1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth buying a HDTV now?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by addit, Oct 28, 2005.

1. addit

addit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    First off, I'm considering buying a HDTV. However like a few of you here, I am slightly dissatisfied with the current latest and greatest TV technology. Be it Plasma or LCD they all seem to produce worse picture quality than the big beast of a CRT sitting beside me now. Now I'm willing to make a slight comprise (there resolution is just too darn good!) BUT then again I've heard about all these new "superior" technologies such as OLED etc. So I'm wondering whether you all thing now is the right time to buy a HDTV. I was planning on buying mine sometime january... You think it would be worth waiting it out?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    alot of people like to future proof but im holding out for a while longer my SD panny is fine for everything. until HD is mainstream there will be alot more range cheaper prices and better technology. Why buy a HD plasma now and have no HD to view when you can wait until you can view it and have a better screen

3. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    2nd Dec - XB360 - HD - surley reason alone ?

4. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    My thoughts also - infact I have just gone and bought a Hitachi 32LD7200 'HD ready' LCD screen as a result of the 2nd December.

However if it were not for Xbox360 and PS3 nearly upon us I doubt very much I would even know what 'HD Ready' means and would not be liable to the tune of £1250 to American Express :)

5. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am waiting until SLY launch the HD service and then see which HD Ready screens cut the mustard. It's just speculation at present as to what screen will be best (if any) with actual HD feed. Will SLY HD be up to scratch? No one know's. All will be revealed in Feb/March 2006..... :rolleyes:

6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    I have just visited our annual Hi-tech show where most of the major manufacturers had their latest goodies on display. A few months ago we bemoaned the fact that we had little opportunity to see what HD Ready sets looked like with HD source material. This show turned that one right round and, from what I heard, succeeded in completely misleading Joe Public. People were undeniably gobsmacked by the performance of the TVs, showing computer driven HD material, and I won't single out a particular manaufacturer. (Except Sharp who were showing the 65" LCD which was amazing, as was the price.) My point is that people were being led to believe that if they take these sets home they will get a similar picture. Very few were showing the understandably downgraded performance they will get from current programme sources. Sky were there, but in a very low key way and I didn't see any reference to their upcoming HD service. I think people are very confused and a lot of money was changing hands with people really understanding what it is all about. And who can blame them. Of course older non-HD sets were shifting at prices around 50% of what they were last year. There were also sets being displayed as 'HD compatible', and we know what that means.

7. 10bii

10bii
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What "current programme sources" are you referring to?

What makes you think that the samples you saw would not be what you will see when you get HD services?

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    He's talking about SD programme sources. If you read his post again you'll see that he's suggesting people were being led to believe that they would be able to achieve the same stunning quality they were seeing via HD at the show when they got home and plugged their brand new purchases into SD sources.

9. 10bii

10bii
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    His assesment doesn't add up. Why would the public think that HD displays with HD sources would look the same with current TV programmes? How was the public being misled?

10. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ready to buy a new TV now, were changing rooms so I plan to keep the old 32" CRT in the front room with SKY, buy a new LCD and SKY+ for the back room.

So are you saying I may be better getting a 500-700 32" CRT instead of a PF329830?

Thanks

11. Tojal City

Tojal City
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    People just don’t known the signal is in HD, they think a standard definition signal would give them the same picture quality. How many friends you have who are not hardcore A/V buffs and know what is HD?

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If you're intent on buying an LCD I would look at the new Sharp P Series which has a resolution more closer to standard def PAL broadcasting and DVD. IMO they give one of the best renditions of SD TV for an LCD currently available, including the Philips, and if you look around you can pick up the LC32P50E for around £750. They do also have HDMI connection, so whilst not being "HD Ready" they can still show HD broadcasts albeit at it's lower native resolution.

13. 10bii

10bii
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But is that how those HD screens were being marketed?

14. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Considering that very few retailers are honest enough to tell customers that buying a HDTV isn't the best for viewing SDTV on then yes.

15. 10bii

10bii
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is if a person is going to buy such tvs to take advantage of HD then they will have no choice but to deal with less than ideal SD image quality on said tvs.

16. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    True, but they never seem to be told that though. There are obviously plenty of people buying screens today with the intent of taking full advanatge of the HD services when they arrive but for each one of them there are plenty of customers simply replacing their current equipment and are being sold the latest tech whether they'll use it for HD or not, they'll be seduced by the retailer's patter and the excellant quality of the demos only finding out when they get the TV back home that it doesn't quite meet expectations.

There are loads of posts over on the LCD forum, for example, of people buying the latest HD models only to find out they're relatively poor at SD, and these are the ones that have done some research not the usual Joe Public.

17. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    He's talking about SD programme sources. If you read his post again you'll see that he's suggesting people were being led to believe that they would be able to achieve the same stunning quality they were seeing via HD at the show when they got home and plugged their brand new purchases into SD sources.

His assesment doesn't add up. Why would the public think that HD displays with HD sources would look the same with current TV programmes? How was the public being misled?

Sorry if my message was unclear. I was listening to people's comments at the Show. They were looking at computer generated HD pictures on HD TVs. I suspect that most of them have no idea what HD is, or ever heard of HDMI or the Sky HD service. They see a pretty picture on a TV at the show. When they get the set home and use it for normal SD via an aerial or a freeview box they will wonder why it is not as great as they saw in the demo. People are generally not techno minded, its all moved to fast for them. A great number of customers do not know how, or why, they need to set a digital box for 16:9 if they have a widescreen TV. I go into a lot of homes in the course of my job and the number of distorted pictures I see on TV's astounds me.

I did not hear one salesman at the weekend say 'Of course this is a High definition picture, and you will need to spend another £300 to buy a Sky box, and then there will an additional charge if you want to receive the channels.'

Education on HD has a long way to go.