World Without End Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
We don’t cover that many mini-series box sets on here and the reason is quite simple, it takes a lot longer to review them than a movie or Blu-ray. Take this World Without End set for example, as well as eight episodes, each forty five minutes long, there is also the making of and a fair amount of background research to do, including reading the original book! Suffice to say in my opinion, it was worth the effort, as this is an extremely well-produced series, even if the screenplay pays no more than lip service to Ken Follett’s book at times and takes a few liberties with his quite carefully researched tome.

Set in the middle ages – and some 157 years after Pillars of the Earth, the stories are set around the Cathedral town of Kingsbridge. It is not a time of great change for the peasants, they keep on labouring under harsh rule to keep their masters fat, but as always there are political wranglings and the suspicious death of the deposed King to keep...

Read the full review...

Possibly a criticism of the book (which I have never read) rather than the video adaptation.

Did you find your self screaming at the TV telling the heroes to stop being so stupid.

They would be continually undermined by one of the badies. They would work out a way to out-do a particular baddy and what do they do - they go and tell said baddy what they intend to do. They seem surprised when the baddy comes up with a counter-move and yet they keep making the same mistake for seven and half episodes.

Cheers,

Nigel

Lol! like this!

Yes, I agree, but that aspect does follow the book, and in fact in print it is even worse.

I don't find the book a particularly riveting read, it's mainly a vehicle from one sex scene to another, with a bit of violence and vague suspense thrown in along the way.

I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth, so I'll be giving this a punt as well from your review, thanks :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom