Worrying "TEMP" issue with new AE-8000 / AT-6000

eyeMAJIC

Standard Member
Phew, just had to re-register there: I obviously haven't been on here for a while! Been a member here for about 10 years - PJs all the way - Sony VPL-CS1 (who remembers being wowed by their first SVGA? :D ), Pana AE-500, Mitsubishi HC-3800 and now, the latest addition - a Panasonic AE-8000 (Canadian market model - purchased from the UK).

Have done a bit of Googling on my problem - looks like I may be the first! Heads up everyone!

Unit worked absolutely flawlessly for 9 hours. What a stunning example I had..... Not one defective pixel (I checked them all, as an Optometrist, I am a bit anal about anything concerning optics!), perfect convergence, incredible uniformity of illumination.... Every little thing you could wish for, right on the money. Stunning 3D, and absolutely breathtaking 2D running 1080P 24 on my 106" Stewart. Then it happened.......

The dreaded "TEMP" failure!
Power-up...... everything looks good for 3 seconds...... then the TEMP lamp starts flashing.... fans kick in to high speed for 60 seconds, then shutdown into lockout state with TEMP lamp still flashing. Need to cut the AC to hard reset..... But no matter how long you leave it before trying again...... The same every time, again and again. Lamp doesn't fire up at any point - so the TEMP warning sequence kicking in must cut the whole lamp start-up. Reassuring to protect your lamp - if there is a genuine TEMP issue - alas, not in my case. No LAMP warnings at any time - purely TEMP.

Kept trying for a couple of days...... Every possible intervention taken..... Ambient temp in projection room steady 18 to 22 degrees C (well within published upper operating limit of 40 degrees!)..... Filter clean - brand new obviously, only 6 days for dust to get in there & I'm not that dirty :D
PJ itself is ceiling mounted, fed a conditioned AC supply, with one video-only HDMI feed from Sony BDP-S790.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before with, say, the Panny 4000 which contains a like-for-like chapter in the user manual on the "TEMP" protection cycle?

My guess would be - dodgy thermostat / thermocouple sensor etc. (CPU being signalled that temp is out of range permanently) but I have to say - this is pretty poor form for a brand new model...... Gutted especially as it was pixel and convergence perfect! If there HAVE been a dodgy batch of thermostats (or similar) on early models, I am probably not going to be the only person who has experienced this......

Watch out if you go grey-market: I am lucky and have received instant and immediate support from my vendor who has arranged exchange, so I don't have to wait for my next Canada trip (with a 10kg PJ!) but I suspect there must be plenty dodgy "box shifters" out there who wouldn't want to know once they have your dough.

Any other TEMP problems with AT-6000 / AE-8000 owners?

Early adopters....... Beware...... (as usual!)

eyeMAJIC

Standard Member
Wow - 176 views and no replies - this is reassuring; looks like nobody else has had this problem!

My replacement AE-8000 arrived today, so looking forward to setting it up over the weekend.

Thanks for reading, those who read!

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Glad to hear you have a new one on the way. Did it cost you any extra with the shipping or was it covered by warranty?

Unfortunately it isn't the first 'issue' I've read about the new 8000/6000 though I think yours is unique as it seems to be noise issues, lamp flicker and poor focus/uniformity that I've read about.

MAX1210

Sorry, haven't had any TEMP issues with the 6000 I have access too, which currently has 51-hours on the clock.

eyeMAJIC

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies!

Reassuring to hear my "temp" problem appears to be a one-off.

My USA-based seller has a facility in the UK that handles returns, so just £25 to DHL it down there.
Didn't ask for a refund of that, as they very kindly honoured the price drop of £100 since I purchased the first one 3 weeks ago - without me even asking. Top service, can't recommend them enough.

Fingers crossed for the new unit - it's going up tonight! Will check the usual things before I kill my feeble arms fighting the ceiling mount..... and post back if anything looks worrying.

I have always bought from UK suppliers in the past, but thought I'd have a punt at a North American model after a very disheartening experience with Mitsubishi UK and my faulty HC-3800, which I had to live with in the end, as they kept stating they couldn't replicate the fault (random power-offs every 20-60 minutes when fed 1080 / 24P only - same after 1000 hours, dozens of different cables and 3 different BD players!). Sometimes even UK warranties don't deliver.

Sounds like Epson is the way to go for amazing support, judging by some of the posts on here.

Will be interesting to see what SquareTrade have to say if I ever need to pursue them for their warranty on the AE-8000 - hopefully not.

Thanks again!

eyeMAJIC

Standard Member
Replacement unit up for a few days now, running like a dream at 20+ hours.

Weirdly, 3D seems better than the first unit - and the shutdown cycle is different to my first one too - so there was clearly something WAY wrong with it. No flicker, nice uniform illumination, convergence spot on, all pixels behaving normally - the lot. :thumbsup:

Great service from the original seller - whom I notice is now selling them at £1799 delivered. You pays your money & takes your choice, I guess - so long as it lasts my usual 2-3 years upgrade cycle, I'll be happy. Hopefully Panasonic will help out their UK dealers a bit more by reviewing their regional pricing, as this is a massive difference, even with the relatively strong ££££......

Gregoire

Novice Member
Phew, just had to re-register there: I obviously haven't been on here for a while! Been a member here for about 10 years - PJs all the way - Sony VPL-CS1 (who remembers being wowed by their first SVGA? :D ), Pana AE-500, Mitsubishi HC-3800 and now, the latest addition - a Panasonic AE-8000 (Canadian market model - purchased from the UK).

Have done a bit of Googling on my problem - looks like I may be the first! Heads up everyone!

Unit worked absolutely flawlessly for 9 hours. What a stunning example I had..... Not one defective pixel (I checked them all, as an Optometrist, I am a bit anal about anything concerning optics!), perfect convergence, incredible uniformity of illumination.... Every little thing you could wish for, right on the money. Stunning 3D, and absolutely breathtaking 2D running 1080P 24 on my 106" Stewart. Then it happened.......

Power-up...... everything looks good for 3 seconds...... then the TEMP lamp starts flashing.... fans kick in to high speed for 60 seconds, then shutdown into lockout state with TEMP lamp still flashing. Need to cut the AC to hard reset..... But no matter how long you leave it before trying again...... The same every time, again and again. Lamp doesn't fire up at any point - so the TEMP warning sequence kicking in must cut the whole lamp start-up. Reassuring to protect your lamp - if there is a genuine TEMP issue - alas, not in my case. No LAMP warnings at any time - purely TEMP.

Kept trying for a couple of days...... Every possible intervention taken..... Ambient temp in projection room steady 18 to 22 degrees C (well within published upper operating limit of 40 degrees!)..... Filter clean - brand new obviously, only 6 days for dust to get in there & I'm not that dirty :D
PJ itself is ceiling mounted, fed a conditioned AC supply, with one video-only HDMI feed from Sony BDP-S790.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before with, say, the Panny 4000 which contains a like-for-like chapter in the user manual on the "TEMP" protection cycle?

My guess would be - dodgy thermostat / thermocouple sensor etc. (CPU being signalled that temp is out of range permanently) but I have to say - this is pretty poor form for a brand new model...... Gutted especially as it was pixel and convergence perfect! If there HAVE been a dodgy batch of thermostats (or similar) on early models, I am probably not going to be the only person who has experienced this......

Watch out if you go grey-market: I am lucky and have received instant and immediate support from my vendor who has arranged exchange, so I don't have to wait for my next Canada trip (with a 10kg PJ!) but I suspect there must be plenty dodgy "box shifters" out there who wouldn't want to know once they have your dough.

Early adopters....... Beware...... (as usual!)[/QUOTE

I had the exact same problem...except it happened 18 months after purchase.

Gregoire

Novice Member
Had the dreaded "Temp" issue as well, except my projector is 18 months old. The issue is exactly as you described. Warranty is up, so I'm hoping that the repair cost is not enormous. One other thing to note is that the HDMI 1 port immediately blew a month after purchase. This could be my last Panasonic projector.

-mo-

Standard Member
Sorry to say I've also got the 'TEMP' problem, same symptoms as described above. PJ is 26 months old.
Gregoire - did you get your PJ repaired?

Gregoire

Novice Member
Sorry to say I've also got the 'TEMP' problem, same symptoms as described above. PJ is 26 months old.
Gregoire - did you get your PJ repaired?
The cost to repair it was going to be $1100. I believe it was the "A" board that was fried. I was really upset and complained (a lot), and Panasonic caved in and replaced the projector. The bummer is that while I was waiting for the service shop for a quote (2 weeks), i got impatient had bought another (same model and all). Now I have two projectors. :-(

-mo-

Standard Member
Hi Gregoire and thanks for the quick reply. I suppose that after the repair, the PJ will only be worth the same amount as the repair and therefore not worth doing. Good to hear you got a replacement, even if you now have a 'spare'. I suppose you could try to sell it. Or can you return the one you bought?
Mo

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom