Worth an upgrade yet?

conan031

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok I am currently using a Samsung ue49ku6670u - a curved TV that was bought for £400 pounds from Curry's back in 2016

Lately the curved screen has been getting on my nerves - this is a bedroom TV and my PC is set up next to the TV, So I am often watching at a 45 degree angle and with curved it just does not work..also the Youtube app keeps going black and we need to turn the TV of and on to reset.

We do a lot of Gaming on the Xbox one, and with lockdown I am considering if this is the time to buy something new.

My question is - would something like a Q90 see much of an upgrade to picture quality compared to the 50/60 htz VA edge lit panel in my current TV?

Im trying to weigh up the pros and cons of swapping, Since the Q90 is still over triple what i paid in 2016 for my TV I would expect quite an upgrade, but was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this?

Also can I understand QLED tvs are bright but can they still go very dim? we leave the TV on over night and my partner likes to dim it down low. Do QLED Sets run hot? my room already gets pretty hot in the summer due to a large south facing bay window.

And lastly Is this a good time to buy, or are we worth waiting longer to future proof more? (I realize with tech this is the impossible question but just wondering if anything in the known pipeline...I do notice 8k is coming, but feel we are only just starting to see mainline 4k adoption now)

I'm not totally set on Samsung, OLED is tempting but with the gaming and running overnight screenburn worries me - any other makes or models that you want to suggest id be glad to check out, i have a budget of about £1200 tops and need a screen size of 49" to 55" max.

Its also worth mentioning that a set at this price would need to do me at least 6 years plus.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
'QLED' is Samsung's top range of LCD TVs, they behave exactly the same way as your current Samsung LCD TV, except for whatever software changes Samsung has implemented in the last few years.

The Q90R would be a big improvement for HDR content., but probably not much difference for SDR stuff.

High end TVs do tend to be able to handle a lot of power, which means lots of heat. The actual power use/heat output would depend on content and settings (how bright the backlight needed to be run). I'd expect it to put out slightly more heat for SDR at the same brightness (as it's a bigger TV) but HDR content would probably cause it to run hotter because it can display much more of it's brightness range.

8K is unlikely to gain any traction outside of VR use. As you say a lot of content creators currently find the heavy bandwidth cost of 4K isn't worth the small picture quality improvement and haven't been rushing to adopt it.

I'm surprised TV prices haven't gone back up, with the high demand and low production right now I'd have expected it. £1,400 for a 55" top of the range TV is a reasonable price so now is a good time to buy before 2019 stock runs out.

Sony are the other company making high end LCDs at the moment, so they'd be your main alternate. Although their flagship ZG9 isn't available below 85" so you'd probably be looking at the XG95 which is a step down from the Q90R, but also a fair bit cheaper.

Thank you for your help and advice - Now would seem to be a reasonable time to upgrade I think, I will keep looking for now - was almost set on the Q90R but this seems to suffer in game mode so back to the drawing board for now!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom