worth buying a second hand Benchmark dac 1?

chrisus

Hi,I Have a chance to buy a Benchmark dac 1 for just under 600 pounds.
At the moment I have a Dac magic witch is opticaly connected to my Mac computer,and then on to a Nad 355 BEE serving Carlsson OA14 speakers.
I'm happy with the result gained by adding the DacMagic but am wondering if the Benchmark Dac1 will give me such a larger improvement as to be worth the cost.
Any input much appreciated
Chrisus

Mr_Sukebe

I can't say I was impressed by the one I heard, but that's just my opinion. VERY dry.

chrisus

Thank you both for your input,will not be able to try it with my set up.
I replied to an advert and will be going to see it tomorrow.
Must say that I am beginning to have second thoughts.
Chrisus

ryart

I've recently bought the hdr version, but they should all sound similar. I think it is excellent in so far as it reproduces detail in the recording without adding any colouration. I've not heard a DACmagic so can't compare with that, but I find it significantly better than a Beresford Caiman, good as that is. The Caiman sounds rather "dark" and "wooden" by comparison although I can well imagine many people preferring that.

I can understand it being described as dry as it is designed to convert the information as accurately as possible. There are plenty of opportunities to manipulate the sound with amps and speakers if required, but it helps if there is as much resolution to start with. The Benchmark is also a good choice if used with a source which imparts a lot of jitter. In the grand scheme of things DACs make relatively little difference to the sound compared with choice and positioning of speakers.

Be very interesting to hear of your experiences.

chrisus

Hi Ryart, thank you,I have been out looking on the net and 98% of the people have only good things to say about dac1.
I am playing flac or aiff files from my mac & the dac magic certainly cleaned up the sound,that is why I am wondering if the benchmark will be worth the upgrade?
Chrisus

pcavelle

I had a Cambridge & went from there to a Dac 1 Pre - which was a different league in performance, although I'd agree it's a touch dry & analytic, lean really. Still a big jump up though.

chrisus

Hi, have just come home with the second hand Benchmark dac 1 and have used it for about 30 min.My first impression is the same as pcavelle post.
It is going to take a bit of time running in that is my ears (not the dac it, is second hand)
Thank you all for your help and time
Chrisus

pcavelle

Still a very good dac though - very detailed, explicit sound - just depends if that's what you like, or whether you prefer something a bit more 'fruity'. Having said that the Cambridge is also a cracker, especially for the money.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom