Worst band member change?

mjn

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Your fav band loses a member and replaces them with somebody else, but what has been the worst member change ever?

This can also include member additions.

When Springsteen replaced the E Street Band for a bunch of no hopers in

Bruce Dickinson left Iron Maiden and was replaced by blaze bailey - oh dear
Bruce is back now and all is good
G

Brian Johnson for Bon Scott.

Sick Boy said:
... but they haven't stopped the slide into mediocrity.

Similar thing has happened to Coldplay, now that Paltrow completes their line-up. :rolleyes: What a mistake (though I'm sure her and Martin are happy). :D

genesis got rid of peter gabriel and then replaced him with phil collins, and then replaced him with some unknown scottish dude from stiltskin

inxs killed off thier lead singer and replaced him with a pop idol dude in a vh1 show

TLC are doing the same

queen got rid of freddie mercury and replaced him with paul rodgers

i think queen wins that competition hands down!

eviljohn2 said:
Metallica swapped Jason Newsted for the gorilla guy.

Robert Trujillo is a fantastic bassist. Check out his stuff when he was a member of Suicidal Tendencies(my all time fave band) and Infectious Grooves.:thumbsup:

lovemunkey187 said:
Robert Trujillo is a fantastic bassist. Check out his stuff when he was a member of Suicidal Tendencies(my all time fave band) and Infectious Grooves.:thumbsup:
I know, but he looks like a gorilla and is very hard to take seriously because of it. :D

Van Halen David Lee Roth with Sammy Hagar

Some of them there was no choice Brian Johnson was a good replacement.

Queen should have left it though

Paul Dianno left Iron Maiden and replaced by Bruce Dickinson who turned them into just another heavy metal band....:eek:

Agree on the Genesis one....How about Yes getting rid of Jon Anderson and replacing him with Trevor Horn....although having said that I really like DRAMA.

Queen should have just stopped......

I thought Marillion got a million times better when Fish was replaced with Steve Hogarth....

Arrrrgggghhhh!
Not the Marillion with / without debate again:rotfl:

jeiti said:
Brian Johnson for Bon Scott.

:eek: :eek: :eek: He was voted in by "all" ACDC fans.

Thought he did a good job but certainly not the same voice as Scotty.

The obvious me thinks..... when Pink Floyd tried to be Pink Floyd without Roger Waters.... No replacement as such but David Gilmour then became lead vocals for just about everything and unfortunately without RW's creativity PF just didn't quite cut it. They did well just not very well.

He was voted in by "all" ACDC fans.

Thought he did a good job but certainly not the same voice as Scotty.

Sadly AC/DC not only lost a singer, they lost the best front man ever, a lyrical genius and lost record sales too as after back in black, every record they sold effectively sold less, despite them getting bigger as a band.

Pete.

per-Sony-fied said:
The obvious me thinks..... when Pink Floyd tried to be Pink Floyd without Roger Waters.... No replacement as such but David Gilmour then became lead vocals for just about everything and unfortunately without RW's creativity PF just didn't quite cut it. They did well just not very well.

:smashin: Yeah, I agree.

Sorry but I feel a thread hi-jacking rant coming on here.

Although Dave was generally the main vocalist, old Rog and Rick had their moments with the mic.
Guy Pratt on bass is no substitute (funk slap-bass anyone? :suicide: ), he may be technically acomplished but I've recently been listening to an old Floyd gig (1974) and Roger certainly made his bass heard, with inventive runs everywhere. And that is before I even start on the song writing..... songs written by the wife? it's like Spinal Tap.

I'll stick my neck on the block here and say aMLoR was very poor, and whilst musically the Division Bell had a few decent moments, lyrically it made me cringe (but hey, nice light show :rolleyes: ). I'm with Roger on this one.

Am I the only Floyd nutter who's not looking forward to Dave's new solo album? (even though I'll buy it:rolleyes: )

Rant over (maybe I'll save the rest for another thread).

per-Sony-fied said:

it's not obvious for the reason you stated, no one replaced roger. the band just turned into a steaming pile of crap without him. guy pratt and whoever else played bass werent replacements for roger, just touring musicians

what was worse was that floyd had to have at least one extra band member per instrument. even nick mason didnt even play drums, he was relegated to percussion

even at live 8 they had 2 extra musicians, but it was still the closest thing to floyd in 30 years as they had the surrogate band during the wall tour

unique said:
it's not obvious for the reason you stated, no one replaced roger. the band just turned into a steaming pile of crap without him. guy pratt and whoever else played bass werent replacements for roger, just touring musicians

what was worse was that floyd had to have at least one extra band member per instrument. even nick mason didnt even play drums, he was relegated to percussion

even at live 8 they had 2 extra musicians, but it was still the closest thing to floyd in 30 years as they had the surrogate band during the wall tour

:thumbsup:
:rotfl: :rotfl:
wow, the pseudo-Floyd rebellion starts here!
I'm finding this a bit of a soul cleansing exercise.

To put the thread back on track, Mr Brett left Bad Religion for a couple of albums (He's back now), and the songs went downhill.

huwg said:
:thumbsup:
:rotfl: :rotfl:
wow, the pseudo-Floyd rebellion starts here!
I'm finding this a bit of a soul cleansing exercise.

To put the thread back on track, Mr Brett left Bad Religion for a couple of albums (He's back now), and the songs went downhill.

i wonder why roger didnt write a whiney rant concept album about floyd continuiing without him. or was that what amused to death was about?

I think they both had digs at each other, ("..is that your new ferrari car? nice.." and "Each man has his price Bob, and your's was pretty low" etc..) it's just that Roger's were more musical and lyrically more fun. :)

sorry about the :offtopic:

huwg said:
I think they both had digs at each other, ("..is that your new ferrari car? nice.." and "Each man has his price Bob, and your's was pretty low" etc..) it's just that Roger's were more musical and lyrically more fun. :)

sorry about the :offtopic:

i was meaning more of a full albums ranting, called something like "i hate fatty" :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom