Worst overrated film?

T

The Limey

What's the one film(or more)that everyone tells you is a classic and you just can'y see it?

To get the ball started, for me:

A Clockwork Orange
Gone With the Wind
Titanic(yeah i like it but come on, the highest grossing film of ALL time and 11 oscars...i think not.

The Thin Red Line.
****ing boring, pointless load of ****e. Felt robbed of my twenty quid (the mrs felt the same).

My selection......

Independance Day
Fight Club
X-Men
Anything by Tarantino
Anything wih Star in the title......that includes the biggest pile o'
****e ever.........Star Wars!! :^p

------------------
I....have come here......to chew bubblegum.....and kick ass.....and
I'm all outta bubblegum.

I'm with you on 'A Clockwork Orange'.

My pet hates are 'Braveheart' and 'Forrest Gump' - the former is just tosh, and the latter robbed the infinitely superior Shawshank of Oscars glory.

Yeah, Clockwork Orange for me... terrible. Also, Independence Day, Armageddon and I'll think of some more... oh yeah, most of Woody Allen's films.

------------------
Tee
www.electronicreality.co.uk

[This message has been edited by tee (edited 25-09-2000).]

Out of Sight ...
All the "sexual chemistry" between Clooney & Lopez of an episode of "Terry & June" ...

------------------
"Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

Armageddon is top of the list (Tee!!). But you could also include The Rock, Three Kings, Face Off, Godzilla, Out of Space, I could go on.

PS Why is it when I started a similar thread a few weeks back I was ridiculed with people telling me 'how dare I slag of Armageddon - I'll spend my money on anything I want'. This post is the same but worded slightly differently. I'm going to start crying.

Actually, Godzilla isn't overrated at all. It's actually underrated, because it's a very good movie. Lost In Space also isn't overrated, but there's a real reason for it - the movie is bull****.

Sorry Bero, I know everyone has opinions, but I have to agree with SOK again, I also think Godzila is s**t, a real stinker. Is it a coicidence that it's from the same clowns that brought us ID4? Jank.

------------------
Tee

GODZILLA and Twister have the same story line, just different disasters, they both bite the bull's butt! I enjoyed ClOCKWORK ORANGE, once in the theatre, and bought a used copy of the LD seven or eight years ago. I've watched the movie twice. I like the sentiments of the film, but it's not entertaining! Most of the films we might kick in a discussion like this have no sentiments, no point at all. Except, of course, to generate money. Therefore, I give brownie points to CO. Guess, which two slasher films I hate, I don't care what they do next summer either....RAVENOUS is disgusting!
Bon appetite!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

[This message has been edited by Rachael Bitchlist (edited 25-09-2000).]

I feel obliged to back SOK regarding Armageddon, whilst i do actually own this film(great DVD demo stuff)the film is ok but when it gets included in Empire magazine readers top 100 films you know there's something roten in Denmark.

Willis crying is hilarious.

Give it up Bruce you're not John Wayne

PS:I've just discovered a cool website:

Give it a look,some of the features had me in tears!

The Exorcist - Biggest pile of sh*t I've seen in my life. Some of the later episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H were scarier.

------------------
"Do not buy any Sony TV as according to Sony, they do not output NTSC in RGB. I found out the hard way, by paying £1650 for a KP41DS1U which is inadequate"
Not at all against Robbie Williams (Glasgow) Ltd or companies with a similar name

[This message has been edited by MilesBennettDyson (edited 26-09-2000).]

Although not exactly a 'classic' in the eyes of the media here's a few popular ones that melt my brain with boredom (with tongue in the general direction of cheek in some cases)

'Dumb and Dumber' Mind numbingly boring. Not a funny scene was seen.

In fact any Carrey movie apart from 'The Mask' and 'The Truman Show'. Stop Grinning like a gibbon Jim, and give us more performances like Truman.

'Face-Off' Oh Mr Woo, what can you do? Not very well it seems. Ballet Dancing on speed, a precursor to the equally bad but not quite as 'universally' liked Mi:2. Go back to Hong Kong at once old fella.

Any 'Brosnan' James Bond flick. Squinting and wearing a tux does NOT make you hard mate.

'Die Hard 2' Fake snow for starters....ugh! And ejector seats in a transport aircraft....oh per-lease. By the way, if you throw a lit 'zippo' or match into jet aircraft fuel the flame goes out (I've tried it!).

'Four Weddings and a funeral' aka: a day in the life of a foppish tw@t. fudge fudge fudge f*ckity fudge this film is $hite.

'Pretty Woman' Pretty Lame.

'Pulp Fiction' Sorry Quent, but editing a movie when you're on speed doesn't make it, or you, arty or cool.

'Spy Hard' And there was me thinkin' that comedies had to be funny. Les proves me wrong.

'Top Gun' Complete arse from start to finish. And by the way Ms McGillis, you are a very ugly chick. Take my breath away....yes please, then I won't ever see this film again.

Any John Candy movie. John, you were never funny, now you are dead you never will be.

[This message has been edited by PeteH (edited 26-09-2000).]

A question- I thought this was " worst overated film" not "name some ****e films that made lots of money"!

How these films (especially when you remember the very average or poor reviews) can be deemed as ever being overated is beyond me:

Armageddon
Lost in Space
Godzilla
Spy Hard (?!)
Brosnan Bond Movies

All of these have always been deemed as rather poor (although I wouldnt blame Brosnan for the quality of the films- as he IMHO is only 2nd to Connery)- the first three only having value as demo material.

My choice: The Abyss

Rules are for fools to follow and for the guidance of the wise.

Nothing wrong with a bit of tangential action is there?

PS: the fact that anybody could enjoy Spy Hard makes it overrated in my book, and yes, I've met people who did!

[This message has been edited by PeteH (edited 26-09-2000).]

Good point Duncan, this thread is all about OVERRATED films, not just sh*t films. I have gotta agree with all your choices, except for The Abyss that is. I've also managed to think of a couple more that are no doubt gonna upset a few people but they're my choices....

Get Carter
Apocalypse Now

------------------
Tee

Tee (Hee)- 2 of my favourite films, although I do agree that Get Carter is not as good as people think- Alfie is another that falls into this same catagory.

ps- I did laugh once in Spy Hard-when it ended.

"The Abyss" is a stonking film, that is criminally underrated and underappreciated. Get the R1 Special Edition DVD and maybe you may change your mind!

However, back on to the topic in hand:
Worst/most overrated film? Without a shadow of a doubt, "The Blair Witch Project". Not a single second of the film was scary, nor was it an original idea. That honour goes to Ruggero Deodato's "Cannibal Holocaust" from 1979! And, you can also add "The Matrix"! John Woo did the same stunts, only using real people and filmed it over 7 years ago! The Wachowski Bros. are just ripping off someone else's (far superior) talent, which just goes to show how unoriginal they really are!

And to think that both of these films, have got sequels and/or prequels planned!

Pooch

MY turn to add to the list;
The Blair Witch Project
The last Star Wars (crap)T.P.M.
All Jackie Chan movies from Rumble in the Bronx

I forgot about BLAIR WITCH, yea! I can go out in the woods and curse that well or even better. Cheers!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

What about American Beauty - oscar winner and overated to the sh.t house!

Another oscar winner I just couldn't believe was As Good as it Gets. Best actor and actress for Nicholson and Helen Hunt???? NOT.

Thin Red Line - I slept through most of it.

TPM - hated it in the cinema, enjoyed it slightly more on video (surprise?) The digital effects blended in better and I could follow the story (what little there was).

Originally posted by HC Dude:
The Thin Red Line.
****ing boring, pointless load of ****e. Felt robbed of my twenty quid (the mrs felt the same).

SPINBALL. - Good man. I watched it with my chick and we turned it off at the scene where the guy let a grenade off in his trousers (apparently, cause they don't show you). We were just so astonished at how bad it was. Never watched any more of it.

Pile of poooooooo!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom