if there was anything I'm missing out on I don't know about that a dedicated streamer can do that I need, it doesn't look like it So I'll probably go with a ps3 which can be picked up cheap these days.
Thanks for the quick replies

I guessing your PS3 handles the HD audio Ok? I have a PS3 (gaming only) and I use a Dune Smart media player because I have a NAS for my media (and not a HTPC), so the Dune does the hard work. As Percy says the media players are silent, probably handle considerably more file types directly (if you need, like me), don't have annoying green-red LEDs when it's on (Dune H1 at least), I can control the Dune from my iPad, as well as have my video wall (a choice of video walls, in fact, although the PC is needed to generate any, often) on the iPad and the screen from the Dune. There's probably not much costs difference between a used media player and a PS3.

I don't know how much power your HTPC consumes, but if its on anyway, you may as well just use the PS3 while its there.

Edit: the Dune smart range doesn't do 3D however (I expect you might already know).

my HTPC is in my lounge and is used day to day for my sons videos , my PS3 is in my cinema room with my PJ which is used for event movies blu ray discs or streamed my PS3Media player.

I am thinking of switching them over or just getting another PS3 to go with the PJ

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom