WORLDWIDE CRT PROJECTOR SHOOTOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
With projectors like these one gets picky with digital TVs too.. I'm watching Tour the France in SD on my new OLED.. and it looks like sh*t! All my channels are free, and comes with the rent.. so looking for a vendor who can give me HD. It looks like I will have to pay 33$ to get them all in HD. Sucks, but there is no way I am putting up with SD anymore. It worked on the 32 inch CRT TV but this.. no.

But the blacks is incredible! Everything black is pitch black. I need too, for first time, calibrate my TV as the green forrest on Tour the France is overwhelmingly green. It way to much.
The blacks were extremly soft with the mp boards

Just found out from Voldwrmort that my Mp neck boards not only could not focus but the tracking was way off and 7ftl. Digging my stock neck boards :)

I like how this image came out.. specially if you blow it up.. its smooth and well detailed, oposit the cell phone shots.

See you even run the sharpness setting on the camera on low/ soft.. The CCD sensors are a bit soft, so i find it a bit more neutral if sharpness is adjusted 1 or 2 clicks up.

Nice to see a screenshot from a good camera again.

_DSC0007.JPG

Nice to see someone new in the thread.. Welcome.

Any story to share about your gear used, projector videochain, and camera.?

_DSC0036%202_zps0jro9urd.jpg

_DSC0021%202_zpsy6t6lokn.jpg

these need some work
_DSC0001%202_zpsgw2y4qsq.jpg
_DSC0007%202_zps7jnzdfsv.jpg

:smoke:
_DSC0007%202_zpsk023bewz.jpg
_DSC0015%202_zpsc4jfxq9c.jpg
_DSC0012%202_zpswymyzlnn.jpg
_DSC0017%202_zpsyyeasrhl.jpg
Peace out

Just picked up the Great Gatsby bluray 5.00 I am coming for you Wolfman

Oh cool! Finally I get to see how that girl looks like on your end. You saving that for the meet or do I get to see it sooner?

I too have a few tricks up my sleeve but that's for later. But thumbs up on that one!

Last edited:
handheld
_DSC0025%202_zps89cypfch.jpg

_DSC0001_zpsr6ieuul0.jpg
these have been htpc going and long retrace

These last 10 shots look like vhs compared to my 35.00 bluray player and short retrace. Htpc and madVr is a joke can't wait to kick this up a few notches before the Meet. The question is I roll with stock neck cards or the new ones. As I see it these will take down the 4K JVC without breaking a sweat. So Wolfman I will post some Gatsby so you can gage your Mp neck boards vs stock. I know my vim is the cleanest Kurt has seen. So there is actually very little that needs to be done to the stock boards to clean them up and maintain light output. 110" screen over 9ftl is a must with lugs otherwise the movie just falls apart.
So coming up Oppo 103d new lvps mod,glycol change, and neckcards.

That's good that you will post stand alone bluray screenshots and from my favorite movie.

As I said before, looking forward to see all you can show at the meet, and have you say it, so I can say the same with having the optics as good as it can be, and magnets twirled til there's nothing left of them.

And I looked at Baraka on my OLED, feed from my Panasonic stand alone bluray player, so I know how 60Hz finally looks like, and short of jawdropping image. Where he rides a motorcycle, with the girl on the back, looks so damn clean and fluid like is a sight to behold. The natural blacks from an OLED ads to the final image as well. So I know that stand alone blurays looks very good, but I'm not overly convinced they are superior over PC at this point. It's good but not that fudgeing good, my MP CRT throws an impressive image too!

Some day I will run both OLED and the pj at the same time to see how close or far apart they are. But there's no way in hell I would say that my OLED, digital as it is, looks terrible next to an analog CRT finely tuned. In fact I think digital looks very fine indeed, but so does my CRT pj, just not all the way when it comes to sharpness. But no one said it should, especially 100 inch width compared to a 55 inch diagonal TV.

How ever, I will use my OLED to get pointers if I really need to run my movies with burnet blurays on my Panasonic at 60hz - or settle with having them on HDD like before. Good times ahead to figure that one out, but you seem sure you made the right call with a stand alone.

So you have the Panasonic 4k player?

No just a normal Panasonic DMP-BDT460 player. I haven't run it on a fully working CRT pj yet, so that is still under determination. Just PC @ 72hz for me so far.. and OPPO 103D, but this looks much like I remembered it from the Oppo on CRT. So as of now, stand alone bluray is better than PC, but have yet to make a true comparison, but will use the dual HDMI output on the Pana to make a screenies and to get the feel of it. Oppo on my pj looked freakin good too, but that was a long time ago, and you know how memory get's deteriorated after a while.

Bit depth is so much better with stand alone player as well as color saturation. Have you played a movie thru a hard drive into the oppo? I hear it's suppose to be better than pc but I don't know could you test that just curious.

Yes, that is what I wanted to do. Feed Oppo PC signals, but only US Oppo 103 can be modified to accept HDDs without interruptions from Cinavia, so I sent my EU based Oppo back.

But seeing how well my Pana looks like on the OLED, I'm starting to question the higher valued Oppo has over any fairly valued stand alone bluray player. If it mean less, well then you could buy an used Oppo 93/95 instead.

IF it has not been firmware upgraded and ruined for you. Expensive, but then you would get, at least 2tb worth of HDD movies, it could be it was 4tb, but quite sure it was only 2tb it supports. It doesn't matter, I have an 8tb HDD + a 2tb HDD.. if I wanted to, I could, once I settled for a movie I wanted to see, moved it from C:/ to B:/ and still get 10tb worth of movies to play via Oppo. You should try Cinavia-free Oppo on Ebay and you shoud be good to go I guess.

Yes, that is what I wanted to do. Feed Oppo PC signals, but only US Oppo 103 can be modified to accept HDDs without interruptions from Cinavia, so I sent my EU based Oppo back.

But seeing how well my Pana looks like on the OLED, I'm starting to question the higher valued Oppo has over any fairly valued stand alone bluray player. If it mean less, well then you could buy an used Oppo 93/95 instead.

IF it has not been firmware upgraded and ruined for you. Expensive, but then you would get, at least 2tb worth of HDD movies, it could be it was 4tb, but quite sure it was only 2tb it supports. It doesn't matter, I have an 8tb HDD + a 2tb HDD.. if I wanted to, I could, once I settled for a movie I wanted to see, moved it from C:/ to B:/ and still get 10tb worth of movies to play via Oppo. You should try Cinavia-free Oppo on Ebay and you shoud be good to go I guess.
This has been a long process to figure out my understanding of the movies are just by them selves and in no folders they would play and 103D supports 8tb drive. So I need the oppo for my off air hdtv tuner and Htpc and hard drives like a full media hub. I agree with you my 35.00 player looks amazing I sometimes wonder if simpler is better than all the gizmos and enhancements?

Btw, why are you pissing on my turf saying long retrace are shit? What proof do you have that ring-crazed short retrace looks better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom