1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wormeries and Composters

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stevegreen, Sep 24, 2005.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    In an effort to become a little more 'green' we have decided to get ourselves both a wormery and a composter as well as seperating as much rubbish as we can for recycling. Our Local Council (Telford and Wrekin) are just rolling out a programme of issuing each household with two wheelie bins, one for general rubbish and another for glass etc but this doesn't really go far enough.

Does anyone else use wormeries or composters, any tips, advice etc etc?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    A mate of mine is just about to get a composter from our local council so I'll let you know how he gets on with it.

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Steve, put a wormerie in an area where the smell won't effect you. They are really great (my uncle has one) and they produce excellent fertiliser, but they can whiff a tad! ;) You can bung anything organic in there as well. Within reason of course............ :D Composters you can put large amounts of green waste in such as grass cuttings, old plants, and veg. I would stick the old tea on there as well. If you drink tea, and use teabags split them open. Tea really breaks down quickly, and is excellent in compost.

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    :laugh: I think I will stick it next to the neighbours fence then if it smells, keeps the kids inside so we can have some peace in our back garden :laugh:

5. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Another useful tip from avforums :thumbsup:

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    We've been green for 12 years - we have our own cess pit. You can't get greener than that - or at least until the local council puts a sewer pipe down our road and forces us to connect up (new EU directive :thumbsdow )

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    What's green about a cess pit? :confused: It gets emptied by the counc..... sorry the waste collection people, and dumped into the sewage system same as everyone elses. The flaming things are foul. :mad:

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,105
    A cess pit isn't the same as a septic tank which is just that, a big pot that needs emptying. I think that in a cess pit the liquid seeps back into the ground and much of the solids break down, leaving relatively little to be disposed of. I'm sure Nick will confirm/deny this. Whether having your waste seep into the ground is green is another matter :)

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's correct. Our "cess pit" is actually two holding tanks, one holding solid material which is broken down by bacteria, and the second tank is for liquids. The liquids flow through the solids tank, keeping it flushed. This type of tank only needs emptying every 10 to 15 years, to clean out solids which can't be broken down. The liquid is allowed to drain out into a drainage ditch. Since a cess pit works in exactly the same way as a composter, it is every bit as green. What would be really neat is if we could harvest the methane that is generated.

Also, because products like Domestos would kill the bacteria in our cess pit stone dead, we are much more environmentally aware about what we put down our drains, unlike the average household, who flush everything from garden soil to white spirit down their drains :rolleyes:

10. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Blimey, that's flash nick! :eek: Our old cesspit was single tank, brick lined, and had to be emptied once very 18 months to two years! Arr' things be better than back in them's days.......... :D

I can see why you'd be hacked off with being on the mains now. :)