WORLDWIDE CRT PROJECTOR SHOOTOUT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by greg9518lc, Dec 26, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    DSCF0482.JPG we shall rise up

2. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    DSCF0470.JPG I'll see you soon

3. pj jevnaker

pj jevnaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Congrats on getting those Marguee's looking so good. I wish I had a crt looking so good in my hometheater.

Really great that people are pushing crt to the limit.

4. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    Thanks, at the moment its a bit of a test phase, as nothing has gotten the final touch, i got mine up hanging, but has not had the time to finish my HT room, so still misses to do a full blown magnetic and electronic setup.

Im not sure if i want to change back to LCP tubes again, as the LUG tubes are harder to work with in the Marquee with high light output.

Ill not recommend anyone going true what i did to get here, its now around 7 years and 30 crt projectors, countless mods dacs players and processors to figure out what i know today, on top of that the hole screenshot/ camera thing has been something to find out as well.

Main conclution has been that mods cant be recommendet, as most of them often trade something to get another.
    I have high hope for Gjakys mods, as he is very professional, and have figured out stuf in 2 hours, that MP has been talking about the last 10 years.. So im sure he will be a great benefit to the hobby, with a much better understaning of electronics than anyone i have seen involve themselves with CRT.

Now we just need to convince those that screem cheating when watching the screenshots, that its all about care whats going on, not overfocusing on some parameters of image quality, but a broad all around evaluation, lifting the complete set of parameters that gives it a edge, not digital enhancement and other distorting factors, i been very carefull selecting a digital videochain whos capable of producing full bit and croma resolution right at the dec, wich is far from a normal thing these days.

Ill try see if i can get the time to finish my small 3 seat CRT HT and invite to a CRT meet, your more than welcome as long as you leave you know who behind, and ill do my best to ilustrate what i have been working on, and why it look as it do.

5. pj jevnaker

pj jevnaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am going to Denmark several times this summer. I would love to see the setup. (I travel alone.)

6. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    Tough one to take a picture off.. But did my best of how its running these days.. First a screen cap, then the screenshot. i464^cimgpsh_orig - Kopi.png IMGP4161.JPG

7. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    Think you got my email. so keep me updated when your around, and ill see if we can make something work.

8. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    [​IMG] Netflix spatacus

9. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    As soon as MP has posted some new shots with not to many excuses, ill make a screen cap, and shoot the same frame here, his latest softness mods are working very very well, it making HD material look very retro/ DVD alike, im not sure if he is using som negative darbee, or enhncment to mute the colors and reduce resolution, for sure he have had luck making my 9518 in his basement look like a retro 7" CRT.

Greg im expecting you to pick up the projector in Mikes basement if its not payed in full by the end of this month, and you might be able to find it a good home after we get it restored to good working order.

I hope pj jevnaker will help confirming the purity of the screenshots and videochain if he passes by here this summer, so we can calm down the ones suspecting that the screenshots are manipulated, and videochain digitally enhanced.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  13. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I'll be in DC for 2 weeks in June on vacation so I will be glad to stop by and pick up your projectoor. Oops spelled a word wrong lol:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

14. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    Stick to posting pics.. LOL

15. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    dab44kl.jpg

Attached Files:

16. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    DSCF0485.JPG DSCF0486.JPG DSCF0490.JPG DSCF0491.JPG

17. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    DSCF0492.JPG

18. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    DSCF0501.JPG

19. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    DSCF0502.JPG all time favorite of some shots taken with camera set to original

20. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    DSCF0497.JPG

21. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    Here is 2 different shots, from the same frame..

fy File is uploadet directly from the camera, and the videochain is pure 1080P24hz converted to 1080P 72hz 195Mhz, without any image enhancement of any kind, but lot of care has been taken to preserve full bit and crom resolution all the way to the projector.

When i get some more time ill do a better setup, this is just a sloppy CRT setup for testing.

First the mighty MP mods showing off how to really blow peoples socks clean off with high res material, running low bandwidth 1080P 60hz 148Mhz with raster ringing preserved in the active image.

MP showoff.jpg IMGP4172.JPG

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  22. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    DSCF0505.JPG DSCF0508.JPG trying to match kurts exposure and aperature all wrong.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  23. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    Greg, try stop it down to f6.3, or 7,1 and longer shutte, then you might capture a bit more information.
    The color balance and saturation look much better on the last shot.

24. mp20748

mp20748
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is in response to Kurt posting about a projector I got from him here, who had six of them shipped to a local shipper to me from an auction. They were all new and I picked them up from the shipper and stored them until Kurt came by and started preparing them for shipping...

He approached me and asked if I wanted one of them. My response was NO. I had one on the ceiling that since getting free with new tubes, was only used for screenshots. I had another one in my shop that was my test unit, and one more in my enclosed carport shop. And out of all these Marquee's they were all giving to me at no cost, and also delivered at no cost and the last two of them came with new tubes. To include, a lot of my CRT customers were asking me if I wanted their Marquee because they were upgrading to Digital. Some of that I had explained, to make the point that I did not want or need another projector. And if I did, the same people that sent me the ones they had before were still asking if I needed more.

So with my answer being no, he said "if I got one it could be used for a test because it had LUG tubes in it, which was something I did not already have. Well, almost everyone knew at that time I did not like LUG tubes. But again, it did not make sense to me to get this projector

So also at the time we were dealing with two law firms and my deceased father-in-law’s estate which required that we financially maintain until the court finalize the estate. And this is something that was very well made known, to include that after we all went out to dinner at the restaurant, he once more pushed the offer, though I'm not sure if that was before we went to the restaurant or after we got there, but for sure at the table, the discussion came up again about the projector. And with our financial situation that was already known and me agreeing to another projector, would have made my wife think I had gone completely mad. So this last time he pushed it as "for boards" so for me if doing boards or exchanging boards, that would have been something that the wife would not have a problem with. So I agreed with that. But here is the condition that I had made very clear and my exact wording was this "This projector cannot become a financial burden, because it would be something I would not need at a time I would not be able to financial afford it -- just plain common sense.

Ok and later Kurt and I decided that we're not going to be getting along. So I told him that he would have to wait until the estate is closed, and that should be very soon, but being the first time dealing with an estate as such, it’s been awhile…so Kurt has since been sending emails asking when I would make some payments on the projector, and I’ve been reminding him that it’s not something I’ll be able to do, just as we said at the table and definitely something the wife would agree with knowing the conditions related to getting it and being present to hear most of the discussion on it.

So Kur has been sending emails wanting to know when, and with me ending up mentioning May as being the month the court has on the calendar to settle the estate. On the day this was supposed to happen, the sister-in-law puts in another request that sets things off one more time. And after that we were hoping to be able to at least pay something, but with the month almost being out and getting another email from Kurt to day asking for the payment and reminding that’s its may. That to include in that same email a mention about Tim needing to go into the hospital and for me to send a certain amount to Tim. And then Tim send an email saying Kurt said to send him the amount he mentioned. I was out and about because it’s a holiday, so I responded back to Kurt that I would reply once I got back. Before even getting home, a John leaves message on my cell, something about Kurt buying something from him and for me to send the money to him.

Now linking others into our discussions was very distasteful, and though different, it borders on sometime back the threats and other derogatory comments also included in the emails. And then looking on that forum, the projector sale was has already been mentioned there, so it’s there that I will respond to this. But to add, it says something very different as to Greg coming by on his vacation and picking up the projector. So this thing is all over the place, but after talking to the wife, this is what we have decided:

The life thinks and I agree that since we received a complete projector with matching tubes, we should make available a complete projector of same model as before. We will do this within the next three weeks by also making available where this projector can be picked up, and with Greg wanted to pick it up. We will provide the destination. My wife prefers that we stay with the original agreement and not involve cash in this deal. After all, the estate is still holding us hostage financially.

I’m already in the process of talks to get a replacement. And in no way would I be sending anything to anyone who was not a part of the original agreement.

25. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Taking Kurts advice with kit lens 6.7 aperature seems to be able to better capture what is on screen. hD8DXGe.jpg

26. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    dMqYV7p.jpg

27. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    [​IMG] another work in progress getting actually closer than I thought with a proper monitor all the information is there

28. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    guess I will post same shots with upping the exposure times till ai get it right qTurg9r.jpg

29. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    DSC_0097.JPG Trying out a new toy/vim:D Kurt beat this

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  30. greg9518lc

greg9518lc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: