Worried my computer has been hacked...

bluedroog

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was watching Kodi last night on my laptop using a paid subscription service. While I was watching an error message came up saying something along the lines of "you're attempting to watch on more than one device" which isn't allowed on this subscription and the programme went down.

A website came up and I noticed the cursor was moving of its own accord, it definitely wasn't drifting it was quite purposefully moving as if someone else was moving it. Also a downloader bar in the tray showed something installing. I took control of the cursor and closed everything and switched the machine off but am obviously worried A.) someone was able to access my computer in the first place B.) what has been downloaded (if it managed before I got there) and C.) what else might have been compromised.

I'm not particularly computer savvy and would appreciate some advice. What measures can I take to stop this happening again and how can I check to see if any rogue software has made it on to my laptop?

With thanks.

If you are comfortable with someone remoting in from here then maybe a remote desktop session with someone who knows what to look for could be of benefit instead of suggestions to do this, that the other?

I don't mind helping out but it won't be till about 11am?

That is a very kind offer of you, thank you. I do actually have a mate who works in IT and has done things remotely so I'll probably get him to have a look.

Is there anything I can do quickly to check if something is installed which shouldn't be? I'm not sure I'd recognise something as malicious. Worried to turn the machine on.

That is a very kind offer of you, thank you. I do actually have a mate who works in IT and has done things remotely so I'll probably get him to have a look.

Is there anything I can do quickly to check if something is installed which shouldn't be? I'm not sure I'd recognise something as malicious. Worried to turn the machine on.
Personally i'd run virus scan (or install some anti-virus if you haven't got any).

Also run something such as malwarebytes.

You need to get an anti-virus installed asap if you don't have one. There are plenty of free options, I prefer AVG free.

Assuming that you do already have one installed (I don't think many people go online without protection), you need to get it to run a full scan (not a quick one), and ensure that if the virus scanner doesn't update it's database (of what nasties to look for) that you tell it to (there will be an option somewhere to do so).

You'll also benefit from anti malware software and so on, and I'm sure others will advise on that (I don't have any that I use).

If you're using Windows 10 it should have plenty of security stuff running in the background by default, just check you've not disabled anything you shouldn't have.

I was watching Kodi last night on my laptop using a paid subscription service. While I was watching an error message came up saying something along the lines of "you're attempting to watch on more than one device" which isn't allowed on this subscription and the programme went down.

A website came up and I noticed the cursor was moving of its own accord, it definitely wasn't drifting it was quite purposefully moving as if someone else was moving it. Also a downloader bar in the tray showed something installing. I took control of the cursor and closed everything and switched the machine off but am obviously worried A.) someone was able to access my computer in the first place B.) what has been downloaded (if it managed before I got there) and C.) what else might have been compromised.

I'm not particularly computer savvy and would appreciate some advice. What measures can I take to stop this happening again and how can I check to see if any rogue software has made it on to my laptop?

With thanks.

6 months ago, I had my Team Viewer hacked. If you use TV, set up 2 step immediately.

The hacker was able to take control of my PC and started buying stuff from Amazon as my browser was already logged in to many websites. Luckily I noticed pretty quickly and was able to cancel the orders.

Like @Bioshock174 says, install and run MalwareBytes - it's pretty good, I also use CCleaner to clear up the temp files.

If it's a Windows machine post a screen of the processors currently running so we can see if there's anything unusual running.

Have you had a look at Event Viewer to see if there's anything suspect there? Alternatively have a look at Programmes and sort by installed date.

All good suggestions above, however I would add it's probably worth disconnecting the network cable/wireless network first before powering the machine back on. If something has been installed on it without your knowledge then you're at least stopping it going online (or someone else remoting in) without first running the scans and clean-up procedures first.

If you've got access to another PC/laptop then download Malwarebytes (the free version is absolutely fine) and CCleaner (also free) on that and save it to a memory stick. Install it on the suspect machine via the memory stick (after you've disconnected it from the Internet).

Run CCleaner first to clear out all your temp areas otherwise the Malwarebytes scan can take a lot longer to run. Next run Malwarebytes and see what that picks up, if anything. You get the option to delete anything it finds once it completes. Finally run a full scan with your anti-virus software.

Whilst not exhaustive, this should check and eliminate the vast majority of possible issues straightaway. You can then connect it back to the Internet and see how things look. By all means ask any more questions though, or post screenshots if you've got concerns about anything.

6 months ago, I had my Team Viewer hacked. If you use TV, set up 2 step immediately.

The hacker was able to take control of my PC and started buying stuff from Amazon as my browser was already logged in to many websites. Luckily I noticed pretty quickly and was able to cancel the orders.

Change your password too, if you haven't.

Thanks guys. I ran the malware bytes as suggested, came up with 185 items I removed, I've no idea if that is many or not or how malicious they were but it was reassuring.

Any suggestions on stopping this happening again while watching Kodi over and above beefing up my antivirus?

Thanks again all, GC to the rescue as usual!

185, that's horrible!

Format the drive then re-install your OS and restore your data from known good backup... it's the only way you'll know you've got everything.

Then stop using dodgy plugins and services that cannot be discussed here.

Using Kodi for legitimate purposes is perfectly acceptable... I assume bluedroog wasn't daft enough to post he was accessing a paid for subscription service without paying for it?

As for 185, it rather depends on whether it was malware, or non-malware that malware picked up.

185, that's horrible!

Format the drive then re-install your OS and restore your data from known good backup... it's the only way you'll know you've got everything.

Then stop using dodgy plugins and services that cannot be discussed here.

Was coming in here to suggest this exact same thing.

I am extremely careful and for my AV+FW I use Kaspersky (Free if you bank with Barclays) and Malwarebytes and run a scan minimum once a week and if I had encountered anything like the OP mentioned I would not hesitate to wipe the drive and start over whilst installing AV+Malwarebytes after I had the initial drivers installed.

I have Drivers / Software on the USB I use to install windows so it can all be done whilst offline if needed.

If you want peace of mind then wipe the drive and reinstall Windows would be my suggestion.

Edit
Cannot comment on the plugin comment made by Kev but the results of the scan are very concerning.

As for 185, it rather depends on whether it was malware, or non-malware that malware picked up.

Even on a 3 year old OS I never got close to 100 let alone nearly hitting 200.

Did you use Kodi on it? :D

Thanks, I was wondering whether he had got so much because he had gone somewhere slightly dubious.

I've seen mention of kodi addons containing malware that sniff around your network.

Might be an idea to have a dedicated android box with kodi on or a firestick or similar that you can run on a different network.

A lot of routers can run 2 networks. Mine has a 2.4ghz and a 5ghz and I can set up additional guest SSIDs to keep visitors off my main network.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom