1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth buying Plasma for US?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sam Carter, May 22, 2002.

1. Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been doing some research on plasma prices here and the US and noticed that 50 inch and below, there is not much price difference between UK and US.

However 50 inch and above, buying from the US is far cheaper.

For example price of a Panasonic TH50PHD3 is US$7899 while in the UK it is 7440 pounds. (the best value to buy from the US)

Price of a NEC 50inch 50PD2 Plasma is US$6333, in UK 5520 pounds.

Pioneer PDP-503CMX US$7800, in UK Pioneer PDP-503MXE 7040 pounds, Pioneer PDP-503HDE 8172 pounds.

42in Plasma PME42V3 HDTV/Multimedia Display Monitor
    (Sampo Technology)
    $3787.00

Any suggestions and please also advice the hassles involved buying a plasma from the US. I plan to fly to the US to buy a unit.

2. nickf

nickf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sam

Apart from the technical / picture differences which I'm sure others will tell you about, bear in mind the following:

* Mains supply is 110V in the US, 240V here. So you will need a mains converter.

* The weight. A large plasma with packaging weighs about 70kg at least, so shipping will cost a lot (plus it needs to be handled with care)

* You'll have to pay 22.5% (I think) import duty.

* I don't think the guarantee will be valid here.

If you add on those costs you'll find the difference isn't as good as it sounds.

Nick