Worth buying a PS3 (slim) now?

chimpmagnet

I'm looking for a PS3 but there aren't any great deals out there. It's as if this console has held its value better than any other console in history!

Anyway I might get one from Game because they had a bundle with Battlefield 2 which is what I want.

Is there any reason for not buying a PS3 now?
Is there a new version or anything coming out in the near future that would be worthwhile waiting for?
Also why is there such a shortage of stock??

Last edited:

humanfish

Wait until Weds to see if Sony announce any version if the console at their E3 show, if not go for the best deal you can find.

DJSigma

Banned
I wouldn't buy any console right now, because as humanfish says, their E3 conference is on Tuesday and it's possible that they might announce a price cut. What I would do is wait until after E3, just in case they make any announcements, then keep checking HotUKDeals.com to see what good bundles come up.

chimpmagnet

Thanks guys, I can wait another week or so to see what happens. Hopefully there will be a price cut... We are in a recession after all!

bonzobanana

Well the revised PS3 Slim is just hitting stores now, which runs cooler and quieter on average and will probably last a bit longer than the original Slim because of its 40nm RSX graphics chip instead of 65nm.

However there is yet another PS3 in the pipeline for the christmas season. Maybe with a 32nm Cell replacing the 45nm cell processor. I think Sony are looking to have a huge christmas season with a £149/$200 PS3 or close to it.

Its all speculation of course but Sony are definitely motivated to bring down the retail price of ps3.

I remember when the 40GB PS3 was announced, the 60GB version dropped in price. I got my 60GB then with a great price for the time which was only about twenty quid more than the best 40GB deal in a similar bundle. I'm still enjoying ps2 gaming as well as ps3 gaming on it today.

The thing is new ps3s cause the older models to drop in price even if the new ps3 is inferior. Best time to buy is always the transition stage as you can either buy the new model or get a great deal on the older model.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom