Worried about going OLED......

Gino48

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas. :D

Looking to purchase a new tv soon and really love the amazing black levels an oled tv can display.

My biggest concern is obviously burn in/image retention regarding widescreen bars from movies. I've read so many posts online and some say black bars won't affect the tv and others mention that because the bars are black, that means the pixels are off and the middle section will burn out more resulting in the top and bottom parts of the screen to be brighter than the middle down the road.

Can someone assure me that this is true or is this just Oled haters saying this stuff? I'd be using my tv mainly for 1080p bluray disc movies and 4k discs (as well as streaming). I'm a gamer but not someone who plays like 10 hours a day. I usually game 1-2 hours a day and some days don't even turn on my Xbox One or PS4.

I'd love to hear back from someone who's owned any oled for a number of years who watches lots of widescreen movies to give me some concrete evidence. This can even be 4:3 tv shows with bars on the left and right.

Before I jump in and start looking at an Oled, I have to know for sure before I spend close to $3,000 on a set. I've seen the black levels on a Q90T (which is one of Samsung's top of the line set) and it still looks grey to me.

So, please feel free to share your experiences with me. I'd love to hear that widescreen bars won't hurt the tv. I'd obviously be switching up content and not watch movie after movie all day long.

Also, I've heard Sony OLED's are the best but I think they're a bit out of my price range. Any suggestions on models that are a tad more affordable?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Be incredibly worried, till the point your hair falls out and you have a nervous breakdown.

The Panasonic's are the best for picture quality. LG have good picture but one of the better menu systems. Panasonic have very basic menu...I don't have problem with that as once it's setup don't go into menu anyway.

Sony have android os, which I wouldn't want on a TV. Although that means you can load Kodi, which saves getting a dedicated box.

I went for LG c9 as it was several hundred pounds less than the gz950 (Panasonic I think £500 more) the built in media player is pretty good, bit it does have a few of problems not playing certain video files.

Once you go black, there’s no going back..... at least that is my experience.

Panasonic OLED's are generally regarded as the best for movies etc but are not that available in the US but maybe OK in Canada.

Hey fellas. :D

Looking to purchase a new tv soon and really love the amazing black levels an oled tv can display.

My biggest concern is obviously burn in/image retention regarding widescreen bars from movies. I've read so many posts online and some say black bars won't affect the tv and others mention that because the bars are black, that means the pixels are off and the middle section will burn out more resulting in the top and bottom parts of the screen to be brighter than the middle down the road.

Can someone assure me that this is true or is this just Oled haters saying this stuff? I'd be using my tv mainly for 1080p bluray disc movies and 4k discs (as well as streaming). I'm a gamer but not someone who plays like 10 hours a day. I usually game 1-2 hours a day and some days don't even turn on my Xbox One or PS4.

I'd love to hear back from someone who's owned any oled for a number of years who watches lots of widescreen movies to give me some concrete evidence. This can even be 4:3 tv shows with bars on the left and right.

Before I jump in and start looking at an Oled, I have to know for sure before I spend close to $3,000 on a set. I've seen the black levels on a Q90T (which is one of Samsung's top of the line set) and it still looks grey to me.

So, please feel free to share your experiences with me. I'd love to hear that widescreen bars won't hurt the tv. I'd obviously be switching up content and not watch movie after movie all day long.

Also, I've heard Sony OLED's are the best but I think they're a bit out of my price range. Any suggestions on models that are a tad more affordable?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

i work with tv's and there is absolutely no doubt that a massive number of oleds do get screen burn if bright banners and logos are ran in a lot, as much as i adore the pciture quality.

What i would say is, among all the returns of faulty burn in ones , even the most extreme, i have never ever seen one with black burs burned in.

have seen radio station logos, channel tiicker tapes,. youtube logos and so on many many times, but never the black bars.

My own oled from, 2016 is just getting freeview play and youtube logos v v slightly burned into top of screen only visible on red backdrop, but wont ditch it as its 3d.

LG make all the panels, for pana, sony and lg oleds.

So id say check which brand comes with what warranty (sony do 5 years in uk, )
and go with which brand has the best assurances

Thanks for the info danspree. :smashin:

As much as I'd love to go Oled, I'm still not ready to dive in spending nearly $3,000 on a 65" tv when they're still a chance of burn in. I realize I can buy a 55" for around $2,300 but I'm really looking for a bigger size.

I just don't feel confident enough to chance it at that price range. If I could get an Oled for $1,000 then I'd be more willing to risk it.

As much as the 2020 models do a better job protecting the panel, it's still possible and I just don't feel it's worth taking that chance. I don't wanna "baby" the tv and that's exactly what oled owners need to do. Don't think as an owner you should be working at it. Tv's should be enjoyable....not full of worry and dread everytime I boot it up.

I'm eyeing a Q80T or a X950H / X900H.
Just feel safer going that route even though blooming, clouding or uniformity may occur. I'd rather deal with those than destroy my tv with permanent burn in.

It's funny how no oled manufacturer states the burn in disclaimer on the box. I feel they're deliberately hiding this even though most know about it. So until the tech changes in favor of consumers, I'll stick with an LCD tv dispite the caveats.

Thanks for the info danspree. :smashin:

As much as I'd love to go Oled, I'm still not ready to dive in spending nearly $3,000 on a 65" tv when they're still a chance of burn in. I realize I can buy a 55" for around $2,300 but I'm really looking for a bigger size.

I just don't feel confident enough to chance it at that price range. If I could get an Oled for $1,000 then I'd be more willing to risk it.

As much as the 2020 models do a better job protecting the panel, it's still possible and I just don't feel it's worth taking that chance. I don't wanna "baby" the tv and that's exactly what oled owners need to do. Don't think as an owner you should be working at it. Tv's should be enjoyable....not full of worry and dread everytime I boot it up.

I'm eyeing a Q80T or a X950H / X900H.
Just feel safer going that route even though blooming, clouding or uniformity may occur. I'd rather deal with those than destroy my tv with permanent burn in.

It's funny how no oled manufacturer states the burn in disclaimer on the box. I feel they're deliberately hiding this even though most know about it. So until the tech changes in favor of consumers, I'll stick with an LCD tv dispite the caveats.

I'm on my 2nd OLED and haven't "babied" either of them. I don't game, (which apparently helps), and I don't have Sky. I just watch films and "regular" TV. I can't be the only person in the world that uses their TV in this way, surely???
It seems to me that you were very much an "anti" before your initial post.
You wanted confirmation before you started looking at OLED's but despite positive comments have made up your mind within two days.

Just upgraded my Panny EZ952 which I think I had for 3 years. I do play some games and I do have Sky, and it was like new when I passed it on to the In-laws. No concerns at all in replacing it with another OLED (Panny again)

If you're watching movies then get oled...why would you be concerned with SB with movies is a bit baffling

If you're watching movies then get oled...why would you be concerned with SB with movies is a bit baffling
Because of the uneven wear you get if you have a LOT of time with wider than 16:9 content and therefore black bars. It's not a real world concern though imho.

I use my current Sony 46W905 mainly for gaming and tend to play the same game for a long period of time before playing something different, so OLED concerns me with the amount of hours fixed HUD elements are on display.

Because of the uneven wear you get if you have a LOT of time with wider than 16:9 content and therefore black bars. It's not a real world concern though imho.

I had that on plasma but that was over quite a long while

Interesting. Which TV was that?

Pioneer kuro. Noticed it on 4:3 but can notice the difference on 2:35 as mostly used for movies and don't stretch it. So over hundreds and hundreds of movies...

I have a Samsung lcd & Panasonic OLED. I use the OLED for normal tv watching & movies only. I do not watch ANY of the following on my OLED

Sports of any kind. If I did I’d zoom out the static content ie scores etc.
Anything with subtitles
News channels
Sports news channels
Gaming
Netflix
You Tube

I also mix up my movie watching. I watch the odd film with black bars on my OLED, but mostly I’ll watch on my Samsung. I notice that even adverts during tv shows are starting to have black bars now.

For HDR, I treat myself to one film a week on the OLED & without black bars if possible.

It’s just my opinion but I would never ever have an OLED as a “normal” tv. I’d budget for a cheap lcd as well & babysit the OLED.

I am always nervous about my OLED and burn-in. Wife is watching iPlayer with BBC logo on the top left corner remaining in place for 2-3 hours every day. When I asked her to be careful she questioned why buy an OLED again and behave like a civil enforcement officer lol.

Anything with subtitles

Woah now - this really is limiting the uses of OLED isn't it? I am thinking of going OLED from a Panny 4k on black friday. I basically watch about 250 films a year - around 70% of which are subtitled.

I also watch around 3 or 4 sports matches a week on the usual big name sports channels in the UK.

Are you seriously saying that because of this I should reconsider getting an OLED?

Woah now - this really is limiting the uses of OLED isn't it? I am thinking of going OLED from a Panny 4k on black friday. I basically watch about 250 films a year - around 70% of which are subtitled.

I also watch around 3 or 4 sports matches a week on the usual big name sports channels in the UK.

Are you seriously saying that because of this I should reconsider getting an OLED?

I'd say his usage is at the extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to being 'mindful'.

Burn-in is clearly a thing, but i feel it's hugely overblown. This forum is bound to have a disproportionate amount of posts from people suffering from it. It's easy to overlook the vast, vast number of oled consumers who dont have problems. Many of those who DO are going to be all over the forums...therefore giving the impression that it's a common issue.

Its just about common sense I think. Don't leave an image paused onscreen for hours basically. To evem imply that watching the ocassional subtitled film is risky is just a reflection of the user's paranoia, not the issue itself...

I'd say his usage is at the extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to being 'mindful'.

Burn-in is clearly a thing, but i feel it's hugely overblown. This forum is bound to have a disproportionate amount of posts from people suffering from it. It's easy to overlook the vast, vast number of oled consumers who dont have problems. Many of those who DO are going to be all over the forums...therefore giving the impression that it's a common issue.

Its just about common sense I think. Don't leave an image paused onscreen for hours basically. To evem imply that watching the ocassional subtitled film is risky is just a reflection of the user's paranoia, not the issue itself...

Well that's a relief. As a UK buyer - is it best to go with JL or Richer sounds? Both have a 5 or 6 year warranty. John Lewis also do the £140 home damage thing I think which I might take up due mainly to having a 4 year old around the house.

Well that's a relief. As a UK buyer - is it best to go with JL or Richer sounds? Both have a 5 or 6 year warranty. John Lewis also do the £140 home damage thing I think which I might take up due mainly to having a 4 year old around the house.

Ha, I'd definitely recommend that home damage cover, absolutely. Four year olds and OLEDs are a pretty dicey combo.. .

I got my OLED from Crampton & Moore, but I've heard good things about JL and RS, more so the latter to be honest. I'd probably go as far to say 'much of a muchness'. Both very reputable companies ultimately.

As a brief aside, that reminds me, I spoke with the manager of my local Crampton & Moore about burn in last year sometime. He said they'd not had a single customer complain about it. Obviously,, I'm not trying to say it can't exist, but its remarkable how forum talk compares with real world experience, if you know what I mean.

Almost like if you judged the state of humanity on the basis of Twitter alone, you'd probably jump off the nearest bridge. Step outside however and you realisie it's simply a vocal minority. I think there are similarities here...

Best of luck anyway 👍

That’s why I now buy from JL with burn in insurance. I think panel variation has a lot to do with it. My C8 got battered with Sky News and Sky Sports News but never even had a hint of retention let alone burn in and that was calibrated over 700 nits.

My AG9 was only a couple of days old when it started getting visible retention.

Do I think all AG9’s get it? Nope, I think luck of draw which isn’t really ideal so I get the OP’s point of view.

Thanks for your input fellas.

After watching this clip, I've decided it's not worth the risk when the x900h comes this close to LG's cx OLED.

After watching that, why would I risk burn in and pay double the price??? A 65" cx goes for $3200 and a 65" x900h is $1699.

Nuff said.

Thanks for your input fellas.

After watching this clip, I've decided it's not worth the risk when the x900h comes this close to LG's cx OLED.

After watching that, why would I risk burn in and pay double the price??? A 65" cx goes for $3200 and a 65" x900h is $1699.

Nuff said.

Very sensible, I probably need to think like you!

I am going for a 65” HZ2000 over £3k when the lovely looking LG GX is over £500 cheaper!

But then it’s the reason I always strove to have a KRP 500A, even though I had a LX 5090!

I have a Samsung lcd & Panasonic OLED. I use the OLED for normal tv watching & movies only. I do not watch ANY of the following on my OLED

Anything with subtitles
News channels
Sports news channels
Gaming
Netflix
You Tube

I also mix up my movie watching. I watch the odd film with black bars on my OLED, but mostly I’ll watch on my Samsung. I notice that even adverts during tv shows are starting to have black bars now.

For HDR, I treat myself to one film a week on the OLED & without black bars if possible.

It’s just my opinion but I would never ever have an OLED as a “normal” tv. I’d budget for a cheap lcd as well & babysit the OLED.
Not trying to be funny but I didn’t do any of that stuff (no Netflix?!) and my OLED was fine after 3 years. I think you might be erring just a tad on the side of over-cautious there.

Pioneer kuro. Noticed it on 4:3 but can notice the difference on 2:35 as mostly used for movies and don't stretch it. So over hundreds and hundreds of movies...
Yeah I thought it might have been. Heard of that happening on Kuros but only after a very long time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom