1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worries about the Philips 36PW9607

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jon Weaver, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have had a Sony KV36FS70 for quite a while and had a number o replacements due to faults.

Even when I have had a good set (geometry speaking), I have always had dark patches (like a dirty screen) and it really gets on my nerves.

It seems that this is a common problem on 36" TVs, so Sony arn't alone.

I looked at my friends 36" Toshiba and it too had the dirty screen phenomenon.. However, The Toshiba also has dark bands and light sides which are even more annoying.

It seems that these problems are well know on the Toshiba.

I have had enough of the Sony and its going back.. I am tempted to upgrade to the Philips, based on all of the reviews I have seen.

But I have seen a lot of posts here about 'dirty screen' and 'vertical bars' affecting the Philips too.

I am worried that I am going to 'upgrade' form the Sony, but end up downgrading in terms of picture quality.

How bad are these problem? Based on my apparant intolerance to this kind on problem, am I likely to by displeased by the Philips?

ANY info on this subject would be appreciated

Jon

2. Adrian

Adrian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon,

Have bought a 9607 last month and today I've e-mailed Philips about the following:

SCART problem

4 Scart connectors at the back , 2 only for RGB signal one of which they dedicated to the VCR.
    Normally a DVD and a satellite box would be connected to the RGB inputs, however they dedicated 1 RGB input to the VCR which only leaves 1 RGB free.
    This is a problem as even with a Scart switch box you would still have to make manual adjustments.

VCR problem

Original tapes ( digitally mastered !) show vertical lines on the screen , "rain efffect".
    Programes taped from the TV do not.

Otherwise the picture on the screen is incredibly good. ( TV, DVD, camera)

Adrian

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Adrian,

Can you explain what you mean by "one of which they dedicated to the VCR"

Are you saying that you can't just select AV inputs 1-4 like any other TV.

I understand that it only has 2 RGB inputs, but why would an RGB input be assigned to a VCR when a VCR could NEVER be RGB?

I am probably being thick, but could you explain exactly what you mean.

The VCR problem doesn't worry me too much, as I now have Sky+ and never use the VCR anymore.. Plus, since getting into DVD, I have effectivly thrown away all my pre-recordeds VCR material.

Jon

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    They are referring to S-video. The EXT2 input is the only one (aside from the front jacks) that supports it and therefore makes it the only one reasonably useful for S-VHS VCR's.

D-VHS and DV may output RGB though.

What I think is funny how they put an extra SCART into the top range that only supports composite. I can understand most people have plain VHS VCR's and then a one-way composite-only SCART may make sense. But two?

A few people have two VHS VCR's, one used for their own tapes and one for borrowed/rental tapes. That actually makes sense to me, but out of those few most probably have at least a S-VHS deck for a main. That 4th SCART is practially useless. It is just fluff.

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Sorry.. I am even more confused now.

Adrian is talking about RGB, Zacabeb is talking about S-video!

Are you talking about the TVs capability to OUTPUT video via the SCARTs?

I basically have 3 devices.

1. VCR which only uses the INPUTS to the TV and uses Composite (via SCART)
    2. DVD which is conencted via SCART using RGB
    3. Sky+ which is connected via the DVD SCART Loop-Thru.

I don't currently use S-Video for anything and don't use the TV to output anything via the SCARTS either..

If I had 2xRGB inputs, I would move the DVD and Sky+ to separate inputs.

I would then connect the VCR (composite) to one of the inputs and would expect to have the last SCART input as a spare, capable of accepting S-video or Composite.

You have me worried now. Please try and explain in simple terms.

All the best

Jon

6. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Jon, Looks like you and me are in the same position. Both had a FS70 and both looking for a replacement, ideally 36"

Apart from the scrolling bars on the FS70, I was impressed with all of the features, however it did only have one rgb scart!

I've been looking at scart connections on tv's and the ideal tv is the Loewe. This one has 3 scarts, 2 of them rgb, one of them component, and they all support s-video. It would have been nice to have 4 BUT only if the 4th one was not just for composite, of which the Philips appears to have.

My connections would be sky to rgb, dvd/XBOX/PS2 to rgb and my s-vhs to the other scart. Plus I have the option of component in the future.

Like you I need PAP, PAT etc just like the FS70. Mind you the Loewe has a great feature where you have the main screen showing with a separate samller picture in one of the 4 corners. I like this a lot, plus it has 50:50 PAP and 50:50 PAT (something which the FS70 does not have). It also shows the text and a smaller picture (can be from another channel) just like the FS70.

Downside it is only 32". At the moment I am still undecided. I've done my research and at the moment I am unconvinced about the Philips, for a start it has the panasonic tube plus from what I have read, does not have as many features as the Sony or Loewe.

If you do take the plunge and get the Philips then let me know as I don't want to get my feet wet first, if you see what I mean.

7. Adrian

Adrian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,

In simple terms:

Philips are advising that a VCR connected to Ext2 may be used for the following:
    - direct record from whatever is on the TV screen , inclusive of recording from any device connected to the other Externals.
    Say you want to record on VHS your video-camera movies, you plug your video camera in external FRONT and play it , the VCR will record that.
    External 2 is probably the only Scart able to output signal for the VCR to record.
    - the famous Link business which is a mean on communication between the TV and the VCR, if the VCR is Philips...

I have now settled for the following :

Ext1 ( RGB) = DVD
    Ext2 ( RGB) = digital satellite
    Ext3 ( CVBS) = Playstation
    Ext4 ( CVBS) = Video

To record on video from TV I use the VCR in a normal way ( i.e. it records from the TV channels it is tuned to and not by Scart signal from the TV)
    To record from satellite , I have connected the satellite box and the VCR by Scart cable so again I do not need the TV Scart for it)
    To record from my video camera I use direct connection to the VCR for the time being until I will be able to purchase a DVD writer.
    Hope this helps.Adrian

8. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Adrian,

Just a question but any reason you don't use the RGB passthrough on the Sat box for your PS that way you would get RGB quality on the PS as well?

9. Adrian

Adrian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not know of an RGB passthrough on the sat box !

My box is the Grundig 300 Sky gave me for free when I took the service.

How do you suggest I should do it ? The box has already a scart cable to TV ( Ext 2) and a scart cable to the VCR ..

Adrian

10. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Mr_P.

Its a nightmare isn't it... I love the Sonys Split screen modes.. I never use them (I planned too), I just like the fact that it can do it.

It does worry me that the Philips doesn't have the clever features like this. There is a Panasonic which has a whole host of this kind of stuff, but I vowed I would never buy a Panasonic TV again after my last one.

I really want a Loewe.. That would solve all my problems.. But I REFUSE to have a 32" TV. I want a 36" and won't take anything smaller.

The 40" Loewe is out of the question and as there isn't a 36", there is no way I will have one.

So, the choice is either to live with yet another Sony, or take the plunge and go for something else.

The Philips is currently top of my list. But it still worries my how so many people love it.. But others see the defects.

Unfortuantly, I put myself in the 'fussy' catagory and know that I will see each and every defect!

I have to sort it out soon.. My current Sony has a vertical green line, exactly 1/3 of the way in from the right had side and its driving me nuts!

11. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Well I am going to hang fire for a bit.

My list consists of:

Loewe Aconda 9381
    Loewe Articos
    Some future 36" set.

I do use the split screen and I do like the features on the Loewe but it is only a 32". If Sony had not had the scrolling bar problem and maybe an extra RGB scart then that tv would have done. However with the latest installment of the Sony saga, I am glad that I got my refund and this gives me the choice to take my time and wait for the right set to come out.

However if you can live without a widescreen tv during the summer, then that is what I suggest. It is a minefield out there and that is why I am going to be 100% sure of the next tv set I buy fits all my criteria. My 14" portable which happens to be a Sony!!, bought last year, will have to do for my main viewing in the meantime!! I wouldn't want to rush out and get a tv if I was not 100% sure.

Good luck!

12. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Adrian,

the VCR scart you currently use is the passthrough ie it can receive and export signal, basically if you have the VCR set up on the scart to the TV instead you can record all signals including satellite through the RF in and so not actually use the satellite signal from the scart (as you won't receive RGB on a VCR it is pretty pointless anyway.) So you plug your PS into the back of the satellite then when you use the PS the signal will auto switch (or use the SKY button on the remote), and you will then receive RGB signals direct to EXT 2 or EXT1 whichever the digibox is connected to.

By the way if you have a PS2 you will need to buy a fully connected scart out from the PS2 as the one in the box has these pins removed!!!! Although you can just use a PS1 lead instead which already has RGB pins connected. Trust me you will notice a big difference in RGB from composite on the playstation :D

13. Adrian

Adrian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it works and the PS image is great...many thanks indeed....Adrian