1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst recording ever ?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by slingshot, Apr 26, 2002.

1. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Don't know if this ones been done before, but what's everyones worst CD/LP/DVD for recording and production (rather than musical content) ?

I've got a couple of really horrible recordings :-

1 - Red Hot Chilli Peppers - californication, I really love the music by the production is terrible, the guitars sound horribly distorted in the treble, which might be OK but who's ever heard of distorted cymbals ?

2 - Travis - the man who - I'll admit I hate the music on this one aswell, but again there's a real harsh edge to a lot of the guitars and sometimes the vocals, my HiFi seems to show this problem more than some other setups, but I can still hear it on the car stereo aswell.

3 - Holst the planets DTS5.1 CD - just can't cope with the strange recording of this, what are those violinists doing sitting behind me, every time I try and put it on I end up reching for my old vinyl stereo copy.

Anyway anyone else got some music that deserves throwing away.

2. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    3 - Holst the planets DTS5.1 CD - just can't cope with the strange recording of this, what are those violinists doing sitting behind me, every time I try and put it on I end up reching for my old vinyl stereo copy.

Doh, and I've ordered this. Which version is it? Andre Previn?

Doesn't your amp allow dts 5.1 stereo downmix to 2.0 stereo?

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    got to agree with you there.....you can't even turn the volume up, otherwise distortion goes mad!!!

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    A friend of mine has an elderly LP of Beethoven piano music. Just a couple of seconds after the very first track starts, the pianist makes a mistake. He stops, practices the opening a couple of times, pauses then starts again. It's all there on the record. The producer (if there was one) must have been asleep, deaf or woefully ignorant.

The sound quality, however, is excellent...

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

5. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It was the LSO version, I think was Previn but I'm not sure, a couple of friends like it, however I'm a bit of a vinyl freak anyway so probably a bit biased. I just found some of the high frequency stuff from the rears too distracting.

Anyway hope you enjoy it and I haven't put you off.

Slingshot

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,048
    I have a CD of The Planets conducted by Andre Previn but mine is with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
    I had a LP recording with the Sir Malcolm Sargent conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra. which is or was superior, only one day I was playing it on my dads deck and the arm decided to move right across the record from the end of Mars to Jupiter, via Venus and Mercury, it must be the longest scratch on a record ever.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    many years ago, when they made a record, they actually cut the grooves "live". If there was one mistake, they either scrapped it and started again, or just kept going....no post-production editing in those days.

I've no idea how much "blank" records were at the time, but maybe it was down to cost and / or available.

8. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Oh no, this was well into the LP-vinyl, tape-editing era.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

9. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the worst I have heard (note the I part) is

Oasis - What's the Story (Morning Glory)

For such a good album it sounds nasty!

10. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Slingshot ,

No, I still love the music.

I have heard that The Planets is now to be released in full blown DVD-Audio format by dts. I'm not sure which version though.
    Mark

11. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The production on Anthrax's first offering 'A Fistful of Metal' is lack lustre. But then again early thrash metal always suffered from being badly produced. Still a damn fine record though.

12. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Early 70's Heavy Metal wasn't very well recorded either. Take the first few Black Sabbath albums 'Black Sabbath' and 'Paranoid' for example. They were recorded on shoe string budgets in no time at all. But managed to spawn a whole new genre of music. Which lead to thrash metal and other genres.

But as you say "still damn fine records though".

Regards.

13. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased Paul Wellers Acoustic disc which sounded dreadfull.

Chip

14. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    My worst disc is Annie Lennox - Diva. Low levels with distortion crashing in on the peaks. Nice.:D

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite simply, any album by The Misfits.

Every album is basically your worst 4 track cassette demo lovingly re-created onto CD.

Such a shame that such great songs are obscured by such appalling sound quality.

16. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Disc 3 - you mean there is a collection of country line dancing that is carried over 3 or more discs - I'm horrified

You need a new CD player my friend

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "You need a new CD player my friend"

Or maybe just new ears?

