1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World of Warcrat online - my thoughts

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by GrahamC, Dec 17, 2004.

1. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have had the privilege for the last few weeks of being a beta tester for Blizzards up coming (for Europe) online role playing game World of Warcraft. This is the first game of any sort that I have played online and it was a bit of a surprise when they accepted my application. I just thought that I would tell you guys a little of my experiences with this little adventure.

As a complete and utter green noob to online game playing the first worry was the imagined horrors of game setup but apart from the 2.5 gig start-up download (a lot even on BB) it really couldn’t have been easier. A few clicks later and SPECRUM is green…

First job is to pick a race and class, which as a long time player of the Warcraft series for me had to be Orc and as for class I picked Shaman for the mix of healing and moderate fighting abilities. When first dropped into the game world I was struck by the bright colourful graphics, which while detailed in a Disney cartoon kind of style are not your Half Life 2 realistic but do fit the 2D Warcraft RTS games perfectly into a 3D gaming world.

The game interface for me has been a joy to use. As I have gone along I have found it easy and more importantly at times quick to use (that green health bar can disappear at an alarming rate sometimes). Multiple action bars make for easy grouping of common used items; I personally have my weapons on one, buffs on another, health and regeneration etc. on another so you can get a setup that suits your style of play very easily. The options available for weapons and protection are extensive and ramp up well with your level of experience ( Orc Shaman can have leather and cloth armour at the start and can only wear mail armour at level 40 ).

The different races and classes have different sets of spells, weapons and armour of course so with the individual and overlapping sets you really get a character generated that is unique to you and your idiosyncratic choices. I honestly don’t think I have met two characters that look the same in game. Dying in the game even has a choice with it; you can resurrect yourself immediately and suffer sickness and lower stats for a short while or run and collect you corpse in ghostly form for no penalty other than time.

As well as your class training and traits you can pick a couple of trades to use. This might be a miner and blacksmith or as in my case skinner and leatherworker which gives a good source for income and trade. Which ever you choose from the many available it’s another little touch that expands the options available to you to make the game play individual to you.

Partying with other players is required at times to complete some quests but if you choose not to the game allows you to quest aplenty on your own but partying is great fun in itself and I soon found myself helping out on quests that I had completed just for fun..

So to sum up this very light skim into the World of Warcraft online role play I have to say that this game hits ‘fun’ right on the button for me. It looks and sounds great with smooth play and good ping rates. While I have been testing this out Doom 3 and Half Life 2 were released, now not the same and both spectacular games in there own right but I have had to drag myself away from this game and drag myself through them and for a jaded OLD games player like myself life’s to short and it’s a long time since I found this much fun in a game, my pre-order is already in. :thumbsup:

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    MMORPGs can be a lot of fun, yet also they are extremely draining of time. I played the original Everquest for 18 months solid and I mean solid! I practically didn't touch another game in that whole time (except for when servers are down).

I think WoW is slightly less demanding as it doesn't seem to employ unnecessary timesinks :)

I look forward to giving it a go, I am kind of glad I didn't get into the Beta Test or it would have sucked me up I think :)

3. Lee440

Lee440

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently picked up EQ2 after a long time of trying to decide between which one I wanted. I've played other MMO's similar to WoW but never had the chance to play the original EQ. I have a lot of time on my hands and I think EQ 2 may have a bit more freedom in that regard. Both seem brilliant though.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    WOW is suppsoed to be amazing going by the reports and reviews of the US release. The way that you gain XP faster when you've been offline for a bit, the shorter periods of "downtime" after battles and the general great design of the game have earned it some great scores - Gamespot game it around 95% I think. They go as far to say that it "revolutionises" the genre by learning from all the mistakes made by previous games. They go on to say that it's in a different league to any previous MMORPG.

I personally can't wait for this one - looks superb! :clap: :clap:

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yes it's a great little touch that and the game is full of these little details that make the game playable for short spells as well as longer bouts. Questing is setup well for long or short gaming sessions as well and you can make good progress which ever way you like to play. :)

6. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    just read the PC Gamer review in their latest magazine - 94%!

they were practically drooling over this and the guy reviewing it had never heard of it until it arrived as part of his workload.

my pre-order copy should arrive soon in the post just in time for the final beta test.

anybody any idea when it starts - should be any day now?

ps gthom3: i hope this will distract you from playing pro evo on the xbox, maybe give me a chance at winning! ;)

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    hehe, to be fair i've not been on it during the festive season and have been rather slack :eek: TBH I doubt any other game will get as much play from me as Pro Evo 4 in 2005 though. Although at the moment i'm enjoying playing Chronicles of Riddick on the XBox - top game!

Regarding WOW - the US game has been released a month or two and the US and the UK release is set as 25th Feb 05. :thumbsup: Personally i'm going to wait for Dark and Light to see how good that is before making my purchase as that is set for release in April.

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Speak to most "regular" MMORPG addicts and you'll likely find this is wholly untrue, like any MMORPG, WoW has it's flaws, and plenty of them...

9. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Darn - just returned home hoping to find my copy of WoW (beta) and it's not arrived :(

i knew I shouldnt have bought stuff online over xmas, curses!!

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    How have you "bought" the beta :confused:

11. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I ordered a copy on eBay - the bloke I bought it off has another 40 copies I think? Comes with the authorisation key needed to play it.

12. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    And the Final Beta has begun. Installing it now, can't wait to see for myself what all the fuss is about this game! I'm expecting big things from WoW...

13. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Having finished HL2, Halo2 and a pretty healthy way throgh Doom3 and GTA SA Im looking for a new game to take up my time - Im thinking of either WoW or EQ2 - my brother is playing EQ2 and loves it - hes been a gamer even longer than me and says its the best thing he has even seen - HL2 and Halo2 online have even not gotten his time :) So Im going to keep an eye on this thread - at the moment Im hedging towards EQ2 - especially as with a station sub from sony I can keep my PSide sub and also get some of the adventure packs for free ... so keep this thread going with updates etc ... thanks, monkey b

14. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well, after a few hours of play - I am totally hooked. It's just such a shame I have a job and responsabilities otherwise I'd be on this all day!

I know its not even retail version yet and they still have issues to sort but its pretty solid from what I've been exposed to. This game is huge - I've only explored a tiny tiny peice of it.

I will write more once i've had a proper play of it.

In this meantime MonkeyLeader, you may find these links useful - the second compares EQ2 and WoW.

Gamespot review

EQ2 v WoW

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    WoW is supposed to be the better game out of that and EQ2 from what i've read. EQ2 seems to be nothing really innovative, just more of the same with better graphics.

The game i'm waiting for (and have been for over a year) is Dark & Light. See here.
    This looks superb with - a computer generated landscape (i.e. it's generated by the engine not manually modelled by someone) which allows a huge 100,000 sq km world (which is actually round and will eventually be circumnavigatable), a proper worldwide weather system with wind that affects the landscape & everything in it including the players, snow which had a mass and piles up on the ground changing the entire landscape, covering up things like buildings etc, a proper political & economic model where players can build & run their own villages, towns & cities etc.

It's been in development a while but it due out in March or April this year so i'm holding out for it as you only really have time to get into & play one MMORPG at a time I find.

Check out the site, if the game is half as impressive as they say it will be then it should be the best MMORPG out there by a country mile.

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Same as WoW then, but with cartoon graphics instead of "better" ones? ;)

17. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Have just entered the WoW Beta after eventually getting the download thingy working.

Instant impressions are much more favourably then EQ2.

Had to stave off a raid by the Alliance last night, great fun.. Me and 15 other taurens charging after a lone paladin after the rest of his friends had been killed. Brilliant! :thumbsup: