World's First Pure Black Projector Screen Check it out!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nikboy, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Nikboy

Nikboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No, it's not a TV screen, it's the first ever pure black projector screen nano engineered by a dude right here in NZ. It's called the Black Pearl HDR Screen. Ambient light no worries - SI Black diamond is in serious trouble because this screen is only NZ$1250 for a 100" fixed screen. And it is a border free design just like the Black diamond zero edge! Blackness of this screen as good as some of the OLED TVs in the market today.
    Now, I'm not a seller, I just bought one couple of days back to use it with the Epson TW9200 - Super excited:)

Assasin Creed - home cinema

black pearl cinema screen vs white wall

Cheers,
    Nick

My Home Set Up [Epson TW9200 + 100inch Black Pearl HDR Screen + LED Backlights
    Epson TW 9200 on Black Pearl HDR Screen...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. Cartmen

Cartmen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome screen. It's a shame they don't have a 140 inch screen. Well if they had such a screen I would need a projector with a lot of lumens. But I have to say that I am really impressed with the image.

Could you make a video without ambient light and with a dark movie scene like a space scene in Gravity or a dark scene from other movie?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  3. H4rrp

H4rrp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    So I'm guessing these aren't transparent screen that can be pit in front of speakers?

4. Grondath

Grondath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    This looks pretty awesome! Do you know if it comes in a pull down version?

5. Nikboy

Nikboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes they do - see the pic attached.

Attached Files:

6. Nikboy

Nikboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You mean acoustically transparent? Will find out and let you know.

7. Nikboy

Nikboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Grondath

Grondath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I wonder if this would work well with a budget projector such as the benq w1070?

9. VALUEFORMONEY

VALUEFORMONEY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I wonder too if this would work with a benqw1070. I think it said @ http://www.simpit.co.nz/index.php/products/black-pearl-cinema in a moderate bright room you would need 3000 ansi but is the benq on @ 2000? So doesn't look good enough.

I'd be interested in how this tech works and if it could be replicated (at least to a degree) by making your own paint.

10. iamsludge

iamsludge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Good to see developments in this area :) I too would be interested in a video showing performance with lights off at night - might be okay for projectors with lower lumens?

11. ThanosIG

ThanosIG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    What's the difference between the soft and rigid screen? I have a 4k Sony vw300es will my projector be up to scratch lumens wise (1500lm but I'm sure it's lower since Iv calibrated it) no idea what the contrast is as Sony doesn't state it for some strange reason...I would like to purchase one of these in the coming months

12. carlowboy

carlowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    great job looks very impressive i must say.

couple of things id be worried on!

1. The light is coming from behind the screen.
    2. Its not shining directly into the screen.
    3. The photo with the window has a large canopy over the window blocking any direct sunlight coming into the room.
    4. It seems to find the best possible location to demo your screen, not everyone setup will be near as similar as that.

13. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,755
    Some footage under typical conditions would be much better, I don't think a set up like that is representative of what users will experience.
    An example with light from in front of the screen would be useful.

14. Nikboy

Nikboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  15. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,755
    Carlow's observations apply to these as well.
    Could you show us something in a normally light room e.g. daylight?

16. Nikboy

Nikboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey

Please note, my screen was made to order to match the brightness range of EPSON which is less than 2400 ANSI lumen. And so it's not BLACK BUT Dark ASH/Slate color.

17. carlowboy

carlowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    While the OP may be genuine, this smells of marketing imo.

The OP only joined on the 9th and posts videos, etc of product that he purchased, why would he and also to have white sheets to make comparison, the general guy doesn't do this unless asked.

If you really are genuine accept my apologizes but i think you are the manufacturer/seller.

If you want to help the DIY'er post some very close up pics of the screen/edging/rear of screen, etc so we may get idea of what the screen is made from.

18. Nikboy

Nikboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @carlowboy I'm doing this just out of pure excitement!! Did lot of mucking around researching dark screens before I decided to buy a projector. I was a bit hesitant and disappointed with what was out there. The main reason being I hated white screens, and other dark versions were all way out of my budget. That's when I found out a local guy was making pure black screen at fraction of the cost (NZ$750) compared to SI black diamond or Elite screen etc. The guy claims that this is achieved through engineering the materials at nano scale. He sent me samples to choose from, and I opted for a dark grey screen. And it worked like magic - never thought I'd be able to create something as incredible as this in terms of viewing experience in the first attempt itself, as this is my first ever projector. I had put in lot of thought before I bought the projector & the screen, so when everything worked well and I got really excited - the cinema experience is just amazing. It might be because it's my first projector experience and all that; nevertheless I think I nailed it:)!
    I live in Wellington (the capital city NZ), and this guy lives somewhere down south near Nelson.

P.S: I don't have any connection with the screen manufacturer what's so ever other than buying the product from him. I think he is a one man band, and I don't think he has got lot of marketing experience/skills. It's only by chance that I saw his ad on a site called (www.trademe.co.nz). The ad looked very ordinary and there weren't any actual pictures of the screen itself- but had a youtube video link somewhere down the page which I happened to see and that got me hooked.

I'll go home tonight and take close up pictures of the screen and post it here.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  19. Nikboy

Nikboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  20. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Personally I'm not a fan of the ambi-light nonsense. It's always looked silly and distracting to me, without adding a single thing to the perceived contrast of the display. F-U Philips for your dumb ideas!

Having said all that, the screen itself looks pretty damn good - sweet set-up ya got there.

Regards

Mark

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  21. alebleicker

alebleicker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    failed to convince, smells like cheap marketing IMO

22. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,755
    Can I ask what experience this guy has in nano materials?
    Looking at him he is a professional pilot/parachutist.

23. sipit

sipit
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, Nick is genuine customer - no cheap marketing. Yes, I used to be professional helicopter pilot and skydiver but it didn't stopped me from having hobbies and study :D, I'm also avid astrophotographer and studying physics, mathematics, optics and bit of lab work is how I keep myself sane and entertained. Past five years I'm building optical systems for simulation and doing some work on imaging systems and improving techniques for astrophotography with high ISO. To the question what experience I have with nano materials the answer is quite simple - enough to design the Black Pearl HDR and take that theory into practice and deliver functioning product that can be mass produced for relatively low cost. I would say it speaks for itself. Mainly I'm making the black pearl for simulators SimPit Technologies Ltd. - Port Motueka, New Zealand - Manufacturing | Facebook and to the home cinema I got purely by accident when I had large sheet left over and took it home (week after I bought new TV which hasn't been used much since). For the ambient light argument - yep - it's a nice gimmick but think about this: If the screen has already reasonable contrast in daylight - can you imagine the contrast and image quality when the room is dark?

24. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi Sipit, Thanks the feedback, I'm very keen on getting one these screens for my theatre room I'm going to be putting together very soon. I'm base about 100k's west of Melbourne is there anywhere in the CBD where I can demo one of your screens.

25. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    anyone else tried this screen? this looks like a great screen and not too expensive. i would appreciate anymore feedback on this.

26. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I really don't understand why you have the back-lighting.

But the screen looks great and if it really helps stop the reflection of walls etc then great.

27. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,755
    Is there a third party review of this?
    Hopefully it is a very good product and a thorough review would show this.
    Actually, are there many reviews of projection screens?

28. carlowboy

carlowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Can the manufacturer supply a sample? Please private message me, thanks.

29. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    There are a load of YouTube videos about this - some guy experimenting with different paint blends etc.

Seems real enough but the theme is you need a projector that kicks out 2000+ lumens if you look at the projectors they are using. So far as I can tell, 1500-1700 seems to be where the higher end projectors are.

30. Rich H

Rich H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    sipit,

Congratulations on your product. We can always use new interesting and useful screen technologies. Options are good!

Though, one quibble I have is that whenever the subject of these specialty dark screens come up, it is accompanied by some confusion about the nature of screens and projectors. Many people end up under the false assumption that a "black" screen will have "better black levels" or "better contrast" than a non-black or white screen, when that is not strictly speaking the case.

For instance, Nikboy had written in his OP:

"Blackness of this screen as good as some of the OLED TVs in the market today."

Which misunderstands the nature of the screen/projection relationship. The screen blackness does not of itself set the black level. Rather, for any given brightness, the black level is set by the contrast ratio of the projector. And there is no projector out there that comes close to the contrast and black levels (given a watchable brightness level) of OLED TVs. And to the degree you DO have a projector with wide contrast - e.g. a JVC projector - you can get the contrast and black levels out of it with any number of white (or gray or darker) screens.

sipit, your following comment appears to re-enforce this idea that the screen itself is somehow
    responsible for the contrast in the image:

Of course the contrast will be higher in a dark room, but no higher than with any other screen (so long as the room isn't too reflective). The dark screen substrate (with presumably some light focusing screen coating having been added) would pull ahead of the average screen in the ambient light condition. Once the lights go out, that advantage is mostly gone, so it's really the lights-on scenario in which it will show it's stuff.

(Though, if you have a reflective enough room, with the lights out that dark screen can certainly help *maintain* contrast better than many white screens, avoiding room wash out. But, one has to be aware what to attribute to the screen, vs to the room and to the projector. For instance, in a room where reflections are controlled, and using say one of the highest contrast projectors available with an adjustable iris, you would actually get higher contrast using a white screen, since you would be dialing down the iris to get the same light level as the black screen, and dialing down the iris for the white screen will get more contrast out of the projector. This is one way in which white screens can, perhaps non-intuitively, gain you contrast over darker screen surfaces).

None of this is to pick on what seems an intriguing product. But people come to the forum looking to be informed about their choices, and I offer the above with that in mind.