Worrying times for Blu-Ray Importing.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by the id, Feb 11, 2009.

1. the id

the id

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Looks like the economic problems are finally starting to effect the mail order import services of a large percentage of AVForum members favoured sites.

With a combination of pricing and delivery issues we could be be saying goodbye to a select few. :(

Only an observation, take with a pinch of salt. :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. LanceR

LanceR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507

could you give us an idea of which ones?

3. WillieCocker

WillieCocker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Agreed.
    Check the movie sites section on here for feedback.

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,725
    Completely agree. Sad to see some of them go, but I can definitely see a few of the bigger ones disappear this year.

It is now not cost effective to buy from the US due to exchange rate, so to be competitive they must have to cut their margins significantly.

5. the id

the id

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Some will survive but at what cost to the international consumer, will be interesting and disheartening to see how our choices change.

6. 4K UHD Fan

4K UHD Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Most reliable site I have ever used is DVDPacific.com. They are not cheap now because of the exchange rate but when you use their Fed-EX air option (adds an extra £20 or so to the overall cost) and order says 5 movies at once works out around £26 per bluray. You will always get charged customs as well if you exceed the limit but I have ordered around 100 films from them and all have arrived within 3 working days max (from Florida to London) sometimes under 2 days.

Like most things in life you get the service that you pay for. Before all these UK small businesses flaunted the EU law & imported on your behalf it was the norm to pay a lot more for US imports on DVD's & LD's. When a famous Essex based Laserdisc supplier had their stock seized by trading standards that caused the personal imports on your behalf UK cottage industry.

7. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    You say that as though there were something wrong in wanting to get a reasonably priced disc from the US :confused:. AFAIK no on-line company was ever prosecuted for arranging delivery of Region 1 DVDs etc, so I'm not sure why you feel they are "flaunting EU law" :rolleyes: (and if Big Money capitalism can evade paying taxes, why can't joe public save a little on his DVD purchases ?)

8. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not importing anymore. Seems the other way round now to over a year ago where a new release here was £25-£30 here and £15-£18 to import.

UK Pricing is not bad right now. I'm off to Florida in July and probably will buy loads of Blu-Rays out there as pricing is still good for US Consumers but not importers

9. WillieCocker

WillieCocker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    :rolleyes:

10. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,725
    £26 per blu-ray (plus customs)! :eek: Blimey! Not sure the majority here will warrant paying that far over the odds.

11. mikegambit

mikegambit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The Disc Emporium - formerly of Knebworth ,The Cinema Store in St Martins Lane and DVD's in Kings Langley dont seem to have trouble at all stocking and selling R1 dvd's over the counter- very odd

The FACT website also seems to indicate that importing on behalf of someone else for profit is also illegal

12. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm off to Florida for a year in July and if you pay about £26 a disc then i'll happily take over DVDPacific for you.

I'll buy the disc on day of release and post it on the fastest delivery for the UK. You will save loads and i'll make a killing from my time, yet it will still be cheaper than £26 a disc :smashin:

13. the id

the id

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ezy DVD have called in the Administrators. (reported on another thread!)
    I wonder if Movietyme, DVDslimited and DVDWorldUSA can weather the storm or sink...the closures seem to be happening quicker than I initially thought. :(

14. Broadsword

Broadsword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Old news, that happened before Christmas. Although, its not clear if its their stores as the website doesn't seem to have been effected yet.

Plus, the exchange rate is now what it used to be back in 2005 etc. I can't recall their being such a problem back then. Its just that UK pricing is so competetive right now that it needs a freak exchange rate of $2 to £1 for the US to be competitive. Now the freakish rates have gone its no longer affordable in my opinion.

Its good news I think.

15. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,725
    Yes, this is old news. Ezy DVD have been bought as per the other threads. Good news for all fans of Ezy I would imagine.

16. the id

the id

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    One saved, forever the optimist. :)

17. 4K UHD Fan

4K UHD Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I like it as much as you do but the truth is that its illegal for shops to sell Region1/A DVD/BD's as BBFC approve Region2/B only and trading standards could jump on any shop found to be selling imports. They have turned a blind eye for years but a while ago they had a clampdown & stopped several retailers from trading. One high profile company called Laser Enterprises used to be very popular with the HT enthusiasts like us as they offered Laserdiscs & DVDs from the US for reasonable prices. One day someone grassed them up and they had all their stock seized by the Trading Standards then after a protracted court case were forced to close down and cease trading. US DVD importers ruled illegal - ZDNet.co.uk

After this there was a time where it was difficult to find a UK based importer, then gradually small businesses started to offer them again and some even asked you to sign a declaration beforehand that they were personally importing these items on your behalf to cover any legal difficulties. I know there are several shops in the west end openly selling imported items (Tower Records @ Piccadilly Circus used to!!) but its only a matter of time before they get closed down or banned from selling again. This has happened to one well known shop in shaftesbury avenue several times.

18. 4K UHD Fan

4K UHD Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    They are all living on borrowed time: US DVD importers ruled illegal - ZDNet.co.uk
    When Laser Enterprises got wiped out by FACT they used copyright infringment as the reason but AFAIK your not allowed to sell R1 in this country due to no BBFC ratings on them. As stupid as this sounds companies I used to import from became so paranoid about this they started printing out BBFC labels for all the various cetrificates then covering the US certificate on the box!!

19. mikegambit

mikegambit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Laser Enterprises were grassed up long before they sold dvd's.

Your link is referring to a later raid - no doubt another arranged by aggrieved Essex supplier Adrians Video who allegedly was behind the first one too(nice to see they are back just selling records again)
    They were never wiped out or ceased trading and are still operating now as Enterprises dvd.

However - their CS is awful so I stopped buying years ago

But even after they were fined they continued to sell US discs over the counter in the mistaken belief that if the US content was identical to the UK release it was ok

This was also the way The Disc Emporium worked.

It sounds like common sense but of course where Trading Standards and other authorities are concerned common sense is not something they are known for.

I've seen gory horrors in The Cinema Store.

I'd buy them if they didnt cost 200% more than online prices

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  20. mikegambit

mikegambit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Your link is from Jan 2000 - thats a lot of borrowed time

21. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    What a totally absurd situation, companies bullied and harassed for selling DVDs. Everything must be pre-vetted for our sensitive eyes :rolleyes:

Just for the record, their problem with imported DVDs (not from the US in particular) is that the contents haven't been pre-vetted or in some cases censored by the BBFC. If you were to sell a US disc that had exactly the same contents as one rated and sold in the UK, there wouldn't be a problem so long as the packaging was stickered with the ratings. That's my understanding of the situation anyway.

Aren't FACT the people who had a page on their web site discussing pirated laserdiscs? :rotfl:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009