1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Starvald, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone here, like me, been grabbed by WOW?

Just been visiting my mates for the weekend, and while they've been at work, just got grabbed by it..... started playing at 9:45 this morning, got kicked off at 18:00!

Man this game can eat up some time...........

I'm having difficulty adjusting to real life now :rotfl:

2. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    This is one seriously life-sapping game, in a word........awesome.

Dead easy to get into and so much to do

Life as a dwarf...............magic!!

3. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Never played any online games yet...but tempted by WOW..love RPGs and trolls & wizards.

is it easy to get into?
    is it easier if you,ve played warcraft before ( I have'nt!!)
    what does it cost per month??

Ta

Jai

4. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    cost per month

between £8 and £9 depending on how long you get a subscription for

no real need to have played warcarft before - it helps really only in knowing some of the history, but thats not remotley imperative to the game

most of it is relatively easy - and if you concentrate on working out the in game chat, and doing the first basic quests, it leads you in pretty well -- and when you know how to use the chat properly, you can always ask the other players in game for advice .... or to team up to complete difficult tasks

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Good advice on the chat, this is not to say you have to study for two days but just get the basics in game, it will help alot. How do people feel about an AVforums guild. :)

6. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    :thumbsup:

7. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Count me in.

8. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    if people want a guild - you will probably all need to be on the same server ... probably the same side ( either allaince of horde )

are people playing PvP or PvE

I am currently on Azrune PvE with my first character - level 12 Night Elf Druid.
    ...running around in Bear form and having a good laugh.
    I only managed to pick up the game on Mon night - and installed it by 23:30, so i have not had that much game time so far.

I think you might have problems with calling the guild 'avforums' because there seems to be some rules regarding real world names in game - theres a long list of what you can't use on the games site.

I would sugguest everybody agreeing before hand what type of server , side and such to be on - then a roughy agreed time - and all join a specific server with low numbers on atm - so there is a chance that later arrivals have a chance of still joining.

..... and note, unless you all become the same race, you will not really see each other till you have gone up to level 10 or so - because races are often stuck in there own newbie areas while they get to a certain level -- not really physically limited by doors or blocks - more by creatures and costs - you don't want to go wandering too far as a level 1 or 2 character ...... or you will spend alot of time traveling miles to resurect your body every 2 mins

9. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'm on Turalyon as a lvl 19 Orc Shaman, now I thought that WOW was an all encompassing world if players from one server can't meet another player on another server what's all encompassing about that. If we all go to say Crossroads then we should all be able to partay.... :D. I understand that the two faction will not be able to Guild because they are different factions.

Or have I got it all wrong.. :thumbsdow

10. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    from my understanding so far:

The servers are all independant world entities - each is a facimily of the others in terms of lands, towns , quests etc.

with 380,000 players, no server could handle the amount of information for every player to be on the same world.
    So thats broken up into say: 1,000 players on each instance of a server.
    You can interact and see all the other players on your server, but your character simply does not exist on others.

When I start the game, I start in the location of my race - as I progress ( level 10 ) I get quests that take me closer to other races areas and you start to see dwarfs, humans, etc etc - I have not as yet seen any Horde faction players .. but that I expect will come later.

I would assume that should they wish, high level players with no fear of travel could wander over to the begineers areas for other races and interact with them - but alliance and horde players would not easily interact at any time

11. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I though that player servers may 'feed' a game world server, this is an idea in my head but remember ideas/dreams/fantasys are all in there so who knows. :rotfl: Do we know if you can transfer a char to another server. :confused:

12. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I've not found an option to so far - i am currently at work atm - will take a really close look tonight - I am newer to the game than you, so I may have made a mistake or got the wrong idea about something - don't atm take what I say as read.

13. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Looks like what I said above is true,

from the offical site:

Select Your Realm (server)

First you need to select your realm. You will need to contact your friends and pick the same realm so that you can all play together; characters on different realms cannot play with each other. It's best to pick a realm that is closest to your area to prevent "lag", but you are not restricted from playing on a realm further from your location.

Horde vs. Alliance Split

The Horde is battling the Alliance in the World of Azeroth. Horde and Alliance players are unable to group/party with each other, trade, create guilds, or even talk to each other unless both players have learned a common language. If you wish to play with other friends, make sure you select races that are allied with each other. You can have characters on your account of either Horde or Alliance faction on the Player vs. Environment servers. On Player vs. Player servers you can only have either Horde or Alliance characters but not both. You and your friends must choose whether you all will create Alliance or Horde characters to play together. When selecting your race we suggest you first read about the racial bonuses.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    All MMORPG's have various servers which have different instances of the game running on each of them. Dark and Light is going to be different with one huge world that everyone enhabits.

15. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Ethics, seems clear that and looks like it will need a new creation to get a setup for members (OK by me). A least you can keep current chars for single play as it were. I suppose I could set a poll for Alliance or Horde and we could setup a team of five as you need 10 for a guild. I thought a poll just in case there are more than 2/3 wanting to join. :)

16. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Right just setup a poll to gauge the reaction of forum members.:clap:

17. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Hehe, I was looking forward to this game, but fortunately travelling saved me from blurry eyes :)

I would definately recommend PVP, PVE is very boring IMO after playing EQ. WoW has got it right, much like Dark Age of Camelot where it is not full PVP. PVP has that edge of excitement of when you are hunting you have to keep an eye out for everything. And in EQ which was full PVP it also moderated the community, those who were friends were good friends, and you would rarely get abuse off other players unless they wanted to fight.

It also makes the higher levels more interested as you can go fight humans which are far more interesting than fighting goblin no. 506040.