1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst ever "added" scenes

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Boy Lex, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting fed up with DVDs having extra scenes in them just for the sake of it.

I bought Independence day on Laserdisc a long time ago when it came out with ac3 dolby digital. Unfortunately a while ago my ac3 decoder packed in so I can't watch any of my ac3 laserdiscs in dolby digital.

I saw the DVD for a fiver and thought, ok I'll buy it because it was good in dolby. To my surprise there were 8 minutes of extra footage that was not in the original theatrical release.

THERE'S A REASON IT WASN'T IN THE THEATRICAL RELEASE - IT WAS SH***!!!! :boring:

An entire sub-plot about some kid being sick that had nothing to do with anything and was therefore rightly cut. Put it on the DVD if you must, but why incorporate it into the film and leave me no option but to watch it?!!!?!?!

Anyway what other 'Extra -extended not in the original release' are there to avoid?

2. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Very disappointed with Cinema Paradiso directors cut.

Essentially an additional ending tacked on that did not add anything to the original.

Peter

3. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Terminator 2 directors added scenes did nothing for me, long time since I've watched it but there were various dream sequnces added. Spoilt it for me.

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    it did also add some cool scenes too though, like the t-1000 becoming unstable and uncontrollably melting into everything he touched, and the amusing scene where the t-850 learns to smile.

the added scenes in the uncut version of hellraiser 3 are pretty pointless, they go as far as being something like a woman walking through a door.. and they are all vhs quality.

same goes for army of darkness the director's cut. 15 mins that flesh out the worst parts of the movie by making them even worse :smashin:

oh and the original release of independence day did have the option of watching either the theatrical or extended version of the movie, but it did not have the dts track the new version has.

5. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd really like to meet whoever it is that buys a dvd BECAUSE it has these crappy extra scenes. Somebody must admit to it or they wouldn't bother doing it would they?!

Oh... don't get me started on Lord of the Rings by the way... as if the films weren't long enough already!!! Not that I've watched any of them except the first one in the cinema - nearly fell asleep I was so bored... Honestly I don't get it! Now I expect we'll have a thousand people telling me how great these films are!

I can't say I liked T2s extra bits.

The only good one I can think of is the Abyss, but only because Jim Cameron was forced into cutting the running length of the theatrical release by the studio so substatially that the film no longer made any sense.

6. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i'll admit i like the option to watch an extended version of the movie or a director's cut. i still want to have the theatrical version as well in most cases, but its nice to have it as a feature. Also in many cases, such as Hellboy, and YES lord of the rings, the extended versions are much better. In other cases such as The Butterfly Effect or Blade Trinity, the theatrical versions are better. I still like to have the choice though.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Bladerunner "happy ending". :mad:

As for Independence Day, the sick child scenes were a minor distraction vs the crop duster appearing in the final F14 / space ship battle scenes! :eek:

...PJ :)

8. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Extra scenes are generally only worthwhile for the big fans of a film. If the LOTR theatrical versions bored you then the extended editions would do even more so. On the other hand a lot of big LOTR fans find that the extended editions make more sense and flow better. Because of this it's a bit of a shame that DVDs almost never give you the option of watching the original version or the extended version. My $0.02 :cool:

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    yep got to agree. Some directors cuts with extra footage can make the film worse. The recent blade 3 extended edition was worse than the cinema cut, and thats saying something :D

10. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Star Wars.

George :censored: Lucas and his adding bits in :mad:

The only good scene added was in A New Hope when Han and Chewwie are chasing the Stormtroopers and run round the corner finding a batalion of the white-suited-non-plumbing-mo-fos.

11. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand DVD, isn't it possible to make a disc that can play different chapters with different menu clicks? That way you could choose which you want to watch without them having to put 2 versions of the movie on the DVD?

I agree that most of the extra star wars bits are naff and pointless.... The worst has got to be the scene with Jabba and Han Solo - It's almost like they made him walk over Jabba's tail and thought - 'hey isn't it cool we can do that aren't we clever' - and so stuck it in the movie!

12. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Have to agree with Star Wars. The CGI was just cr@p! :(

I'm also don't understand why the movie companies don't put the extended version along with the theatrical version on the same disc and use some chapter jiggery pokery to watch each edition.

13. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try X-men 1.5., I'll admit the 'extra scenes' are optional but they are a disgrace, different aspect ratio, poor picture quality and then the same scene is played almost exactly the same straight after it from the original, pathetic :eek:

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i never quite understood xmen 1.5, cos i have the original xmen dvd and it allows you to watch the branching version in that too..

15. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MARKETING - who'd have it eh?

16. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I guess it could be done, in fact doesn't the R1 version of T2 have such a function?

However there are some other, non-technical issues that probably would apply to the majority of DVDs: not every deleted scene (or rather not-to-be-included scene) will need to be included, e.g. there may be no "director's cut". Further often deleted scenes were already dropped before the mastering, thus resulting in poor quality and/or having time-stamps overlaid. If those scenes were "weaved" into the movie it would be pretty irritating (at best).

17. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I loved the LOTR extended additions, but some of the added scenes made the films worse.
    FOTR EE came out best IMO, but some scenes in ROTK I could have done without!
    Two that spring to mind are the King of the Dead agreeing to and attacking the 'Pirates' (takes away from the desperation and surprise later on) and Eowyn crawling about looking for Merry after killing the Lord of the Nazgul. Her hair is all messed up and she looks close to death, only shortly afterwards to get back to her uncle as he dies (hair now neat) and then crawl off somewhere else to be found by her brother, Eomer, close to death (hair messy again)! Didn't Merry stab the Nazgul lord right infront of her? Must of been hard to find then!! :D

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I loved the extended versions of Lord of the Rings I think it filled in the gaps. I had a LOTR's day recently where I watched all the extended versions back to back. :D

19. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    You want bad added scenes? Try Night of the Living Dead 30th anniversary edition. I don't even want to think about it its so terrible. Google it if you must. Bloody awful new synth soundtrack too.

20. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,903
    What you are referring to called seamless branching and has been used in The Abyss, Independence Day (original release), Alien Quadrilogy and a few others.
    The only problem with seamless branching is that at first alot of dvd players couldnt handle it (The Matrix gave alot of problems back in 1999) and even when the Alien Quadrilogy was released in 2003 there were reports from alot of people about discs freezing up and skipping whole chunks so not even all the players of today can handle seamless branching so its probaley best to stay clear of it until they have got it 100% sorted.

21. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I had this problem with ID4 and The Abyss, I must've swapped both films half a dozen times each.

Are the new versions better?

22. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Apocalypse Now - give me the original cut rather than Redux any day.

23. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,903
    The Abyss hasent been re-released so whether it will work or not is down to your player, it wouldnt work on my old Samsung 709 or PS2 but works fine on my XBOX and Pioneer DV470
    As for Independence Day, the new release with the DTS track only contains the Extended Cut of the film so works like any other DVD.

24. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Being a big fan of the two Bourne films, I held of buying Identity until the SE version came out with a new beginning and ending. Abysmal. Utter guff. The original opening with Bourne waking up floating in the ocean immediately builds intrigue and kickstarts the movie. The new intro is of "dailies" picture quality with equally unfinished sound, is boring, leaves you not remotely caring about Jason Bourne and just plain makes no sense unless you've actually seen the film to know what's going on.

The very fact that they didn't bother to print a final cut quality version of the new top-and-tail scenes should say how much faith they actually had in the value of the content they were adding in... Bought the SE, only watched the "SE" version once and the "standard" cut numerous times now.

If there had to be an award for worst ever added scenes, The Bourne Identity Special Edition would get my vote!

Having said all that, I am a fan of the branching titles such as Abyss, T2 and Aliens; the LOTR Extended Edition trilogy is phenomenal (if totally impractical - can't remember the last time I had 4 hours to watch one film ;)); while the US Director's Cut of Hellboy genuinely does add some good character development to the film (I think) through some subtle additions, all of which are completely finished scenes.

As an aside, was Aliens Director's Cut on VHS the first film to kick off the "Director's Cut"/"Special Edition" thing?

25. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'd say that it was either Aliens or Bladerunner.

26. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I can't believe no one has specifically mentioned the scene in Star Wars IV: A New Hope where George tampers with the scene showing Han Solo shooting Greedo...

Original: Han shoots first, end of scene.
    Re-hash: Greedo shoots first, misses and then Han has justification for shooting our green knobbly friend. :rolleyes:

Poor excuse for an extra scene.

S.

27. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep... I definately like Han better when he shoots first and asks questions later!

28. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    So to clarify, if I buy the special edition with the new beginning and ending, I can still see the original beginning and ending on this disc too?

29. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Absolutely - you can watch the new beginning and ending as a special feature, topped and tailed around the original cut of the film via branching or choose to ignore it altogether sticking to the original cut and believe me, you'll choose to ignore it :thumbsdow I'll double check this tonight and edit the post accordingly but I'm pretty sure it's not the default option, i.e. you specifically have to enable it.

** UPDATE ** Just checked (had to watch the whole film to be sure ;)) and the "extended edition" is an option you pick before the film starts - choose the Extreme Extended Edition or the Theatrical Edition. No really, that's what they call it... TBH, I'm not sure the SE version is the way to go. Play are selling the original release with a DTS soundtrack and director's commentary for £5.99 and it apparently includes the new ending (don't know about the start) as an extra. The SE only includes a DD soundtrack. The other extras on the SE disc are pretty throwaway to be honest - the commentary is probably much more insightful. Either way, still a top film!

30. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Cheers mate!

Just saw the special edition at the weekend for £4.99 and thought I'd check first.