1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Doctor_AB, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I have just ordered an Arcam DV89 as there is a new model and they were being knocked out for £599 ( after reading rave reviews). However I am a bit worried about "layer change". I think i understand it but can anyone explain it a bit more. How much will this spoil my enjoyment. How bad is it on an arcam? Also why do other manufacturers like denon not suffer it? Sorry for so many questions.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Layer change is a slight delay when a dual-layer DVD swaps to the second layer of the disc during a film.

Some manufacturers (like Denon and Pioneer) use buffers to counter the layer change so it is seamless, whereas others (like Sony) aren't so good. It's simply the laser refocusing on the second layer that causes the slight pause.

The most you'll see is around 1/2-1 second, even on a player with a "poor" change, and I personally don't see what all the fuss is about. It does seem to really wind some people up though.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I agree, a one-second delay in the middle of the film is really not a big deal IMO

Some people need to get a life ;)

4. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    right so it doesn't happen throughout the film, just once in the middle. In that case no worries.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It can be more than one second, but even this can be annoying if there are several layer changes ( as sometimes occurs ) or the change is placed inappropriately.

" Some people need to get a life " - No, some people just need realise not everybody is happy to spend more than £200 yet suffer design deficiencies not evident in cheaper players.

There is no reason for Sony , Philips and others to use designs that suffer visible layer changes other than under specifying their machines internal components, it's easily solved by other manufacturers. :cool:

6. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah when it jumps nearly half a chapter :mad:

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I didn't realise that some players really make a hash of layer changes :blush:

My four year old Pioneer 636d only has a one-second pause and that's it. I thought any player released since then would have improved on that performance given my players age. But maybe not...

8. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought myself a Denon player, and even this does it! Not as frequest as others though.