Not open for further replies.

greg9518lc

Established Member
Reaction score
idB5w1v.jpg

Kurt Stridevogen 9500 Marquee is the winner<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

DSCF0217.JPG
DSCF0212.JPG

Welcome to the Sony,Barco,VDC,Marquee crt projector shootout and this will run until March 25th,2025. The rules are simple capture what you got and post it of your crt projector. Stealing
other peoples shots or using photoshop will be frowned upon. The last week post your top 5 shots and a winner will be declared. Please pm me your info like I listed and will add you to the shootout.

1. Greg9518lc LUG Tubes ,OPPO 103d playback and my last 5 shots March 25th,2025 will be Full Bluray Discs. Camera it's a Fuji.

2.Stridsvogen VDC Marquee 9553LC Ultra, Moome V3 , OPPO 83/ 103D, no bit limiting processing. Pentax K-10 and 35MM prime

3. Wolfman he is back better than ever. 9" VDC htpc and samsung camera

Last edited:
Do people still use CRT?

Well crt is still relevant and lots of people still enjoy the hobby of video. I'm an enthusiast that still likes the analog picture or phosphor of crts. Crt has had major improvements these last 5 years and are alot of great machines out there still in operation. As far as the judge of this shootout the pictures will speak for them selves The last week we will all post our 5 best and was thinking we all choose a crt legend to decide. I was thinking Art Sonnebon fro AVS or Clearence. If you want in pm me and will add you to the list. We are all proud of the hard work and passion to make these dinosaur look good and its time to see what crts are all about.
Do people still use CRT?

A picture shootout? How can you judge a CRT from a picture?
And you are the judge?

@LV426 - should this be put to AVF first?
Greg - at best this is bad mannered to join AVF purely to strat some competition.

Is this 1995 or 2015?

Out of interest do any CRT PJ's come with HDMI or are they stuck with Component outs?

Crt has had major improvements these last 5 years and are alot of great machines out there still in operation.

I liked this part the best.:clap:

Out of interest do any CRT PJ's come with HDMI or are they stuck with Component outs?
Yes moomee hdmi imput cards are availible

Ooh I still yearn for that black which is just the absence of any light what-so-ever. This is stunning and I'm still waiting for it. Does it exist?

I would suggest that you use a better source to take the picture and also use something like Flickr to link to the original image

Ill try to find out how to operate my Pentax K3

VDC Marquee 9553LC Ultra, Moome V3, OPPO 83/ 103D, no bit limiting processing.

First 2 pics, free hand with cell phone, from same projector, the good old and the bad new transfer of the fifth element.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you use a better source to take the picture and also use something like Flickr to link to the original image
I think I will do just that at the end of the shootout. Just getting warmed up here with my low rez files and Samsung cell phone. Mp V3 mods VDC 9518LC Ultra calibrated by Stridsvogen.

Ill try to find out how to operate my Pentax K3

VDC Marquee 9553LC Ultra, Moome V3 MP mods, OPPO 83/ 103D, no bit limiting processing.

First 2 pics, free hand with cell phone, from same projector, the good old and the bad new transfer of the fifth element.
No hurry on the better camera but agree the transfer in the Fifth Element are different on our projectors and deleted the new version as it is not worthy of hard drive space.

I find this thread pretty pointless; firstly there are very few members on these forums who still use CRT; secondly a photo of a screenshot cannot reliably or accurately replicate what the eye sees!

I'll come back to this thread once I've mulled over whether it has a place on these forums or not.
Probably better placed on a US based forum!

I sold our house in 2011 on the condition that we left the home cinema in there, so the Barco 1209 is still working in that home cinema as far as I know.
I would have upgraded it by now to a JVC if it were mine just to 1080p support. 720p was as far as it went.
My Dad dismantled his Barco 709 when he moved his flight simulator downstairs. All the bits are up there in the attic.
I did like the natural picture of CRT projectors.

There is alot of people still in Europe that claim there crt is better. Interesting they dont want to post as it was thewolfmans idea to do this. So I guess my 4 gig file is king

I liked this part the best.:clap:
A respectful forum member would not make false claims about advancement in crt technology. Also a screen shot shows if your image has realism,depth of field and life like.

I sold our house in 2011 on the condition that we left the home cinema in there, so the Barco 1209 is still working in that home cinema as far as I know.
I would have upgraded it by now to a JVC if it were mine just to 1080p support. 720p was as far as it went.
My Dad dismantled his Barco 709 when he moved his flight simulator downstairs. All the bits are up there in the attic.
I did like the natural picture of CRT projectors.
If you like the natural image from a Barco 1209, then you have to see a new 9" CRT.
Today we have CRT with HDMI input and fully 1080P 72hz capable.
We cant beat the MTF or ansi contrast on a new digital, but we are capable of displaying better bit resolution, and mostly have a better response to bandwidth and gain.
All thanks to no image processor and the way of the CRT tubes.

I have a JVC and a SONY digital, and they dont get any use, and Greg sold his JVC X500 to get a Marquee, i know others who have new JVC hanging together with a CRT, and never use the digital. There are more CRT users around europe than you think, most just dont tell about it as there is usually a lot of negative bashing from the digital owners, just look at some of the comments already posted here.

Last edited:
If you like the natural image from a Barco 709, then you have to see a new 9" CRT.
Today we have CRT with HDMI input and fully 1080P 72hz capable.
We cant beat the MTF or ansi contrast on a new digital, but we are capable of displaying better bit resolution, and mostly have a better response to bandwidth and gain.
All thanks to no image processor and the way of the CRT tubes.
How much do they cost, though?

How much do they cost, though?

9" CRT can be had from free.
I bought 7pcs of VDC Marquee 9500 in Texas for 450$ and we found a brand new one build in 2011 for Greg in Ohio for 1000$.
The most expensive is the traveling, but it is kind of interesting to meet others around the world.
I live in Denmark.

IMGP0224.JPG
Here is a older shot from my Pentax, ill have to get it on a tripod, and buy a remote trigger.

1080P 72hz 178Mhz

Last edited:
Besides the blacks being good, the rest is just a blurry mess with little detail.

Im fighting my camera here, with no luck, my skills with a camera is very limited, ill try see if i can get MP come over here and post a few screen shots while the rest of us is fiddeling with cameras, so there is something worth looking at.

I have a basic DSLR and just use the auto settings.

There is no agenda here except to share with other crt members there hobby. My projector is 2011 but the videochain is from December this year all new and redesigned so my machine is new and enjoy the phospor look. So my crt projector shots offend anyone is just plain silly. I been reading thus forum for many years and thought it to be of integrity and no agenda. There are 100 threads about digital and only 1 about the grandfather of display technologies why must we forget our past and reason we all started this hobby in the first place. I have shown respect in this thread for crt owners and hope they will share there hobby with the other crt owners in a fun crt only screenshot thread. Now with 1 click on my pc I can change my crt to flat and boring. And this is with my 4 gig file or full rez bluray
Copy. A screenshot can show this as well as a crt can display this.
So 110" screen that I sit 9 feet from and watch movies and share a handheld phone pic that looks better in person does say alot about the hobby I enjoy. I wonder how many people have this clarity from a crt projector and how the different brands and mods people have implemented to improve old and cheap to afford technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom