1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth adding a rear centre for DD-EX?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lostprophet, Oct 17, 2004.

1. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

Wondered if its worth me adding a centre rear? My rears are wall mounted either side of the seating position, about 8 feet apart. The seating position is backed up to the wall so is it worth me adding an extra rear? Will I get the benefits of the effects? I thought I could get a small centre speaker and wall mount it between the two normal rears.

If it is worth it can anyone suggest a speaker that fits the bill? In cherry if poss...

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yes it can be worth it:D It fills in the void at the back of the soundfield. Just get something that suits the style of your present speakers.
    IMHO its better to use a normal speaker other than a centre style as centres are designed as dialogue speakers and not surround duties.

3. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the advice Dfour, I presumed that as the channel is called rear centre it was better to use a centre speaker. The only problem now is finding a speaker to fit in with the rest!!

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    With my previous setup of B&W speakers I used the LCR60 centre for surround rear and IMO it worked very well.
    In an ideal setup you would be sitting at least a couple of foot forward of a surround rear speaker, but in your case you say the seating is against the rear wall. In this case I have seen it advised (but not tried it myself) that you have the speaker up high pointing down, or even on the floor pointing upwards. This will at least give a little distance between you and the rear speaker.

Mark.

5. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yeah I was going to mount it higher, the rears are about 18 inches above seating position pointing out into the room, I was going to put the centre rear a couple of feet higher than this and angle it towards listening position.

Bit confused now are you saying a centre can do the job but a normal speaker is prefered of does it really not make a lot of difference? i would have thought that as long as speaker is good quality it wouldn't matter if its meant to be used as a centre or not.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I think any decent speaker will work well. The LCR60 is designed to be used as either a centre or a L/R speaker (hence the name LCR60).
    The advantage of a centre speaker is that they are easier to buy as a single, rather than in a pair like most speakers.

Mark.

7. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Exactly, thats why i was thinking of a centre in the first place, don't fancy buying a pair just to leave one boxed up! A centre speaker it is then, its only effects, I guess it doesn't have to match up as well as the fronts. Any recommendations for a small-ish centre, preferably in cherry finish?

8. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I use monitor audio Sfx's (soon to be Gfx's) as my surrounds, and I found that adding the extra rear channel really helps fill in the sound stage. Mine are layed out in a very similar layout to the one you describe. I simply used another Sfx for the rear (it's only effects after all).
    Then you can enjoy the extended versions of The Lord of the Rings in proper 6.1 :)]

Tony