Worth getting a 1080p upscaler when already have a 1080i one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnnytv, Jan 25, 2008.

1. johnnytv

johnnytv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a new 1080p tv last night (Samsung le37m87bd) and had previously only had a 1080i Toshiba.

I bought a 1080i upscaler dvd (Sony NS76H) when I got the tosh and was impressed with the picture.

So my question is it it worth me getting a 1080p upscaling player (such as the Sony NS78) or would the picture be near enough the same even with a 1080p panel now?

2. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Well, first of all, there is no such thing as a 1080i LCD tv, but i do know what you meant. :D

This is one of these questions where you wonder if you are actually getting the best performance from your display.
    There may be conflicting advice on this, but i think it is always preferrable to match the input to the native resolution of the display.
    You have a full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080, so it makes sense to match this by setting your player to 1080P(which you dont have), or let your tv do the scaling by setting your player to 576P.

No matter what setting you make, you may not notice any difference. This could change with the quality of your player, although it would need to be much higher than the NS78.

Another option, and an ideal match for your screen, would be an HD-DVD, or a Blu-ray player (but only when playing discs in either format of course).

3. johnnytv

johnnytv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ron, what player would you recommend? I don't have a huge budget and don't wanna go down the hd-dvd or blu ray (since one will be discontinued and the other doesn't have the final profile sorted yet) so just wanna stick with normal dvd

4. eyespy

eyespy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Depends on which has the better upscaler - the TV or the upscaling player.
    I have a Sharp LC46XL2E which does a brilliant job upscaling SD DVDs and cannot notice any difference when feeding it a 1080p (upscaled) signal from a Phillips 5980.

5. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Hi johnny,
    I would rather not recommend anything if you dont mind - partly because everybody has their own views on this, but mainly because i dont think you will necessarily notice any difference from what you already have, when buying on a low budget.

Best thing to do is look through this particular forum - you will soon see the recurring names that seem to be popular with people.

Also....i understand your desire to stay with SD DVD for the moment. :) I feel exactly the same, although i do have a PS3 and a few Blu-rays.

6. johnnytv

johnnytv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, will stick with what I have then - set the dvd player to output at 576p and it seems to look better than it was at 1080i so I'll keep it at that and save some money in the process!

Thanks again for the help

7. killiefan

killiefan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Good decision Johnnytv. I've read elsewhere on these here Forums that improving picture quality visible to the naked eye is a factor of many things - one being the size of the screen and how far you sit from it (ok that's two). Many people say you need to go well above 42" to get the full benefit of max HD resolution - 1080P. Below that our eyes just can't tell the difference. Best to save your money whilst the HD DVD/BluRay "war" sorts itself out then buy a good HD player + a PJ + a good screen :devil:.

8. happhhitachi

happhhitachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    You could also consider a second user player. I got an Arcam DV88+ of the for sale section of this forum as a stop gap untill the format wars subsided and more disks are available at reasonable cost.

Pleased with this player and may even upgrade to one of the newer Arcam units. 2nd user obviously Arcam are a tad expensive new ;)

9. andyr300

andyr300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    i woulnt bother changing it unless you realy have an urge to buy something new!