"I have a huge collection of Country and Western Music Cassettes (started collecting in 1981 whilst on holiday in Texas) which are my pride and joy, and I feel it would be almost impossible to replace them all with CD. To be honest I do not feel that CD is any superior in quality anyway."

Are you seriously suggesting that 20+ year old cassette tapes could be of higher quality than CD?

By all means somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but assuming the same source is used to master a recording, isn't cassette tape technically the very WORST quality hi fi format there is?

18. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    juboy,
    Ignoring convenience factors, I feel CD is possibly the worst hi-fi format for actually listening to your favourite music.
    I have many 20 year old cassettes that still sound as good as when they were new.
    Vinyl is still tops with me.

19. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is knew? When did CD ever sound any worse after 20 years of listening to it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    some people here must be winding us up...

the problem with cassettes is the that the actual tape stretches over time, well after around several dozen listens.....and this effects the quality of the sound.

Andbody that says the cassette is better than CD, needs some help!!

21. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mjn: I have to agree. Put even a well recorded cassette tape next to a TV, unshielded speakers or even on a windowsill with sun coming through and you'll notice your tape sounds bloody awful after 20 minutes let alone 20 years :)

Unless you physically scratch a CD with a sharp object it'll sound just like it did 20 years ago (although, to be fair, there weren't too many CDs around exactly 20 years ago!).

In fact, as the surface protection contaminents and shine of the edges wear off, there's a chance CDs could actually sound *better* as they get older.

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,048
    I believe you also can get print through? after a length of time i.e. as one layer of tape sits next to the other it affects it.

23. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    yes, i've heard that one aswell...

not the mention, the actual tape, starts to corrode aswell, and starts splitting up, ie the metal starts to fall away.....very nice.

24. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Tape sounds worse, full stop.

I've still got a nice collection and played a few the other day, and they were terrible. Dull, undynamic and lifeless.

Vinyl however is still King. Even though I stopped using my deck in favour of CD, it is still far superior. CD can be very, very good indeed, but doesn't quite achieve what a good record can.

25. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Worst for me (and it shows the diversity of music I listen to) Pavarotti, the Gold collection 40 classic performances of songs that I am embarrassed to put back on the cd, and DIO, The best of, this is so awful I cannot even listen to it on my car cd!! It stinks, in fact I have just tried to get it out to remind me how bad it was but can't find it - hopefully I chucked it!

26. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    john87,
    I didn't say my CDs sound worse after twenty years, only that I have cassettes that still sound well.
    I had my first Sony CDP-101 player in March 1983, my first discs came free, Journey, Elton John and Billy Joel. I sat with anticipation as Don't Stop Believin' from the Journey album Escape began. After all the pre-launch excitement I was horrified, it sounded awful. I followed it with Blue Eyes by Elton John, "Perfect Sound That Lasts Forever", not.
    I tried other players, strange shapes and sizes, Philips, Marantz and Hitachi. They were almost as bad. Decided that I couldn't enjoy Compact Disc yet.
    Almost twenty years later I am happy to say the same three discs from way back now sound terrific, the players are totally better as you might expect.
    However, I can still enjoy cassettes recorded back then more than say, the latest Sheryl Crow album, C'mon, C'mon, based on sound quality alone, CDs are still not as good as quality analogue.
    Maybe this is where SACD or DVD-Audio triumphs, but I don't care for the multi-channel remixes, I am a bit tired of Tubular Bells, but I remember it was originally a four channel possibility.
    I have lots of 8 track cartridges too, anyone for "The Best Of Bread" in Quadraphonic, now that is better than cassette! :blush:

27. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Journey rock, regardless of format:)

28. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    juboy,
    Journey are one of my favourites, along with Blue Oyster Cult...

29. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have all the Journey albums on vinyl along with the Steve Perry solo album... 'Raised On Radio' still sounds amazing even now.

'Shooting Shark' by BOC is one of my all-time favourite tracks... I have the 7" vinyl of that too!

gringottsdirect: have you ever listened to the band 'Starz'? Very underrated band, I reckon you'd like them.

30. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    juboy,
    Shooting Shark, - tops!
    I'll investigate Starz...
    Thanks.